Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

James Atlee dug relic coin and teasing photo of button found eBay link

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seam Cutter And plow button. The story is wonderful and the tease of the not for sale button in particular shows similarities with the mysterious Vermont Ryder 5..same strange little trees Same Maker?? imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Silly me to think this of interest...
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silly me to think this of interest... >>

Change the thread title to Jigsaw coin rip-off on eBay scam showing button not for sale and then you may have something.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy is asking "moon money" for a badly damaged coin (turned into a "seam ripper"), and he links it to a "tease item," a button with "AT" on it, that he has associated with James Atlee. Could it be that that guy who is trying for "moon money" is jumping to conclusions? The Ryder 5 variety is not in Bower's colonial book, and I had to scurry to some of my obscure references to find out anything about it. The general feeling is that it could have been made any time between the 1780s and 1858.

You sorta have be among the people who collect very obscure colonial coin varieties with three quarters or more of the coin worn smooth to take a shine to this. I sat in at the 4C meeting at last EAC convention to marvel that people are jumping to pay so much for coins like that. I'm not one of them.

Sorry, but it's hard to get excited about this.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    It's C4 Bill, not 4C. Also, it's JA on the button, not AT. .....other than that great reply.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the stuff you collect ambro51 and although I always feverishly read your threads/comments I mostly don't have anything to add to your discussion.

I have to imagine I'm not alone in this and others may feel likewise.

Keep it up! Your enthusiasm and knowledge is what drives this forum above most others.

peacockcoins

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    agree with Braddick and sorry I missed this on the first go round

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have been copying designs throughout history. Imitative Athenian owl tetradrachm. Celtic "barbarous" copies of widely circulating Roman coins. Gambling and gaming "spielmark" depicting 19th century US and European coins. The fake sovereigns and 20th century half- and quarter-eagles from India or the middle-east made of real gold to exact weight.

Not really counterfeits--just pieces made when there was a need and known, popular designs were a logical choice.

To be honest, I don't see more than a passing similarity between the two designs. And the plow was a widely popular image on circulating pieces of the time.

I appreciate the speculation. But at best, the button seems like a crude attempt of recreating the Ryder design by someone other than the original designer.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Silly me to think this of interest... >>

Change the thread title to Jigsaw coin rip-off on eBay scam showing button not for sale and then you may have something.
    image >>

Looks like a can opener.
    Paul
  • Options
    The Vermont Landscapes are still poorly understood. Ryder 2,3 and 4 are punch linked to themselves but no other known coinage. Ryder 6,7,8 are punch linked to Rupert Mint struck Ryder 9, 10, 11 and 15, and nothing else. Ryder 5 struck is not punch linked to any known coin. It is a poorly "designed" coin with a flat low relief reverse and a high relief feature (the Sun) on the obverse. One could probably be spun like a top on a table (a 30K$ top). The origin of the coin is wholly unknown being first offered for sale in 1858. ••••••••• The thing that strikes me here is that since Atlee was a coiner at Machins Mill and a contract signer with the Vermont Mint and Harmon, could the features of this button possibly point to it's maker being Atlee, and hence the Ryder 5 as more of a legitimate issue during the state coinage era. I would not be surprised if more. Colonials emerge as that guy digs on the site. A curious note is that only Ryder 4 and Ryder 5 use the correct Latin phrasing "vermontis" instea of "vermonts." and "vermontensium"". A surprising number of educated people of that era had some schooling in Latin
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread, ambro. You sure do find some areas in numismatics that are still open to interpretation.
    Fascinating to research, and in my opinion alot cooler than Barber coinage and modern mint fads. But to each, his own

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file