Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are u going to do with your unopened in the end?

craig44 started a great thread about unopened and i didn't want to hijack his thread (def worth reading)......But i do have a different question..

I still have some unopened including some that are expensive high end (this is relevant to the conversation, which is the only reason i mention it) and hopefully will be even more by time i leave this planet. Sold most of mine though.

Sooooo...what are you guys going to do with your unopened? me and everyone here collect unopened because of what may be inside!!!!! No question. But it is now cost prohibitive to rip most of the boxes now. But who doesn't want to rip a pack and see a gem mint mantle of any year, ryan rookie, brett rookie, a clean 76 brett or a near perfect ozzie (finally?). Or any Dodgers or something that helps fill our collection. Thats why we ripped since we were kids. Thats why everyone here loves when someone posts a single pack rip.

Soooo (again)....hypothetically, on your death bed or your given two months to live. (God forbid).....Do you just put them all in an AH auction, ebay and transfer the cash to your family. Never knowing what u spent all that time, energy and money on. OOOORRRRRR, dare i say it, sit down with that pristine bbce 72 series 3 wax box, a glass of scotch and rip away??? whats a couple hundred a pack when ur gone, or ur family's gonna immediately sell them, not knowing the full value. Pile up a few boxes and spend the afternoon traveling back to your childhood? Now that sounds like a bucket list. Just imagine whats in those packs a few feet away from us right now. I don't know how Tim, Mike et al do it. And this is asked, given that your family is already well taken care of at that time where the cash would help some but not life changing.

Me myself, if i knew i had 2 months left....i tell ya, ill be ripping some of those unrippable. Thats nostalgic.
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I'm with ya buddy!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I would probably rip a few of the things I have, but others I would leave intact. For example,
    ripping a 1972 5th/6th series wax box i would not hesitate in the scenario you laid out but
    a 1970 cello box (which is part of my "1970 registry set plus extras") I would rather keep the
    whole 1970 unit together as a single group because it would be almost impossible to create
    such an assemblage again.

I also have a few 1-of-a-kind pieces (e.g. the only known surviving rack pack from a year) which
    I would probably not rip.

Dave
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    then again id have to set some aside to sell to jeff,,,,of course....image ...and if I'm dying then you're gonna get a steal on the price... I promise.

70toppsfanatic...i get what you're saying..that registry sounds awesome...let me ask....will your family appreciate it or just sell it? i guess you could sell it to a board member who is a friend to keep it intact. i see what your saying and agree with that scenario.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would probably rip a few of the things I have, but others I would leave intact. For example,
    ripping a 1972 5th/6th series wax box i would not hesitate in the scenario you laid out but
    a 1970 cello box (which is part of my "1970 registry set plus extras") I would rather keep the
    whole 1970 unit together as a single group because it would be almost impossible to create
    such an assemblage again.

I also have a few 1-of-a-kind pieces (e.g. the only known surviving rack pack from a year) which
    I would probably not rip. >>

Great thread guys and really enjoy reading it. As time goes by the unopened stuff becomes very cost prohibitive, and the only 70's stuff we are seeing now is 1975 minis, 1978 wax, 1979 wax and rack.... BBCE at the National was getting low on a lot of things as well.

Dave What would be really be neat is to post some pictures of the best wax boxes, racks, and other near unopened stuff you have since some people have possibly never seen say a 1971 wax box or 1973 box. Thank you again for sharing.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't necessarily open them even on the deathbed.

I wouldn't feel bad going to my grave not knowing what was in them. Not knowing what is in the packs is part of the enjoyment of owning them.
  • Options
    Hopefully my sons our grandsons can enjoy either the money from an auction or the item itself.
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    I definitely would rip away.

I've never had the opportunity to rip a vintage wax pack however so given the opportunity HELL YA!

My top 5 (reasonable) packs I would like to rip someday.

1971 Football
    1972 Football
    1972 Basketball
    1971 Basketball
    1970 Football

dream packs that I will only get to see on a youtube video..

1958 Topps Football
    1961 Fleer Basketball
    1965 Topps Football
    1952 Bowman Football
    1957 Topps Football
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hardcore, died-in-the-wool unopened guys will never open anything~even if you told them a key rookie was in the pack, they'd prefer to keep it sealed (see cpamike).

Guys like me will rip their share of packs every now and then, but there are many packs that I will never open, either~special items like a 79 super cello box or a 72 rack.

Then there are the true rippers who will rip anything they can, LOL..

In the end, though, it's all stuff~if the need for money is there, it's nice to know you have some assets than you can sell while enjoying them in the meantime.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I actually don't buy unopened for what might be inside, crazy as that may sound. I buy it mostly for the related memories. While I could see maybe one day opening some of the less rare stuff from the 1970s, I'd probably prefer it to go on to another fan of unopened. I've never even opened a single pack from my collection and really don't have the urge.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    I'd rip one of my 85 D wax boxes and let the family sell off the rest. I collect unopened and set them out to remind me of the fond times opening packs in card shops with my dad. He's gone now and I won a bet against him for an 85 D box so that's why I'd rip that. The realist side of me understands that it doesn't make sense to bust an older box because I can buy the dang set cheaper for sure but opening a cello box and looking and reflecting upon those childhood memories is priceless. I have no real desire to pull an 84 D Mattingly rookie from a pack today but I sure like looking at my unopened box and remembering those days when I walked in the card shop to see those walls of unopened boxes.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

<< <i>I actually don't buy unopened for what might be inside, crazy as that may sound. I buy it mostly for the related memories. While I could see maybe one day opening some of the less rare stuff from the 1970s, I'd probably prefer it to go on to another fan of unopened. I've never even opened a single pack from my collection and really don't have the urge. >>

I agree with this, and this sentiment is common among unopened collectors~the appeal is the pack in its unopened state. The potential gems inside are a distant second to the appeal of the packaging. Once the pack is opened, that mystique is gone.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I've told my fiance that if she is in this position to throw them in the garbage. My 1989 boxes and raw singles are "my thing" not her's to deal with.

If I had the choice to rip open my stash of unopened 89s, I wouldn't because I'd rather spend that time with my family.

As far as my book collection -- very few actually worth anything as they are books used during college, gifts and ones that are sentimental. She will do whatever with those.

Book and paper ephemera inventory -- each book has a slip inside stating what I paid. I have two close friends who are book dealers and they will take over, split it up and try to recoup those costs so that she does not have to deal with selling, liquidating, getting taken advantage of.

I imagine those who have expensive collections have talked this over with their loved ones and made arrangements already. I understand this thread is about ripping packs or selling for funds, but if anyone hasn't made these plans yet they really should consider getting on it. The last thing I'd imagine any of us would want is for some lowlife to swoop in and pickup the collection for pennies on the dollar.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I will open my 1980 Topps baseball wax box...I prefer 1980 over anything post 1976. 1980 was my biggest collecting year and just the memories alone are worth opening that box. I will also open 1 football box of each from 1983-1986. Really just because they're all gem mint boxes and feel my best chance for any hof 10s. If I sold any of those boxes, I miss out on the fun and don't think I get the full value since they're so nice. I will do these within the next year as this world is just too crazy to not enjoy when you have the chance. Memories for my son to always have is worth more to me than anything monetary. In fact, when he sees me get excited when he rips a pack and gets a stud, it gets him every time..it's hilarious.

I sold off my early to mid 70s football because the price point was there and mantles were lurking...I could never justify opening those for what the price was sealed.

Since my son got me into soccer and soccer cards, I'm holding onto 2014 panini World Cup...those in my opinion will be worth a great deal in the future..but that's for another thread.

If I had Tims unopened collection or some of the other guys that have the most beautiful stellar packs and boxes from baseball in the 70s, I would display for awhile until it made sense to sell high. Some of those racks are just a thing of beauty.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I actually don't buy unopened for what might be inside, crazy as that may sound. I buy it mostly for the related memories. While I could see maybe one day opening some of the less rare stuff from the 1970s, I'd probably prefer it to go on to another fan of unopened. I've never even opened a single pack from my collection and really don't have the urge. >>

I agree with this, and this sentiment is common among unopened collectors~the appeal is the pack in its unopened state. The potential gems inside are a distant second to the appeal of the packaging. Once the pack is opened, that mystique is gone. >>

+1

To me the appeal of what is in the pack is far outweighed by the unopened pack itself. If I pull a Brett rookie or Henderson rookie that would be amazing, but I can always go buy an 8 or a 9 on Ebay; however, with an unopened pack in some cases it does not mater how much money I have to spend. Some of those just don't exist, and to have something that is rare is part of collecting itself. Not to mention everyone likes to go back to a time in their life which was simpler. Being a young boy again(7-8 years old) and putting on your first uniform and first glove, and after the game going to 7-11 with your brothers and getting a Coke in a 16oz glass bottle and a few 1976 packs was the greatest thing in life. Cards allow you to go back to that simpler time, and unopened packs do it even more because of the anticipation.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    If my wife and kids ever get my pyramid finished, all my unopened is getting "buried" with me!!

Seriously though, my plan is to have my boys interested enough to carry it on... and worse case, I've got some vending stashed up for ripping and would probably sell the wax/rack/cellos before I'd ever open them.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost always find the ripping experience disappointing. It's the same feeling I get on the few occasions I gamble. I don't collect full boxes, but I have no desire to open any of my packs. Especially not the wackys!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to rip all of mine. Have a bunch of friends over, crack a couple of bottles of Casa Noble, and rip away.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think nostalgia plays the biggest role for unopened collectors. I am transformed back to the grocery store or card shop when I look at the unopened boxes. I get to be 12 again. The unopened I have is from the 80's because that is when I started as a child. The value for me is in looking at all the unopened. I could open it all, but how many 85 topps Clemens or 84 mattingly rookie do I need? the one aspect of bbce wrap that I don't like is that I can't enjoy the packs themselves.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited, double post.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    me and everyone here collect unopened because of what may be inside!!!!!

First I completely disagree with this quote. I have never bought unopened for whats inside but look at it as a collecting piece in of itself. So I do not plan on opening anything even on my deathbed. I am hoping that later on to sell some of my harder to find items to someone else that looks at unopened in the same way and would not want to open it either.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope I am one of your friends that is invited Anthony. I will purchase the drinks and eats.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Well since my wife and 2 teenage daughters have zero interest in my cards I would probably open several boxes. If they had any interest at all I would open a few boxes with them. Sigh!!
  • Options

<< <i>I sure hope I am one of your friends that is invited Anthony. I will purchase the drinks and eats.

Shane >>

Shane, I promise if I do rip them I'll save the '54 packs to rip with you and Levi, being your favorite years.

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I sure hope I am one of your friends that is invited Anthony. I will purchase the drinks and eats.

Shane >>

Shane, I promise if I do rip them I'll save the '54 packs to rip with you and Levi, being your favorite years. >>

Please spare the '56!
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to buy a couple boxes from each year I covet. This will afford me the opportunity to break one in my old age and then leave the rest for the other unopened junkies to fight over. I do love to gaze at a nice pyramid of BBCE wrapped boxes from a given year with the top box displayed so you can see the packs. Nothing cooler than that IMO. Someday those top boxes are going down image

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> What are u going to do with your unopened in the end? >>

It's in my will.

The stuff goes 6 feet under with me.
    Mike
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd rather sell my collection before I go to the big National in the sky, rather than burden my family with the task (and possibly get ripped off). I just hope I get the chance to do that.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I'd rather sell my collection before I go to the big National in the sky, rather than burden my family with the task (and possibly get ripped off). I just hope I get the chance to do that. >>

My wacky packages pack collection will likely be worthless by the time I die, so I would hope my son would keep it as a memory of me, knowing how much it meant to me, even if it doesn't mean anything directly to him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Shane >>

Shane, I promise if I do rip them I'll save the '54 packs to rip with you and Levi, being your favorite years. >>

Please spare the '56! >>

I"m going to rip that in front of Bishop! And the '58.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Shane >>

Please spare the '56! >>

I"m going to rip that in front of Bishop! And the '58. >>

Anthony, you can always start with something from the 60s tonight to test the waters! LOL!

• Options
    personally, my memories are ripping them when i was little....pealing back the deck looking for the tell tale sign of the little yellow flag in the corner in the upper left corner , then does it say outfield,,then is that rickies elbow, bat and batting stance? or is that multiple figure rookie card of the dodgers fernando mania, or even the expos..tim raines..thats why i collect..looking at them the temptation is always to open them wondering whats inside. a very close second is the aesthetics of pack.

even when i buy a high figure box...looks great on the shelf...but I'm immediately wondering whats inside those little cushion packs.

kind of like taking care of a case of an exquisite wine for decades and not wanting to finally savor the taste of a single bottle before u go to the big national in the sky or worse..ugh.

the family will be fine...im ripping away....plus they'd prob sell for the price stamp on the box....10 cents a pack?...ill take ten
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i> the one aspect of bbce wrap that I don't like is that I can't enjoy the packs themselves. >>

If there are never plans to sell them, removing the BBCE wrap is an option.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in awe of people who have the will power to collect unopened stuff. I usually cannot even wait until I drive home to open packs/boxes
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    This is gonna sound really morbid.

I was watching TV and it made me think of what would I do if I lost my eye sight to macular degeneration or something.

I would still go to shows and have Mary take me around or maybe "guilt" cpamike (I'd tell him I would open all my stuff right in front of him if he didn't! image) into walking me around the floor to say hi to everyone here and focus totally on unopened.

I'm familiar with all the brands and one can "feel" an unopened pack/box - at least I'd still have a connection to our hobby.
    Mike
  • Options
    steve wynn is nearly blind and still collects $400 million dollar paintings, and art. although he did tear a hole in one...but he does manage to appreciate art
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I will be there Anthony. What a day that will be.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    For me the unopened boxes will be sold someday and the unopened packs likely held on to. Atleast for the most part as I do love selling and collecting but hardly ever ripping. My one exception is that I never pulled an UD Griffey back in the day so I've got a few boxes sitting around to rectify that some day.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I am taking my Topps pack run ( penny packs for 56 and 58 because Anthony won't give his nickel packs) on the Regent Seven Seas 2017 World Cruise, leaving one hidden in every port, and then leaving a map
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    what would I do if I knew that I had 2 months to live

it's nice to say that I would rip it all and damn my heirs--but practically speaking for me it is a very valuable asset that I have accumulated over the years--to the exclusion of other assets really. The fact that it was fun was a big bonus and just made that much more sense. I started out in the mid-80s buying cello packs and rack packs with stars on top--so it would not make much sense to rip those--

while never for an investment--until 6 years ago anyway--I never envisioned ever opening my wax, rack, wax boxes or cello packs. I am a true unopened collector who loves the history of the packs and the nostalgia of it all. So I never really intended to rip it--though I have ripped an occasional pack or 2. So if I had the time I would rip my dream packs--2--1961 Fleer basketball and maybe a pack or 2 of 1969 basketball--then sell the rest--as I will eventually anyway. I would not want to burden my heirs with the hassle of selling my collection--which is still growing. It will be a HUGE burden to them--or yours

To that end I have taken meticulous inventory and where everything is and what the FMV is on a particular date--and even who to call when the time comes if it is up to them. Last thing I want is for them to call just anyone in the hobby. I would rather they call someone I have trusted over the years.

As a collector I would have trouble ripping a truly rare item- I would rather sell an item that is rare to just as passioned a collector as I and let them enjoy it until their death bed. And then so on….

but if you do do it Anthony do it on the pavilion at the Natty so we can all enjoy!
  • Options
    Nah, I was just kidding. This video cured me.

Flatfoots Sobering Reality

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    My personal view is that it would be better to die thinking there was something really great hiding in your unopened packs than opening them and finding nothing but OC commons to look at while you lay there dying
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>My personal view is that it would be better to die thinking there was something really great hiding in your unopened packs than opening them and finding nothing but OC commons to look at while you lay there dying >>

+1

If I knew I had just 2 months to live, the enjoyment of opening the packs would be somewhat compromised in the first place.

I'd leave everything in place. My wife already has the Probstein and PWCC business cards, lol..

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Manny, did you give them my cell number or my landline???? image
  • Options

<< <i>My personal view is that it would be better to die thinking there was something really great hiding in your unopened packs than opening them and finding nothing but OC commons to look at while you lay there dying >>

Agree Al - go out on a high note!
    Mike
  • Options
    Imp. Advice
    ....great points by flatfoot, tim, I'm sure esquire et al...that occurred to me a few years ago......you have to list the details with AH name and the person (owner) of that Ah you want connected with in your will. With its executor, lawyer, best friend or whoever. Then dates, price bought and a rough current market price. And what items go where.

I can think of a few specific names from a few AHs that still call twice a year wanting consignments (not just sports cards)....I shudder to think of them cold calling my family with "ill take care of you, we go way back, trust me" My family knows how i feel but that may be a hectic time with details being lost.

"don't the neighborhood kids like that michael jordan....this plastic cards would fit perfectly in the trick or treat bags....one each now...oh, y'all look so cute..just take a handful" ugh