Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sept 26, 2015: Anticlimactic record-setting silver coin #166

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Got out yesterday to the spot that yielded 5 silver coins last weekend. Didn't even remember how many was needed to break the 165 record, but I knew it wasn't many. Started with a WTN within 5 minutes. Then a few minutes later a 1943 WTN. Things slowed down for a bit after that with a few wheat cents, and a junk ring. A while later got a scratchy signal and was surprised to see a merc come out. There was another piece of misc metal in the hole, disguising the target. The ground is inconsistent here, being diggable in some areas, but rather dry in others. My buddy and I were getting a little tired, but wanted to hit a small section before we left. This section is probably 5 feet wide and maybe 30 feet long. Got a silver Roosevelt there last week, but it's very rooty there. Got a buffalo nickel right off. Then got a deeper quarter signal. Dug down, but it was only a clad quarter. Re-scanned, and found another quarter signal... but another clad. Doh! Move over about 2 feet and get a deeper dime signal. The roots were pretty bad, so I figured there might be a scratch or two on whatever comes out. Finally got it out and see the beautiful sight of silver! Turned out to be a merc, but I did scrape the very edge a little. Thought for a second if it could be #166 but I didn't know!

Finally got home and checked Excel. It was 166 - a new one-year silver coin record.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. You're exactly 100 ahead of me, lol. I've got 66 U.S. silver coins for the year.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations. You're exactly 100 ahead of me, lol. I've got 66 U.S. silver coins for the year. >>

Thanks Bayard! 66 is a quality sum, and with two months or so left, you'll keep that climbing. If I hadn't found this one special spot this year, I'd probably be hovering around 50 silver coins (assuming instead of detecting there I would have gone elsewhere). The "silver beach" has yielded 123 silver coins and is by far the biggest factor in this year's numbers. It's certainly been quantity over quality as most of the coins from that spot are probably half weight or less.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice job! Maybe it is fitting that a simple Merc help set the record image.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! You're 166 ahead of me! image

'Course I've only been out one time since 2013, and haven't even dug so much as a stinkin' Zincoln.

But with the weather hopefully cooling off soon, I'll have to get out.

Truth be told, I'd be perfectly happy with a Merc. They always put a smile on my face.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... 166 with still three months to go (if winter starts late) ..... stretch goal = 200 ....WOW!! What a record year that would be... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that you are 166 ahead of me for the year.image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that you are 166 ahead of me for the year.image >>

thats 165 more then me. i got a silver quarter a month back at the coffee shop
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Your 161 ahead of me but October has traditionally been my best silver month so look out. image
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Looks like my October luck is still good. Dug a '57 Rosey today. Only 160 more to catch up. image
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like my October luck is still good. Dug a '57 Rosey today. Only 160 more to catch up. image >>

Sneaking up Dock! It'll be another 4 to 5 days before I get out again, so you got plenty of time to catch up.