Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No interest in Pogue?

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
The greatest collection of our lifetimes has a sale in two days and not a single thread? Hmmmmm

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analyst had a good thread on the 1798 reverse of 1795 small eagle $5 PCGS AU55 which I found very informative.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to vicariously enjoying these amazing coins.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I checked just a couple of days ago and saw a few coins that didn't have a single bid.
    Maybe everyone is waiting for the LIVE PARTY EVENT?
    Some folks probably don't want to draw attention to the coins they are interested in either.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    What coins are everyone interested in watching?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the nice ones.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    What's the capped bust right half eagle with the best eye appeal?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had you read the thread titles recently, you wouldn't be at all surprised. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that my personal feelings are much like many other collectors who read and post here.
    I enjoy looking at the coins, but have no way to competively bid on any of them.
    Maybe that is why there is not much action here.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    kinda hard to have interest in coins out of my league
    maybe i'm not alone in such
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I started on last week, but it faded into oblivion.

People like you, so at least you got some responses.
    But as LVT stated, most coins are out of our leagues.

The best thread I've seen was Charmey's LB show report that had a great picture of the display.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested in the auction, more so the day after!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that my personal feelings are much like many other collectors who read and post here. I enjoy looking at the coins, but have no way to competively bid on any of them. Maybe that is why there is not much action here. >>

I think YSM has nailed it. The coins are insanely cool, and more compelling by themselves than the public exercise of putting a number on their value. Dealers and bidders may not necessarily agree, but their numbers are few image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time to be excited about these coins is when they're being shown at shows. As for the auction itself, mortals need not attend. I'll continue to drool over the coins as they're paraded at shows and perhaps pick up a catalog as I can, and the promised QDB Pogue Sylloge (pity those words don't rhyme).
  • Options
    The nice thing about Brent Pogue's coins is that many of them have long established pedigrees so the coins are interesting to trace and have interesting histories both in collections and at various auctions.

The auctions themselves can be very interesting from a bidding and excitement perspective.

Because of that, the coins could be interesting whether one is a contender or not.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I wouldn't love to own every single pogue coin, there is nothing in this auction #2 that fits my collecting intrest at this time that I can afford.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1795 $10, amazing!!!
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in the auction, more so the day after!

Pretty much this. Yes, the coins are fantastic and the sale will be fun to watch. (I'm going to attend in person, and probably won't buy a thing.) But there's not much to discuss until after we see the results.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very interested, but the 2 coins I've been bidding on have doubled the guide price and any previous auction result.....and it hasn't even gone live.

This auction is for the collector that has lots of disposable income and is really buying the coin for themselves, to keep, or for clients.

On that note, MOST who are serious in this auction could care less to converse with the average collector on an online forum. Not to say there aren't a couple on here and that is great, but you get my point.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(LVT) kinda hard to have interest in coins out of my league maybe i'm not alone in such image >>

I tried not to get too wrapped around the axle in these big named collections, especially after ogling those and then having to look at my agglomeration. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market has changed in the past few months. Today the big money is after ultra-modern minor varieties that require 20x magnification to be seen.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is some great material there, but I've learned that I barely afford to buy coins in the "No Name" auctions these days. I bid retail prices and still get blown out of the water. If I am going to pay beyond retail, I have to see the item.

There is only one coin in the Pogue collection that I really want, and I know I can't afford it. I thought about saving for a year to try to buy it, but gave up on on my "Pennies for Pogue" project soon after I started it. I could save up the few hundred thousand I think it will bring and get there to find that the bid is several hundred thousand.

The Pogue sale is not for guys like me. I am mostly an AU to low end Mint State collector. I am not in the Pogue League; I'm a Class A minor league player when it comes to sales like this.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got an interest, but I ain't got any money. >>

It's hard getting interested in coins that I can never afford.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose collectors have as much interest in watching this auction and the high priced coins in it as they would in watching Robin Leach.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My most valuable coin is a 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle in NGC MS-62. Pogue had one in PCGS MS-62. Pogue's coin went for more than three times what I paid. I have seen Pogue's coin, and it is better than my piece, but it's not three times better.

It is very hard to buy anything in these name sales. Getting your hopes up is something like the story of the kid in the candy store who is too short to reach the counter. The kid is better off going to a smaller candy store that is selling Hershey bars and not Godiva Chocolates.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that Godiva is not three times better than Hersheys.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    It was nice of them to have the sale on my daughter's 18th birthday! image

I hope that everyone who is there and is following the action enjoys it.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in awe. That's beyond interest.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The Pogue sale is not for guys like me. I am mostly an AU to low end Mint State collector. I am not in the Pogue League; I'm a Class A minor league player when it comes to sales like this. >>

Bill: In reference to your above quoted post, don't sell yourself short when it comes to being a true Major Leaguer when it comes to using your discerning collecting eye to acquire very high eye appealing Choice to Gem AU and Choice Lower Mint State Type Coins that are beautiful, and also are a compelling value proposition.

My collecting tastes are very similar to yours, and I know how challenging it can be to find a Choice to Gem AU-58 with stunning eye appeal, amongst a lot of average looking processed coins. For me it's a combination of the fun of the hunt, and the satisfaction of acquiring a superior appearing coin that is either conservatively or under-graded. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would agree that Godiva is not three times better than Hersheys. >>

Lindt is 90% as good as Godiva at half the price. Mmmm, chocolate coins image
  • Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    If I could bid on them, I'd have a lot more interest in the auction. Still, it's quite an event.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The greatest collection of our lifetimes has a sale in two days and not a single thread? Hmmmmm >>

Great coins, but for the average collector, they are totally out of reach. I personally am not interested in coins that I cannot afford, or that do not fit my collection.

Tyler
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices that are likely to be realized at that sale are so far beyond the reach of 99% plus of collectors that they just don't feel the rush. They are coins they know they will never own and are just not getting excited about them.

The sale will probably do well anyway because it is for the 1% who can afford them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm not interested because the new pcgs slabs won't fit in my ngc box. image
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

halfcentman wrote:

<< <i>It was nice of them to have the sale on my daughter's 18th birthday! image

I hope that everyone who is there and is following the action enjoys it. >>

Cool. How many lots are you planning on buying for her from the Pogue auction? image

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion the timing of the sale is not optimum....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No interest in Pogue? >>

a general search turns up dozens of threads.

when such sales are planned and marketed so far in advance, much of the hype wears down and strategy, finance planning, research etc. pick up where the initial shock leaves off.

i don't miss the days when big auctions netted several threads that sat at the top for weeks. i'm just one though.

i (as well as many others) eagerly await the action though!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The prices that are likely to be realized at that sale are so far beyond the reach of 99% plus of collectors that they just don't feel the rush. They are coins they know they will never own and are just not getting excited about them.

The sale will probably do well anyway because it is for the 1% who can afford them. >>

+1
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    It's on my calendar, and my spread sheet is ready. I won't be bidding, but I sure would like to.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    In a baseball analogy, I am barely in the D League, yet I love to watch the major leagues! As with others, I will be looking at the final auction figures for these auctions. Among the DEEP pocket collectors, there are some coins that will not be available again for decades after this auction. At first I was going to suggest the minor pull back of the market might dampen the enthusiasm of the bidders, and then I realized that they are immune in terms of our hobby and that the very top end coins will be pushed to new heights IMHO.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading the catalog entries is a numismatic education in itself. The collection is staggering in its breadth and quality.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    All done 30 mins ago. The cheapest hammer price is $12500 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all so exciting!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    DeepCoin: "In a baseball analogy, I am barely in the D League, yet I love to watch the major leagues."

Me, too, while it is not necessary to watch major league games to play baseball, it is necessary to learn about the major leagues to understand the role of baseball in American culture.

IMO, part of the fun of being a collector of classic U.S. coins is to be part of a community and a subculture. The greatest collections are central to this culture.

Hydrant: "Hype sells."

The Pogue I sale was hyped to a greater extent than the Pogue II sale, yet the Pogue II sale fared much better. Obviously, there are many other factors to take into consideration and learn about. Hype is just one factor among several.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, Part 9 – US Gold Coin Rarities Bring Strong Prices

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file