Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

verdigris question

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
This Indian Head Cent displays a greenish cast on the lower half of the obverse. In your opinion
is this verdigris or just dirt with a greenish cast? If it is verdigris, how was it incapsulated? If it was
not on the coin before encapsulation, how did the contamination occur. The reverse does not have this
greenish cast. Not interested in the coin at all, merely had the above questions.
Thank you,
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised that this coin got into the holder. At any rate, if the green stuff is lose, it should have been removed before the coin was slabbed.

Sometimes this stuff comes off quite easily with a rose thorn or toothpick. If it's in the metal, that's a problem.

At any rate, I would avoid buying this coin given the situation.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was on the IHC when slabbed... Definitely CAC worthy IMHO image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is everyone's favorite example of verdigris. image >>

keyman64, That looks more like Ebola then Verdigris image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I agree with BillJones it should not have ever been in a holder.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is everyone's favorite example of verdigris. image >>

Looks like one of those "rock garden" things we used to start when we were kids.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like one of those "rock garden" things we used to start when we were kids. >>

Man, that brings me back over 50 years - charcoal, ammonia, bluing, and some other ingredients. Then a little patience.

I wonder if kids are even allowed to grow crystals these days.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file