Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this Large Cent really all that bad?

I've recently started to nose into early copper, and am wondering what the more seasoned copper lovers think about this coin? Do the scratches on the face bother you that much? How are the rest of the surfaces? Does it grade a 30 or so?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I REALLY like to avoid GENUINE coins, but on a coin like this I would be somewhat forgiving on scratches.

It does have nice details, but if you are considering buying it, I'd suggest look for comparable problem free grades and compare the prices.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I REALLY like to avoid GENUINE coins, but on a coin like this I would be somewhat forgiving on scratches.

It does have nice details, but if you are considering buying it, I'd suggest look for comparable problem free grades and compare the prices. >>

I did buy it, actually. The surface color and smoothness is what drew me in. Wouldn't a coin without scratches run about $700+ in this grade?
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those scratches were not on the face, I do think it would have graded as its been my experience with low grade old copper that PCGS is more than generous.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brace yourself, coin22lover. Old copper is very tricky.

I don't think that scratch is too bad and I'll bet you can find other problem-free ones with worse. Perhaps PCGS measured other factors as well and, on the whole, felt it didn't deserve a straight grade.

VF30? No. I'd call it a 20, best.
    Lance.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i looked twice at that coin when it was listed
    it sure does have alot of meat on it for a 1798

my stop point wasn't the scratches...it has to do with the date
    i could barely make out the date
    which to me is a major part of early examples beauty...those precious 4 numbers
    some of these early copper's have so much corrosion and porosity
    your example doesn't have a "copper termite buffet was had here" look to it

it would take some deep pockets to carry certain standards into the us mint's "birth year era"

it's your coin and others shouldn't sway you one way or another
    i wouldn't call my coin..."not really all that bad"
    more so "here's a coin i bought because i just like it"

it's a sweet survivor of a 1798 coin in an overall kinda way
    enjoy and thanks for sharing it

i chuckle with the "J.WILLIS" as to had it only been a "D.WILLIS"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be even more appealing if not in plastic. It's easier to appreciate a Large Cent that way. The scratches aren't as much of a factor if it looks consistent with your other coins. The color may be the issue, but from a single photo it is hard to gauge.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those early large cents that might be happier if it were raw. I think that the scratches are a little too numerous to give it a straight grade. It also appears from the picture that the date is weak, perhaps from damage. If that's so that might have pushed it over the edge as well. And ... it's probably been re-colored, BUT that is quite normal for early copper. It seems like the obverse has that look, but I'm making an educated guess on that point.

While EAC grading is tougher that slab grading in most cases, the exception is with problem coins. Early copper collectors like nice coins, but they recognize that copper is the most reactive of the three classic coinage medals, gold, silver and copper. As such it was far more prone to acquiring damage from the elements. Therefore early copper collectors are more forgiving about the usual problems that one encounters with early copper.

Buying these coins in high end "straight grades" is an expensive undertaking. Believe I know from experience. Therefore a piece like this with some issues often are the only option for collectors who don't have thousands to spend on coins from this era.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can tell, it's not a bad coin, but not really that nice, either.

It's a common variety of a common date, so there's not much need to compromise, as you will have to
    with the tougher dates and varieties. (If it was a 1796 draped bust, for example). And unless you have very deep
    pockets, compromise is a major part of the game with large cents.

From my 25 years or so of dabbling in large cents, I've learned that lower grade, problem free examples are generally
    preferred over meatier coins that have problems. But to each his own, and I have 'genny' coins in my own collection,
    (wreath cent, 1804, 1823 N-2 etc) purchased after very careful consideration and studying numerous examples, comparing
    prices, etc., and generally choosing examples that most folks would consider to be 'problem free' for the date and coin.

Best of luck with your endeavor!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a common variety of a common date, >>

The way things are these days, it's hard to describe any U.S. coin dated prior to 1800 as "common." image

I had a nice VF grade 1798 large cent years ago that I sold to another dealer for $600 who had a want list to fill. In a sense I regret selling the coin because it would cost me a lot more now to replace it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file