Home U.S. Coin Forum

Spin Off on the 1864 Dime Post What would PCGS Grade this 1844 Dime?

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please don't take this post the wrong way. This is the only way I am able to Post Pictures on the forum at this point aside from favors from Logpotato!0

Given the liberal opinions on the 64 dime I thought I would post this! 1844 Dime

It has been offered for awhile so I am curious what the folks here think!

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure they would but there is certainly one way to find out.

The photos leave a bit to be desired. The right OBV field and left OBV field might have an "X" and the REV seems to have an "X" and then it is hard to tell what is going on in other areas. Better photos might yield better opinions.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have held that PCGS graders take careful notice of all contact marks on smaller size denominations when considering a final grade. Although the coin may have the general details of XF, the two contact marks on Liberty's left forearm and wrist, and the vertical mark on reverse coming from the top of the wreath ribbon bow are noticeable enough to net it to VF.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably the pic, but I don't like this dime as much as the 1864.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try to take better photos tomorrow but my skills and equipment are limited. image

<< <i>It's probably the pic, but I don't like this dime as much as the 1864. >>

While I have my 44 in hand...from the pictures I'll take mine any day of the week. Dang I need to get better with these smaller coins! Don't have a problem with my Half's!
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the 1844 is a bit over rated, as all seated dime collectors came to realize when heritage was dumping a 600+ piece hoard on the market years ago, although most of them have been absorbed, the market never fully recovered. heritage was selling 20 coins a week for what seemed like years. all the while collectors were realizing just how many 1844 dimes were really out there. an 1844 dime is much easier to buy then sell. if you are buying a piece for your set, I would definitely hold out for a better one, especially if your budget is in that range. that isn't what I would call an XF. the 1844 as a date had a decent survival rate, many of them floated around in the moderate Philadelphia climate for 50 some years and apparently werent abused as the scarcer san fran coins were. again if you are buying one for your set, I would keep looking, if I was selling that coin I would take the first 600-700 that anyone offered. I have a nice fine in my set that accosted me all of $100 and there is no rush to upgrade it, as nicer ones are available
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of this coin at all. It has an "I've been fooled with" look to it that was placed there in response to an original "I've been fooled with" look. It othere words it looks to me that the piece might have been hairlined from a cleaning, and then had the medal smoothed out to cover the hairlines.

In its defense the MS-66 graded example that is on "Coin Facts" has the same sort "watery" look on Ms. Liberty's seated portrait, but the color of this piece looks fishy to me. There is nothing original about the color.

It might be combination of the date state and cleaning, but buy my advice from the picture would be "Run Forest run!"
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    I finally revised my listing and took better pictures. I fully intended to crack this coin out and resubmit again but never got around to it. I Must say I am surprised at all the negative comments. This coin has absolutely no signs of Hairlines and is a strong XF in my opinion! I also have seen worse graded problem free! From the pictures I also firmly believe this coin is much less problematic than the 64 dime being discussed!

Yes...the 44's came out in droves but they were all lower grades and many with problems. The 44 is still a tough coin at this grade level!
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    im not being negative, im being honest. the reason its been for sale is that one can buy a problem free for the same money, crack it and re-sub it, when its problem free again it will be worth more
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could just be your images but beyond the X it looks like it was mildly cleaned at some point.

That being said there's not much out there that age that hasn't been monkeyed with to some degree.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file