Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Super cool roll search find!

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I roll search frequently. I find my share of early Jeffersons and war nickels. I even find a few buffs still roaming around. This is my first V nickel I have ever found in a box. I thought Id share it with the other roll searchers out there!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Straight from the bank?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool! Straight from the bank? >>

You got it. In a $100 box I picked up. I still have half the box to go through. I cant wait to see what else Ill find. Already had lots of nickels from the 40s and 50s, now this!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Finds like that are great. Every now and then, I will throw and Buffalo or Liberty nickel out in circulation. I do wheats, too, but not as fun as the others. image

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That's pretty neat. It's nice to have a few of those still circulating!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

That may not be a valuable coin, but finding it is amazing! I used to search rolls of nickels myself and the oldest find I ever had was a 1915-P Buffalo with a date that was barely legible.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome find. The thrill of the hunt is what keeps us unwrapping those rolls. And a find like that brings a little of the magic back into coins that we all had in childhood collecting.
    Congrats!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is super cool. Fun!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing for sure
    imageimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I found a 1911 back in May.

It looks like there is still plenty of coins floating around in circulation, waiting for a collector.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet that got the adrenaline going, regardless of condition
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find, any V or Buff nickel would be a first for me
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOVE posts like this!!!
    Makes my day!!!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Agreed it is surprising to find...but value?
    Ya gotta have nothing else to do.
    Just sayin'
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Great find! Closest I've ever come to something like that was getting a Buffalo in change once ...
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it too, nice find
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very neat find.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent 20-30 of these. If you're in south jersey maybe it's one of them. To date, no cashier has questioned (or noticed) one as spent. BTW look out for the 1913image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sort through each roll I open at the register till, I have found a few Buffs & War Nicks, but no Liberty Nickels...yet.

I place those "keepers" in a small container.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! You found the "needle in the haystack!"image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Two questions...

1. How do you request the large amounts of rolls without getting rolls back of freshly-minted 2015 coins?

2. After you've opened the rolls, how do you "dispose" of the bulk of the coins? Roll them back up or dump them in one of the machines and get $0.95 on the dollar?

Years ago when I'd search through rolls, the banks weren't too keen at wanting my rolls and would want my account number for when they'd open them, count them and reroll them in suspicion of being stiffed. Getting and returning rolls provides no benefit for the bank and just creates some work for them.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is indeed a cool find, I have found about a couple of dozen of them - since 2007. Earliest is an 1888 found last year, most valuable is an 1894 from about 3 years ago. I sometimes go 6-8 months without seeing one in rolls.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Is it still reasonably possible to get rolls of half dollars at banks? Several months ago I asked for half dollar rolls from my credit union and was told they don't have any half dollars anywhere. Has the half dollar pretty much gone out of circulation? Back in the late 1990s I was getting half dollar rolls and pulling out the many 40% silver ones. Never found any 90% silver ones.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Nice!!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've spent 20-30 of these. If you're in south jersey maybe it's one of them. To date, no cashier has questioned (or noticed) one as spent. BTW look out for the 1913image >>

And if you're on the west coast, it might be one I've spent or put in a tip jar over the years... looks kinda familiar.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file