Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo Experts Needed 1927-S RPM or Over Mint Mark?new image added

This is the mint mark from my 1927-S buffalo nickel. I can see another mintmark under the S but am not sure if it is another s that is reverse or inverted or could it be a D? I need help on this one as I have not found much information on this date and mint mark with these issues.

image
image
image

Comments

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what you see but I do not know of a 27-S/S or 27-S/D of any sort.
    CPG/Variety Vista/CONECA have not documented one either.
    Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard of nor can find any reference to a 27-s double mint mark. What your showing I believe is a die chip that worked it's way into this area. I gotta say it is strange looking.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is definitely something there... the S is so damaged it is hard to say what it may be. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locating a mint state example will confirm your findings.


    Leo

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options


    << <i>Locating a mint state example will confirm your findings.


    Leo >>



    This is a high AU low ms coin and I will get some more images as it is not a die chip.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may have a "discovery" variety...those are the BEST...I am working on one myself...different denomination though.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options


    << <i>Sounds like you may have a "discovery" variety...those are the BEST...I am working on one myself...different denomination though. >>



    This is of course the hope. Who should I send it to?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably just a badly eroded die. San Francisco did a terrible job of hardening dies in the mid-20's.
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Probably just a badly eroded die. San Francisco did a terrible job of hardening dies in the mid-20's. >>



    ^^This^^^
  • Options

    I am really sick right now but I will try to get better images as I just quickly used my dinolite microscope. I have seen many abraded dies, worn dies, die chips etc and in hand this does not look like any of those. I have seen many Over mint marks and repunched Mint marks and that is what it looks like. What I really need is a second in hand review of the coin. Does anyone hgave any suggestions who I can send it to. Would Wexler be a good idea?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Wexler comes to mind...I believe his handle is "coinpro".
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file