Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Listing Disclaimer for a 1979 Topps baseball wax box

Thought this was a rather curious caveat in the following listing:

"I cannot guarantee that these will authenticate through BBCE. If you plan to purchase and send in, that is your own option. I do not take returns on boxes or graded cards."

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the seller accidentally inserted "cannot guarantee" where he meant to say "highly doubt".
    Steve
    I would be cautious with buying a box that is wrapped in unmarked cellophane when that box was not originally released in cellophane wrapping (to my knowledge).
    Steve
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be cautious with buying a box that is wrapped in unmarked cellophane when that box was not originally released in cellophane wrapping (to my knowledge). >>

Not to mention the fact that he has listed and relisted the same boxes over and over again with same bidder with 121 FB bidding on all and only these boxes...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is another seller springowl that has two 1980 baseball and one 1979 football boxes that has basically the same thing in the description but they don't mention BBCE. They have sold several 1978-80 baseball and football boxes with the same two buyers getting most of them.
    James
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>with the same two buyers getting most of them. >>

doesn't that probably mean there's a couple folks willing to take the risk at those prices?

i'm seeing several different sellers say essentially the same thing. probably not the way to do business unless you know something that you aren't disclosing. similar to autographs, what's the risk of offering money back if it doesn't authenticate?
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought hundreds of raw boxes off of Ebay and only had problems with 5 or 6 being bad.
    James
    I agree with James that the risk of buying unopened on eBay is not as high as sometimes stated on these boards. With a little due diligence and common sense you can be pretty successful buying unopened on there. I have bought a lot of rack packs (including HOF RC's on top) as well as cello, wax and rack boxes and have only had less than 5 that were bad. The reason I said I wouldn't buy a cellophane wrapped box (non BBCE) is because then I would have to alter the packaging to verify its contents.
    Steve
    The % of resealed raw wax on ebay may be lower for 1980s boxes, but for pre-1980 product, the majority of raw wax is resealed or questionable at best, in my experience. Navigating ebay for raw wax product from 1980 or earlier is an absolute minefield.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure there's a lot of good wax on ebay. The only reason to buy raw on ebay is to get it at a lower price than it would run in an authenticated auction. I guess I'm just not much for high risk/medium reward. I'd rather pay fair market for authenticated or from a trusted seller on the board.

Arthur
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I've delt with that seller. As a matter of fact I just received a refund today for 3k+ after fighting with them threw one of there other account for those exact same 1979 wax boxes. Steve rejected all of them and said there resealed bad. They have multiple accounts in different states. Here are the ones I'm aware of:

Text

Text

Text
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The % of resealed raw wax on ebay may be lower for 1980s boxes, but for pre-1980 product, the majority of raw wax is resealed or questionable at best, in my experience. Navigating ebay for raw wax product from 1980 or earlier is an absolute minefield. >>

Exactly. And with that disclaimer, 100% change it's fraud.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add they will not give any refunds/returns. You will have to go threw eBay and even then they fought me tooth and nail. I had to have Steve speak with eBay on my behalf. Big time headache😡

<< <i>Just to add they will not give any refunds/returns. You will have to go threw eBay and even then they fought me tooth and nail. I had to have Steve speak with eBay on my behalf. Big time headache😡 >>

IMO, this is the main reason why it's not worth the risk~even though you may get your money back in the end, bidding on a questionable auction with no returns is just not worth the risk or the headache.

ETA: I'm glad you were able to get your money back in the end.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to add they will not give any refunds/returns. You will have to go threw eBay and even then they fought me tooth and nail. I had to have Steve speak with eBay on my behalf. Big time headache😡 >>

Thanks for this info. That's just pretty awesome that Steve took the time to actively intercede on your behalf.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    You might be the reason, addicted, that the seller includes that disclaimer now.

Nick
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather zip up my jeans with reckless abandon after a good squirt than buy raw unopened off ebay.

Arthur >>

Now that's funny!
    Mike
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

This guy Springowl has sold nearly $7k in vintage packs over the last month. All of them more than likely resealed.

sold listings

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The % of resealed raw wax on ebay may be lower for 1980s boxes, but for pre-1980 product, the majority of raw wax is resealed or questionable at best, in my experience. Navigating ebay for raw wax product from 1980 or earlier is an absolute minefield.

I bought two raw 1987 Topps Football Wax Boxes off ebay, went 0-2. In this case the packs did look good to me. I still have the boxes, I'll probably crack them live somewhere if anyone is interested in seeing a resealed box opened.

Mike
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I'd rather zip up my jeans with reckless abandon after a good squirt than buy raw unopened off ebay.

Arthur

How did you get the beans above the Frank?

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • @ArtVandelay said:
    This guy Springowl has sold nearly $7k in vintage packs over the last month. All of them more than likely resealed.

The key is to price the packs so low that buyers feel like they're taking a calculated risk.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

It seems like there is a never-ending source of people willing to shell out for this quite obvious scam. I am more mystified at how people can continue to perpetrate this high level fraud without any repercussions.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Where are they getting all of their wrappers with the continuous listings sellers like tbine do? It is never-ending.