Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your eyes. Do you do anything special to keep them going strong?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm 47 years young and I have noticed that my eye sight is changing. When I look at smaller objects such as coins and DDO's DDR's RPM's etc... I find that I have to take off my glasses, and use a stronger loop such as a 16x instead of a 7x's like I did.

What do you do to protect your eye sight as you age?

Do you take vitamins that have enhancements for eye sight?
Routine eye MD appts.?
Use eye drops to keep eyes moist and supple?

I'm very curious to hear what others have to say as we desperately need to keep our eyes going, or whats the use in collecting coins we can't even see to enjoy.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear contacts but recently bought a pair of glasses that I wear about half the time. It should keep my eyes from straining so much and allow them to breathe more. A multivitamin or Leutein wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lutein

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As humans age, the lens of the eye gets thicker and heavier, and the focusing muscles are no longer
    as effective. Near vision is adversely impacted. I recently got progressive lenses which really help a
    lot, but I still routinely take off my glasses when inspecting coins.

EDIT: I'm strongly nearsighted.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I condition my eyes by reading 5 Bazooka Joe comics a day image

Seriously once I notice any sort of visual impairment I'll stop buying as I will not place any faith into the opinions of others. I'll keep what I have up to that point and will go back to just enjoying this hobby through books & auction catalogs. I'll move onto bigger things such as mid to late 60's muscle cars which are easier on the eyes.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what you describe is a natural part of the human experience. unless your gene pool says otherwise you should expect some type of visual deterioration as you age.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    two doobies a day to stave off glaucoma
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    buying bigger coins helps as with variety's that you don't a telescope to confirm
    amateur night at my local club ease's my vision's woes too image
    i don't recommend if married though....unless you can get a hall pass image

but yeah
    it plays some with me too but i stay away from searching for micro varieties

do you collect roosevelt dimes?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having cataract surgery in about a month.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>two doobies a day to stave off glaucoma >>

POTD!

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    When I went in for an eye exam when I turned 40, I did so because I found I was having trouble focusing on things up close. The eye doctor said I have the most common 40 year old eye condition... the need for reading glasses. I'm older now and I have perfect vision for anything more than 3 feet from my face, but to look at coins or read, I need my reading glasses. It's just part of getting older.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    My ophthalmologist pokes a needle in my eye and injects steroids every month.

Oh wait, that's to prevent me from going blind from Macular Edema.
    Never mind.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to focus on moving objects as they are moving toward me and away from me. I spend a lot of time at the beach for this medicinal purpose.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lutein >>

And lots of Vitamin A, E, and K2 (found in organ meats, grass fed eggs, and most fermented foods).

I personally stay away from all of the junk in the food / GMO these days.

I was lucky to have been born with unusually good eyesight that I have kept for almost 38 years.

Most everything regarding aging (including eyesight) comes down to how you take care of yourself (what you put in your mouth and the quality of the food).
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 49 and I've noticed the same problem. Whenever I read I put my glasses on top of my head so I can see up close. I feel as healthy today as I did when I was 19, but my vision is no where near what it once was.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I had a good vision test 2 weeks when I had a chance to shoot metal plates with a iron sighted Shiloh Sharps at 600 yards... More fun then a dozen coin shows! image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astigmatism. (ə-stĭg'mə-tĭz'əm) A visual defect in which the unequal curvature of one or more refractive surfaces of the eye, usually the cornea, prevents light rays from focusing clearly at a single point on the retina, resulting in blurred vision.
    This defect is a very common symptom of aging in a very high percentage of humans.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>buying bigger coins helps as with variety's that you don't a telescope to confirm
    amateur night at my local club ease's my vision's woes too image
    i don't recommend if married though....unless you can get a hall pass image

but yeah
    it plays some with me too but i stay away from searching for micro varieties

do you collect roosevelt dimes? >>

I've been collecting Roosevelt Dimes for a long while. Trying to chase down the CPG varieties, but my eyes make it a challenge. I can still see tiny objects, but it's getting more difficult. I thought I would ask what others do.

I might try the 2 doobies a day advice. image It seems like the most fun. image

That, and I will eat more carrots I guess!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It hits most people like a ton of bricks at age 40. Man does it frustrate me! Wearing out the glasses on off thing here! Learning not to trust my eyes after I see pic's of coins I am listing forsale with using my unaided eyes image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the vision "knocked out" of me when I was eight years old...and my front (permanent) teeth. I got between this big lady and the concession stand at the skating rink at closing time...she ran my young behind over and I kissed the floor. What makes matters worse, it was supposed to be a "church" event. Needless to say that I stayed away from churches for a while...and I am not talking about chicken either! image

Thank goodness for TrueView imaging, which I request with each coin that I submit to PCGS. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect 5 oz. silver ATB quarters. What's the problem? image
    Seriously, I am 72 and have slight macular degeneration in one eye. I take lutein and zeaxanthin, wear blue-blocker glasses and take fish oil every day, and the condition has remained stable for the past seven years. Being nearsighted I can remove my glasses and focus on coins about a foot away reasonably clearly.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    View full size TrueViews image

I'm guessing that collecting large coins and viewing large photos helps.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Don't do varieties.
    2) Do not collect anything smaller than a dime.
    3) Try not to look at more than five SLQs designated FH at one sitting (most are borderline and a number of them that I have seen in my book are not FH)
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally , after being out of the service for 27 years, I went to the V.A. for a check up. A man about 6'5 checked my eyes. First , he said I may have glaucoma. They scheduled another test. I got there and here is this beautiful woman. She reads over my charts and says: "The last time I saw you , I determined you may have the onset of glaucoma. So we are going to do further tests." After the tests were completed she said, "No, you do not have the early signs or stages of glaucoma, but you should be using +3.25 readers, not +2.50.

I told her I used '' a 5 x loupe to look at coins', but oddly, she was " much taller and had manly looks" , on my first visit. She blushed and said, "Oh my I have never seen you before".
    Then, I asked : "Are you people checking my vision or my mentality ? "

She was so good looking, I dropped my glasses on the floor, to see her better.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally , after being out of the service for 27 years, I went to the V.A. for a check up. A man about 6'5 checked my eyes. First , he said I may have glaucoma. They scheduled another test. I got there and here is this beautiful woman. She reads over my charts and says: "The last time I saw you , I determined you may have the onset of glaucoma. So we are going to do further tests." After the tests were completed she said, "No, you do not have the early signs or stages of glaucoma, but you should be using +3.25 readers, not +2.50.

I told her I used '' a 5 x loupe to look at coins', but oddly, she was " much taller and had manly looks" , on my first visit. She blushed and said, "Oh my I have never seen you before".

She was so good looking, I dropped my glasses on the floor, to see her better. >>

ah haht
    this must of been why you was panty bunched the other dayimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>Finally , after being out of the service for 27 years, I went to the V.A. for a check up. A man about 6'5 checked my eyes. First , he said I may have glaucoma. They scheduled another test. I got there and here is this beautiful woman. She reads over my charts and says: "The last time I saw you , I determined you may have the onset of glaucoma. So we are going to do further tests." After the tests were completed she said, "No, you do not have the early signs or stages of glaucoma, but you should be using +3.25 readers, not +2.50.

She was so good looking, I dropped my glasses on the floor, to see her better. >>

TwoSides2aCoin, Are you sure you made it to the VA or get lost and end up at Bruce Jenner's house? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file