Home Metal Detecting

Aug 29/30th: 2 Gold and 24 silvers!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Took the long drive out to the silver spot in hopes of making some good finds. Had two sessions planned - last night and this morning.

Yesterday got a nice vintage 10k gold ring with a green stone. Hoping it's a emerald, but it might be glass. Got 12 silver coins, a sterling Catholic pendant, a sterling ring with a red stone, a sterling US Navy something or other, and a sterling adjustable ring. First precious metal adjustable ring I've found. Also got a few other trinkets and other keepers.

Got out today and it seemed forever for the first silver to show up, but a merc finally did. Also got 5 well-preserved Buffalo nickels. Got 6 more silver dimes. Thought in the hunt I only had two clad quarters, but upon getting them home, it looks like one is 1935. Being brown didn't help, but two of the mercs are brown as well. Also got a nice wedding band. The only marking I see is a hand-inscribed name, "AL". It must be a bit older. You can see where it was resized, it is mis-colored. Also got what might part of a vintage watch, but not really sure.

Wish there's some way to remove 6 inches of soil to get to a new layer of goodies. Most of these are at the very edge of the detector's abilities. Many of these targets are just a small blip, and probably would never have a chance of being dug in a park area.

This is what a gold plated ring looks like

HH all!

Comments

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for another great post.
    I do believe the item you refer to is part of an old watch.....my mom had one that looked just like that.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Another huge haul, nice!
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Can I mail you my detector and just let you rub it for good luck?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops, sorry guitarwes! Never replied to you. Better late than never. Send your detector over and I'll give it a good luck rub. Maybe we could create some kind of old-fashioned tonic to sell to detectoists, "PCGS69's Miracle Silver Cream"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

Maybe we could create some kind of old-fashioned tonic to sell to detectoists, "PCGS69's Miracle Silver Cream"

I'll buy a case, please. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id like to know what happened to that 1935 quarter. that does not look good. nice haul to image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the tonic ......you did very well my friend!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434

id like to know what happened to that 1935 quarter. that does not look good. nice haul to image

There's a certain section of this beach area that turns silver brown. If you take a look at the group pic, two of the mercs are also brown. No idea what causes this, but it's interesting. At first glance I thought the quarter was 1985 due to the color.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that 'brown' effect on silver in some areas here... I think it is due to

acidity from plant decay....that is just an impression and I have not anything other than

observational clues to go on. That was a great haul...hope they are precious stones..

and a gold ring. You are on a roll lately.. Cheers, RickO
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Oh boy !! Now THAT's a hunt !!
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat finds.

Those Buffs really cleaned up nicely.

Mine never do.
    Frank

BHNC #203