Home Precious Metals
Options

Would you add some pre 1933 gold to your stack?

BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
I'm thinking in the lines of certified $5 coins that have defects marked "genuine" by PCGS or another reputable company? The reason why I ask is the gains on these are not taxable. Is that correct? My local B&M dealer had a common date marked genuine by PCGS for $325. Would you, or would you not, recommend this strategy? Simply because of tax purposes.

*edit*
One other question. Is it worth the premium to buy graded MS63-64 for investment purposes long term. I guess that's a metter of perspective? Get the benefit of a collector's bug being satisfied and investment?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think the gains are not taxable?
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking in the lines of certified $5 coins that have defects marked "genuine" by PCGS or another reputable company? The reason why I ask is the gains on these are not taxable. Is that correct? My local B&M dealer had a common date marked genuine by PCGS for $325. Would you, or would you not, recommend this strategy? Simply because of tax purposes.

*edit*
    One other question. Is it worth the premium to buy graded MS63-64 for investment purposes long term. I guess that's a metter of perspective? Get the benefit of a collector's bug being satisfied and investment? >>

It's real simple, you shouldn't in anyway be involved in this type or any pm type of "investment", if your are a collector then by all means enjoy, and stay one...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>What makes you think the gains are not taxable? >>

I may be thinking wrong, but I thought profits from coins is not taxable

<< <i>
    It's real simple, you shouldn't in anyway be involved in this type or any pm type of "investment", if your are a collector then by all means enjoy, and stay one... >>

Do you mean invest in PMs? If so, are you looking in long terms as these being a simple protection against loss or you just don't do bullion at all? Or, another question. Do you mean keep your hobbies and investments as two completely separate things?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Profits from the sale of collectable US coins are most certainly taxable. Why would you think otherwise?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Profits from the sale of collectable US coins are most certainly taxable. Why would you think otherwise? >>

Never mind. I got confused between profit and sales tax. Just occurred to me. image

With that said, does anyone have a strategy of what I mentioned below or are your numismatic collections and PM stacking a separate purpose?

<< <i>One other question. Is it worth the premium to buy graded MS63-64 for investment purposes long term. I guess that's a matter of perspective? Get the benefit of a collector's bug being satisfied and investment? >>

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've collected both bullion gold and
    numismatic gold. I been very happy
    with my results !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Thanks. I guess my concern is the exorbitant premium with nicely graded coins. I get the premium for BIN prices on ebay. Fees take much of that blame. They just don't seem to be moving at those prices.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Why not buy a roll of raw $20 libs in VF ? Sometimes the buy premiums are below spot ( not right now though, spot at $1127. )

BUY/SELL INDICATIONS FOR UNCERTIFIED GOLD
    Jewelry VF XF A B
    $1 TYPE 1 0/225 0/235 0/245 0/260
    $1 TYPE 3 0/250 0/260 0/275 0/295
    $2.5 LIBERTY 0/285 0/295 0/310 0/325
    $2.5 INDIAN 0/270 0/280 0/295 0/310
    $3 GOLD 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
    $5 LIBERTY 0/349 0/356 0/366 0/385
    $5 INDIAN 0/375 0/383 0/413 0/436
    $10 LIBERTY 0/629 0/639 0/652 0/667
    $10 INDIAN 0/662 0/673 0/710 0/726
    $20 LIBERTY ** 0/1,285 0/1,295 0/1,305 0/1,320
    $20 SAINT ** 0/1,300 0/1,310 0/1,320 0/1,335

Lot of fun playing flipsies with raw double eagles plus you'll

and want to go and buy another roll afterwards image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're stacking and you make a profit on your stack, it's taxable. ( Either as income or capital gains)
    No need to add pre '33 coins to your stack. They're collectible coins and if you can buy them below FMV, you can do well in this environment, but I would avoid "genuine" and try for AU to MS (generics) Those are common dates with a little premium added.
    I think you will enjoy numismatics more than bullion. Avoid the term "stack" and think "Stacks". It goes with Bowers.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd wait until gold drops below $900
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd wait until gold drops below $900 >>

Looooooooonnnnnngggggggg wait...... image Cheers, RickO