Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on the Classic Silver Commemorative Series and Recent Values

msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
At some point, I've always thought I'd like to put together the 50 piece type set for the silver commemoratives from 1892 to 1954. I haven't studied the series that much and simply have too many other things on the current want list to start it, but I've noticed several threads and seen several auction results or coins on dealer's sites that all talk about the plunge in prices in this series. Just had me wondering what it is that might be behind this recent dip (as it seems more than a regular overall general drop). The series seems to have a lot going for it....the coins are big (most people prefer coins the size of half dollars over half dimes), it's completable and a good size (50 is a good number and there really don't seem to be any absolute "stoppers"), it's got lots of varied designs, and can be done in mint state for a relatively modest budget...as another plus, a lot of the coins are available with very attractive toning. Again, I haven't done my "homework" on the series and am not currently planning on starting it, but it sure does seem like it'd be a good time to be a buyer. What are your thoughts on the series in general and on the recent prices pieces have been bringing?

Comments

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have been on a steady decline for over 25 years, I believe the peak was some point in 1989. Most are down ~ 85%-90% since then, the few with the highest values have declined somewhat less.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    There is no interest in them and I think they still have some more room to fall in value.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The supply is too high relative to demand. Basically too many survivors given the the number of collectors there are for these.

That means you can build a nice set but don't expect prices to go up, except for possibly condition rarities.
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The supply is too high relative to demand. Basically too many survivors given the the number of collectors there are for these. >>

This is the general truth, you can build a complete set (several times!) at any major show if you are looking for dipped or neutrally toned coins.

Despite this, there is still high demand for original and eye appealing toned coins. For example, here are two Maines from my personal collection that I believe would sell fast and easily at high prices if offered, though I guess ownership adds a little value.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins have been heavily promoted on at least two occasions since 1980. The promoters talked about low montages relative to the regular issue coins, but they didn't say anything about far higher survival rates. The prices were pushed up by promotion only to fall again with huge losses for their owners.

The investment game is currently over for these coins. The only buyers are an ever decreasing numbers of collectors who want "color coins." The "wonder toned" market is strong for some, but the prices are often very high and speculative. If you want to check into the foolish historical promotions than once surrounded these pieces, check out the "investment projection" section in the back of the Breen - Swieteck (sp) book on these coins from years ago. Even the bad investment coins were supposed to yield a great return.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Which company produced the slabs with prices in the inserts? Those are always fun to see from the the 80s.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When all coins first started getting slabbed in 1986-1987 all slabbed coins were pretty scarce, even "common" commems in gem. Take a look at the May 1989 CDN or Blue Sheet to see how far they've fallen, even with a 1 pt change due to gradeflation. MS65 Columbians were over $4,000 at that time. 10% of that today give or take. The promotions of 1989-1990 took commems to astounding heights because pops were very small vs. surviving speciments. Total classic commem PCGS MS65 pop by June 1st, 1989 was approx 30,000 pieces. Today it's 123,000. The pops were too big to sustain the market in 1989...and now 4X larger (2X if one assumes 1 resubmission per coin).

MS silver commem PCGS pops June 1989 vs August 2015. Note the biggest increases in the higher grades with MS66 at 10X, MS67 and MS68 at 20X. The

MS63 20K/52K
    MS64 41K/127K
    MS65 30K/123K
    MS66 6K/61K
    MS67 0.7K/14K
    MS68 0.037K/0.750K

This is one of the worst looking coin charts of all time. A 5 wave rally from 1970-1990 was followed by a 5 wave decline from 1990-1998. After a small bounce from 1998-2006 it's now back to retesting the 1998 lows. Interesting that several important pieces of the choice/gem rare coin market peaked back in 2006 (commems, gold type coins, etc.). It's been 9 years down.

PCGS commem price index
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been seeing more and more of them for sale, which is lousy for me because I'm selling all of mine off now too, so the market appears somewhat flooded at the moment. As a result, I expect to probably lose quite a bit on the sale. On the other hand, it may be a good time to start collecting them since prices are down even since I started collecting them several years ago.

JH
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've considered doing the series, but half of the designs & stories are cool and the other half are boring and contrived. I have a few, and I'll likely get a few more, but I doubt I'll ever complete the whole series. Some of the coins are among the best designs we've ever produced. Anyone who loves beautiful coins should get an Oregon, a Pilgrim, a Columbian, a Texan, and a PanPac.

Something unusual would have to happen for them to really ever pick up against general popularity.
  • Options

<< <i>I've considered doing the series, but half of the designs & stories are cool and the other half are boring and contrived. I have a few, and I'll likely get a few more, but I doubt I'll ever complete the whole series. Some of the coins are among the best designs we've ever produced. Anyone who loves beautiful coins should get an Oregon, a Pilgrim, a Columbian, a Texan, and a PanPac.

Something unusual would have to happen for them to really ever pick up against general popularity. >>

Another source of interest are all the scandals and backdoor deals that went on when these coins were first distributed. We see the same thing today with flippers who buy out the entire mintage of coins over the Internet in 15 minutes. The main difference one group controlled ALL of the coins and played games with them to get the highest prices.

See what happened with the Cincinnati, Hudson and extended later date issues of the Boone, Oregon and other commemorative issues that were continued for far too many years.

My attitude is that the 50 piece type set is pretty cool. I'm not interested in the 144 piece complete set at all.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Wow. Nice looking commemorative set Eagleguy!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    It seems when thinking of the modern commems, that history does indeed repeat itself. You CAN see the future, by looking at the past!
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a youngster in the mid-60's I used to collect Lincoln Cents, Jefferson and Buffalo Nickels, and some Roosevelt dimes. I was a kid with little money and couldn't use it for coins so anything I found was taken from circulation. I use to look at the prices in the Redbook and noticed the neat, odd-looking silver, as well as expensive coins at the back of the book. I never dreamed of ever owning any of those strange coins back then. When all the silver coins were withdrawn from circulation my collecting days drew to a close. I had better things to do like high school and later pharmacy school. Once out of college I had time and money to try to build a set of those neat coins. Starting in 1995 I acquired one by one each of the 50 classic silver commemoratives. I was thrilled every time I added a new coin and strived to learn everything about it. Back in 1996 the coins seemed expensive to me but in reality they were a bargain off their 1989 highs. By 1997 I had finished the 50-piece type set just in time to submit it to a new idea from PCGS, the PCGS Set Registry. Back in its infancy in 1997, PCGS went out of their way to get people to join. When I submitted my set, they gave me free grading, free crossover for the 15 or so NGC coins in my set, a pedigree "The Overland Trail Collection", and publication in their new book. It was a fantastic deal for me and I gladly accepted. In that first edition in 1997 there were few participants in the Silver Commemoratives. Looking at the 1999 issued the "Overland Trail Collection" was still ranked a lofty #2 current finest. The all-time finest back the was the Larry Shepherd Collection grade of MS 66.88 compared to my modest MS 64.24. In the 2001 publication I was still ranked #2 but my grade had moved up to MS 64.56. After that year the registry when viral due to computerization. Now, the 'Overland Trail Collection" is ranked in the mid to upper 20's but due to improvements and updates is rated 65.15 or so. I maybe should of sold the collection back in 2005 or 2006 when the prices topped but I didn't build the collection to sell for investment but as the fulfillment of a childhood dream.

The coins have now dropped to about the price of what I paid for them. It is a good time for starting a collection that has it all, history, cool designs, famous artists, and much information about each coin. Coins aren't made like this anymore.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Back in the late 1999s when Ebay was in its infancy, I went crazy buying a little of everything, mostly low grade coins as whole fillers. But in my buying a little of everything, I purchased about a dozen of the commemoratives. At the time, I thought it would be cool to collect these. The ones I bought aren't superior quality as most have a little wear. I sent 5 to PCGS early this year and they came back XF40, AU50, AU50, MS62 and Cleaned with Unc details. The others I have are either obvious cleaned coins and/or the common Booker T Washington and Carver/Washington.

In the years since, I've not purchased any more and my interest for them has waned somewhat. I'm not a high $ collector and am thinking of selling them all to clear up some cash for a key-date Morgan.

I do still think the commemoratives are interesting and have some of the most beautiful designs in U.S. coin history. But I fail to see why anyone is attracted to buying the modern commemorative which the Mint seems to flood the market. With the modern commemoratives, I expect in a few decades they'll be similar to the baseball card phenomena of the 1980s when baseball cards were hot, but everyone saved them in pristine condition such that now there's little rarity. The modern commemoratives are mass produced and virtually all will be kept pristine. Whereas the classic commemoratives got handled and worn and are more interesting because they exist in circulated and uncirculated condition. Not every one looks the same.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go the great color/high grade route be prepared to be shocked by the prices. This an area I collect in. I haven't bought a commen in almost two years as I just can't find what I'm after.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as an alternative to the 50 piece set ( so many designs that are boring) you could do just the early dates. These are always in demand and are generally tougher coins. Maybe collect up to 1926 and the you can include the Oregon. From there you can sprinkle in a few latter coins of your choice

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the 50 piece set and am still planning to do a few upgrades. You can choose the high dollar "color" coins or not (I have a few) but be very focused on quality. There are a lot of off-quality commems in all kinds of holders, I'm guessing from one or more of the old promotions. I generally find a lot of non-PCGS coins that are overgraded one full point compared to our hosts...that's OK if they are priced that way, but generally they aren't. PCGS is definitely not perfect, but the others are worse. IMHO.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a few of these. The whole series to complete would be a fun challenge. Finding evenly matched toners would be almost impossible unless one person kept them all in the same album or stored the same way. That would be a sight for sore eyes.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some great color bargains in MS63-64 as typical collector mentality in this series is that they must have a Gem status MS65 on the slab label. Last year I found a gorgeous toned Lexington in MS63 which was quite affordable and far more attractive the some 64-66 examples I've handled. If your not registry minded needing points a original skinned Lexington in MS63 is a far better purchase to represent the type then the dipped examples which are now making it into MS67 holders. So if you focus on the coin itself and not the grade label there are some bang for the buck opportunities in this series. This series should be collected for it's beauty and history and if your buying the right examples each should still retain at least the purchase price even if values drop a bit further.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins are a great bargain at current prices, and you can also afford to be picky and only buy coins with "original" surfaces or nice toning if that is your thing.
    The MS67-68+' s that are now being made every day are NOT a good buy as the huge premiums attached to these can disappear as more and more are re-graded to current standards.
    The monster color coins have a life of their own but are very thinly traded, so you really have to be brave to venture into those right now.

Here's a coin thats original, but carries no large premium for toning:
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some great color bargains in MS63-64 as typical collector mentality in this series is that they must have a Gem status MS65 on the slab label. Last year I found a gorgeous toned Lexington in MS63 which was quite affordable and far more attractive the some 64-66 examples I've handled. If your not registry minded needing points a original skinned Lexington in MS63 is a far better purchase to represent the type then the dipped examples which are now making it into MS67 holders. So if you focus on the coin itself and not the grade label there are some bang for the buck opportunities in this series. This series should be collected for it's beauty and history and if your buying the right examples each should still retain at least the purchase price even if values drop a bit further. >>

Agreed! I couldn't afford most of them at the higher grades, and I refused to pay a lot for the uglier issues, so I focused on collecting eye-appealing examples at grades I could afford. For example, the following three coins are graded AU58, MS63, MS64 respectively and I got them for way less than the gem examples would be.

As Broadstruck stated, there are bargains out there.

JH
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have long thought that a set of beautifully toned commems would make a fantastic collecting endeavor. However, I am focused on other collecting pursuits at this time, and I've also been seeing the money that nice toners have been fetching - it's mindboggling!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the worst coin investments of the last 20-25 years. Except for color coins the series is dead and will probably go lower.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the worst coin investments of the last 20-25 years. Except for color coins the series is dead and will probably go lower. >>

Unfortunately, this is probably the case. They are a series that never seems to be able to sustain a rally.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    This Antietam is original, but it's not the kind of toning that the "crazy for toning" people want.

I'm buried into this one. I bought it when the price went from $1,600 in the late 1980s to $700 or $800 five or six years later. It's in an NGC MS-65 "fatty holder," but it's nicer than some pieces I've seen graded a point higher. It is virtually mark-free.

imageimage
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commemdude showed a perfect example of a properly graded NGC coin...this shows that they CAN grade them properly...
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I just sold a MS65 CAC for 50% of the price guide.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no interest in them and I think they still have some more room to fall in value.

There is some interest! Not a lot but some. I do agree with the more room to fall in value.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If classic US commemoratives are weak should not modern commend be even weaker?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>If classic US commemoratives are weak should not modern commend be even weaker? >>

For the most part, other than UHR, ASB, and some others, aren't they?
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very good answers by most.

I know of no other series that has such a unique group of coins designed by our most talented designers, for the most part.

Each coin has it's own story to tell. I usually purchase coins one or two grades under the huge mark up points.

• Options

<< <i>If classic US commemoratives are weak should not modern commend be even weaker? >>

They are. A fair number of the $5 gold commemorative pieces have been sold for scrap.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is why the "flipper madness" is so absolutely crazy to me - the end buyer is most likely IMO to be seriously screwed. Who really cares if the latest First Spouse/Hag has a low mintage? I do not know of a single actual collector of this series, let alone the Ike and Truman Collector sets or whatever people call them.

I will note that I did get one of the Daniel Carr "restrikes" of the Oregon Trail in what is essentially matte proof and absolutely love it - even though these are not my series (classic commems).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭
    Finally signed up for the forum because of this subject...

I've been buying some of these for a couple years now, as I think they are a good speculation. David Hall is recommending them for what that is worth. I figure what's been promoted before, will be promoted again.

Right now the only market for these appears to be super toned coins in 67-68...check Legend's site for some examples. I'm buying similar coins, but in 65-66, which can be had for about one-tenth the price. Given these depressed prices, I am not bothering with anything less than PQ 65s.

I'm glad to finally be on the forum, and look forward to your comments.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally signed up for the forum because of this subject...

I've been buying some of these for a couple years now, as I think they are a good speculation. David Hall is recommending them for what that is worth. I figure what's been promoted before, will be promoted again.

Right now the only market for these appears to be super toned coins in 67-68...check Legend's site for some examples. I'm buying similar coins, but in 65-66, which can be had for about one-tenth the price. Given these depressed prices, I am not bothering with anything less than PQ 65s.

I'm glad to finally be on the forum, and look forward to your comments. >>

Welcome to the forums.

Glad to see a first poster speaking of the early commemorative series.

Coin is raw with an approximate grade of MS62, sellers image.

• Options
    Just in case you missed it, check out this thread on the J&L rainbow Oregon. Not available and perhaps not what you're thinking of but it's a strong indicator that there is demand for toned condition rarities.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While obviously nobody wants to lose their money, with prices as low as they are in ms65-ms67 one can put together a very impressive set for very little money (relatively).

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished my 50 coin set this year. There are a few coins I'll probably upgrade, but some of these may be "lateral" upgrades -- a nicer coin in the same grade. Maybe I'll do the Oregon or Texas sets sometime. Definitely cherrypick for grade in this series, as quality coins exist at all levels.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally signed up for the forum because of this subject...

I'm glad to finally be on the forum, and look forward to your comments. >>

Welcome!
    Classic commems with nice color (and luster) in all grades have done quite well.
    IMO you should avoid the white ones except perhaps for the 'original' white examples of the true keys.
    I've gone in and out of buying the commems but still can always find pretty toners that tempt me...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file