Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Completing my Walker Set -- a Long Journey

breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
This past week after many years of fruitless searching, I acquired a 1920-D to complete my Walking Liberty Set. A decade of finding coins although I started collecting Walkers when I was in my teens back in the eighties. The last coin was a very difficult one to find but George from Legend came through --thanks George and everyone at Legend. A lot of dealers have helped me with this set - certainly Bill (NjCoinCrank) and Kathleen at Pinnacle and many others. I will probably do some upgrading but now I can fully turn my focus to other sets. I certainly enjoy sharing my Walkers (they are a very photogenic series as a whole) -- you can see the full set in my signature line and I have posted ones here and there over the years, but here are some of my favorites with Todd's photos:

I have a view as to my favorite but tastes differ of course. Like a proud parent sharing photos of their children -- thanks for indulging me.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    congrats on completing your set
    especially in such lofty graded fashion

all stunning examples posted here

that 1921 in ms65+
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations BD. When I saw that 20-d listed I thought of you and your set. Post a pic when you can.

You have great taste in coins and dealers.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean "indulge you"? Fantastic group of coins. Purely a pleasure
    viewing them. I would love to view them in a virtual album. Do you have them
    all photo'd by Todd?
    Congrats on completing such an endeavor.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a monumental achievement. I especially love that 19-d in 64 CAC.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Extremely nice, but I really like that 33-S image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge Congrats! That is not easy what you did. Well done!

Interesting on the 1919-S....I had an uncle by that exact name. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, and thanks for posting some fantastic coins!

I too still need a 20D (and a 20S) to complete my walker set, and I'm just seeking AU's.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, that is quite an achievement!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoa, feel free to post the rest whenever! Wow! >>

Click the link in his sig line. Most of the registry set has photos.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed you ARE a proud parent!! But unlike endless pics of children these are a treat for us to look at over and over again.

By the way. looking at them in person is even better than looking at the pics!!

Smart me!!! Only doing the Philly Mint walker setin MS-66!! LOL!!!!

But I see the D and S Mint coins creeping in!! image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major congrats. Your set is truly magnificent and hardly an easy feat.........I've used your set for many of reference points

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That is quite an achievement.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great accomplishment! Much congrats imageimage
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the next sets you are looking at? That set of walkers is AMAZING!!! 😍
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Gorgeous ones you have posted as well...

ABimage
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 21 is stunning.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set! It's hard to be imagine anyone doing it better.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Beautiful coins, thanks for not dipping them!

Doug
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image..................fantastic coins !!!!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! image
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really wonderful! Congrats on your achievement BD. image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific set! Very impressive. And a wonderful series.

Congrats!

How about a digital album?
    Lance.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just outstanding!
    My Walkers (34-47) are pale in comparison.image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Some beautiful coins posted. Congrats on the set.

Mike
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to you, Breakdown.

HUGE accomplishment!

You have some wonderful examples and many of them have rich, original color.

I have always admired your set and it was one that inspired me to start a set of my own.

It must be great feeling. Way to go!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG!!! What a beautiful set of Walkers! What a wonderful accomplishment!

Congrats! Love all the beautiful undipped original and colorful coins!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Wonderful coins!
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really a stunning set of Walkers!
    One of the most beautiful series in US coinage IMO.
    Top notch additions with nice skin and patina.
    A warm congratulations on this accomplishment!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very pretty series and strong coins in it.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Hello Folks--- Yes indeed, it does take years and years. I'm sort of partial to the 27S coin---quite the piece.

Doesn't surprise me one little bit that the 20D coin was your last purchase. Been saying for years and years that it is the true "sleeper" coin. It deserves to be mentioned along with the 23S, the 19D and the 21D coins. All are real hard in any grade XF or above.

Now you can sit back and relax and just upgrade one coin at a time. Walkers are a wonderful design and can be appreciated in many grade ranges. When you look at them, you see America as a great nation---standing tall and proud.

Wishing you all the best in your collecting efforts. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I extend congratulations to you on your major achievement.

Your set is at the highest echelon of an exceptionally tough and very popular series for us collectors.

The sale of the Cajun set changed the landscape of the WLH basic set.

The Gerald Forsythe set will be the undisputed top set by virtue of its including the 16-S, 18-S, 19-D, 21-S, 23-S, 29-D, 29-S, 35, and 41-D – most of which are from the Hall of Fame GBW set. The Forsythe set remains active as evidenced by addition of + coins for some of the late date issues.

The Ron Bauer set acquired the Cajun set’s 17-D rev, 19, 19-S, 20-S, 27-S, 34-S, and 41-S – thereby making a major move in the registry hierarchy.

Your set has dozens of fabulous examples highlighted by the 17, the GBW 19-S, 21, and that awesome 27-S. In the late date portion of your set, I especially like the 34, and your 46-S is very nice in that it does not excessively show the die polish lines in the right field that seem to be a property of this date/issue in 67.

In the WLH date set, you are in the #1 spot by almost a full point – which is a noteworthy lead in that a full registry point represents a substantial difference in registry listings for the very competitive WLH sets.

It is wonderful that you got that devilish 20-D to complete your excellent set.

The beauty of your set gives a textbook example of how patience is such an important part of assembling a memorable set of coins.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive accomplishment! I am not a Walker collector, however...I would be interested in any learnings or take-aways you have from your years of pursuit.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow. those are nice. i especially like the look of the 33. congrats.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set, I just spent a while clicking on them!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS on completing the set!!!

Lovely looking coins that you've posted!!!
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, a job very well done!

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breakdown...go ahead and give it to me...it's alright, it's alright! image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding Walker's. Worthy of being housed in a coin museum for sure !!
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words. My two favorites are the 1917 and the 1919-S Ex. GBW. GBW had some collection -- you can see photos of it on Pinnacle's website.

There are some great Walker collectors on this site that I enjoy both by threads and by PM -- for example, JBN, Walkerfan, Oreville and MJ (JustaCommeman) -- glad to see he made it back from Greece! Oreville has seen a few of these in person -- anyone that has been to Parsippany knows Oreville. All of it has made collecting Walkers a lot more fun.

A tip or two or at least things I care about with Walkers: I always check Liberty's head closely, including with a loupe. This seems pretty basic but there are a lot of 65s and even a few 66s with a significant bagmark on the head or neck. If it looks like a brick was dropped on Liberty's cheek or her neck, I generally keep looking no matter how nice the luster or toning.

The number of appearances in auction records may be as important as population numbers in high grade. As an example, before the Cajun collection, in 15 years there had been one auction appearance of a 1919-S in PCGS MS66. The population for that coin is 11 at PCGS but I suspect the real number is closer to 5 or 6. The 20-S by contrast has a pop of 6 in MS66 but has appeared five times in auction in 15 years. JBN and I could PM about this stuff all day, but I won't bore everyone with it.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I wasn't expecting those when I opened this thread. Truly great coins. Congrats on the completion!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file