Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Circulation Strikes vs. Coins for Circulation

As I title this "Circulation Strikes vs. Coins for Circulation," I'm thinking primarily about the Kennedy Halves that have been produced in our U.S. Mint sets since 2002. In a way, I feel like I'm being duped by the U.S. Mint as they produce them to create additional revenue. Because they are not issued for circulation, I really think of them more in the category of proof coins. Or perhaps I'm just lamenting the fact that the half dollar is leaving us as a circulating coin (recently my credit union had none when I asked). I guess I'm a traditionalist in that if the U.S. Mint is creating a circulation strike of a coin, they should be releasing the coin for circulation. Otherwise, I'm just being required to buy them to keep my Kennedy Half collection complete each year.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Well they definitely not Proof coins, since that refers to the method of striking the coin.

But half and dollar coins don't really circulate in the USA anymore. The government wishes they would, at least with the dollar coin so it can replace the bill.

The Mint likes to make money and they do that by selling coins, so there is not much you can do about it.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Some have been lobbying the government to discontinue the penny. I expect if they would ever discontinue the penny for circulation, they'd still be making them for the U.S. Mint Sets also. Yes, no logical reason why they've been minting 5 different dollar coins the past few years, other than legislation was passed to require it and a way to make more money. Perhaps legislation is requiring the continued minting of the Kennedy Half as a circulated coin. The thing is, when I buy my Mint Set and Proof Set each year, I'd rather have them reflect the coins or denominations that are made for circulation. The Kennedy Halves and somewhat the dollar coins are more like commemorative coins we're being required to buy if we want the sets.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In one sense I can understand your frustration with having to buy coins that are "made to sell" because they no longer have a role in commerce. Back in the 19th century the mint made similar coins when a design was no long relevant simply because the authorizing legislation was still on the books. The 1877 and '78 Twenty Cent Pieces and the 1879 to '85 Trade Dollars immediately come to mind. The mint stopped making them when Congress ended the authorization for those issues.

Still, can you imagine how dull the Proof and mint sets would be if there was nothing but a nickel, dime and quarter in them? Those sets would quickly lose a lot of their collector following, and the value would go to zip. I actually look forward to seeing the Kennedy Half Dollar in the Proof set every year. It is the largest coin in the set, and when it is made of silver, the most attractive in my opinion.

Unfortunately coins are becoming more and more obsolete given the inflationary nature of our economy. As time goes on, higher denomination coins are going to be needed to take the place of what we have now, or coins will be little more than a distant memory for most American citizens, and something odd for collectors to continue to accumulate.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The mints went from function to business.From looseing money to making money!image
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You make a great point TigersFan2, it's precisely why some folks end their sets at a certain date and abandon the quest to "keep up" with mint output of NCLT coin-like objects.

My own 1793-2000 US type set ends with a single 2000 Sac dollar, I simply refuse to buy anything newer.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A related issue is the tendency of many mints worldwide to issue commemoratives in both "uncirculated" and "proof" finishes. Typical "uncirculated" commems have flat, unappealing surfaces that lack luster (similar to cleaned or overdipped circulating coins), and their main appeal is their low mintage when compared to their proof counterparts. This low mintage itself occurs because a hefty majority of collectors ordering from the mint opt for the more attractive proof coins, even though the proofs cost more. If uncirculated commems were discontinued, I think most collectors would not miss them.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I continue adding the Kennedy Halves in my Dansco Albums because (1) there's a hole for them and (2) they're included in the mint sets. But I have no interest in the 2012-present S-mint Washington quarters. Not in the mint sets and Dansco doesn't include holes for them in the album that I have. Circulation strikes should actually have coins that are circulated, otherwise they're really just commemoratives.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....old worn copper will eventually pull you out of this dilemma
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect how you like. No one is requiring you to define your set a certain way.

Regarding Bill's comment on inflation, it would be nice if the US moved to larger denominations for circulating coins like the UK has with the 1 and 2 pound coins. Of course, when you can easily have over $10 in change in your pocket, then things really start to feel inflationary.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for high denomination coins. I think many people would find a $500 coin with a cat on the front and a dog on the back very handy for paying vet bills
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it, there are a lot of partial rolls out there, as I just updated my prezzie album and wondered how many more might call me and ask, "You got the Johnson ? "

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file