Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Red Heart Dog Food PSA Set Project UPDATE 6/26/2016 Set Completed

I have decided to do a PSA graded 1954 Red Heart Dog Food set. My plans are to do the set in PSA 8. I will upgrade the Mantle when I find a nice centered one at a reasonable price. I just picked up the second card for my set, a nice looking Musial. I will update this thread as I find more cards. It will be a slow process as centering is a big problem with this set. I hope to find cards that are at least 60/40 centered. There are a lot of 7's and 8's that are too off center for my taste. This will be my first PSA set so wish me luck.

James

Comments

• cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards James and good luck. It is one of the better regional sets in my opinion.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great start to your set James. I'll look forward to following along with your progress.
    Steve
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards. One of my two favorite regional sets. I always liked the Red Hearts and the 1954 DanDee set.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I didn't know much about this set until I just looked it up. Ironically the only 2 cards I have seen from this set were the two cards you displayed - Musial and Mantle. That is a classic image of The Mick and the red background on the Musial jumps off the card.

Good luck with your project and please post pics along the way.

Here is a cool article about the set:

<A HREF="http://www.psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/4617/set-no-dog-closer-look-1954-red-heart-baseball-card">Link</A>

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two great cards to start this set. Good luck and I look forward to the updates.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice cards James.

Best of luck on your quest.
    Mike
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Great cards, and I loved reading the story behind the set. Learn something new in this hobby everyday it seems image

Good luck with your journey

Jeremy
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice classic set. Good luck with the pursuit. That is often the most enjoyable part!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    James ... Nice set ... very colorful. Real nice start. Keep us informed with your progress. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Love this set. Good luck

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Very nice cards. Despite my name I don't collect the set (though I do have the two above). I've followed it for years on eBay, though. The Musial is very difficult to find well centered, even in an 8. Most 8s sell in the $1300 range these days but the best centered 8 I've seen on eBay went for over $2000- and that was 3 or so years ago.

The nice thing about this set is once you've acquired Musial and Mantle, the set becomes (relatively speaking) affordable. It'll just come down to your centering standards; especially among the short printed cards that don't come up for sale very often.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great, colorful set. Good luck with it!!
    Daniel
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your comments. I need another project since I finished my unopened box project. I'm looking forward to working on this set. If I didn't care about centering I could probably finish the set in a few weeks. Almost all of the cards are currently listed on Ebay but very few are centered and the ones that are are priced too high.
    James
    I picked up a couple more cards for my set. I think most of the cards will end up being PSA 8 as long as I can find centered ones. I hope to have another update later this week.
    James

Beautiful cards James! Congrats on the new pick ups.
    Steve
    Thank you Steve. I have a pretty major update. I upgraded the PSA 6 Mantle. The new one is still a little off center but I'm happy with it. I think I will do the rest of the set in PSA 8.
    James

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    James----Your upgraded Red Heart Mickey Mantle is a honey. Nice going. It's hard to decipher what made this card better, though I feel the corners certainly look NM-MT. The colors on yours really pop and simply glow. Those cards might seem too plentiful to some, but they're flat-out beautiful, so who cares if it's not rare. At PSA 8, your Mick stands out from most of the other existing specimens. Here's a sincere wish you have lots of fun completing this set. When done, perhaps you can arrange them around a framed original advertisement. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
    I received the Spahn that I mentioned in the other thread. It is a very nice looking card. Out of 333 Red Heart Spahn cards that have been graded only six graded a 9 and four of those had qualifyers. There are no 10s. There are only two PSA 10 Red Heart cards and both are Mantles. As I mentioned in the thread about this Spahn, all Spahns that are centered on the front are off center on the back. I am still trying to decide if I will break this one out and have it regraded, send it in for review or leave it as is.
    James

It seems that most of the pictures are gone so I will add pictures of all of the cards I have so. I have two more on the way. I think this set is going to be a bit tougher than I thought. There are a few cards for sale on Ebay or other sites that I need but they are priced higher than I am willing to pay. I did pick up a PSA 8 Spahn to replace the 9mc one I have. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the 9mc card. I'll send the SGC Martin To PSA and hope it crossed to an 8.
    James

Some really good looking card James.

The Mantle is a beauty!

I was looking at one for sale a while back - but they wanted too much dough for it.
    Mike
    Those are some sharp cards James. How many cards in the set?
    Steve
    Thanks for the nice comments.

Mike,
    It seems that most of the Mantles, and about all other cards, from this set are over priced. I'll eventually end up selling the PSA 6 Mantle that I have.

Steve,
    There are 33 cards in the set. 11 with each background color with the red ones being the toughest to find. With the two cards I'm waiting for, I'll have 1/3 of the set.

James
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    These are all wonderful cards. I particularly love the Spahns.
    I've been out of town working so I haven't updated this thread in a while. I have added a few cards to my set. As of now I have 15 of the 33 card set plus 2 duplicates. I have 3 more cards on the way one of which is a duplicate. I have 3 cards that will be upgraded when I find PSA 8 cards to replace them with. I'll crack the SGC 8 Martin and send it to PSA and hope for an 8. There are a few nicely centered cards that I want on Ebay and other sites but they are way over priced.
    James

Here are a couple pictures of all of my Red Heart cards.
    James

Great additions James! Good luck with the crossovers.
    Steve
    Hiya James

What a great set!

Good luck on the cross - the additions are sweet.

Next to the 63F set, this is another superb one to do because of the size and affordability in an 8 grade.
    Mike
  • James, this has quickly become one of my favorite threads on CU. That slaughter is bananas!!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Hi James, I just came across your thread and enjoyed reading it. I had no idea this set existed until I was hunting for Mantles. I actually got one in an auction because I was attracted to the centering of the card. And the coloring/pic. I don't know if you'd like to view it although Im sure you've already seen it out there.

I was even more thrilled when I received it in the mail vs just the online pic. But now Ive read that it exists in a few other colors? Does that apply to Mick also? Really enjoyed your pics. Awesome journey. Please keep us updated. The centering of your collection across the board is unreal!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    Hi James, I just came across your thread and enjoyed reading it. I had no idea this set existed until I was hunting for Mantles. I actually got one in an auction because I was attracted to the centering of the card. And the coloring/pic. I don't know if you'd like to view it although Im sure you've already seen it out there.

I was even more thrilled when I received it in the mail vs just the online pic. But now Ive read that it exists in a few other colors? Does that apply to Mick also? Really enjoyed your pics. Awesome journey. Please keep us updated. The centering of your collection across the board is unreal!!

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

All of the Mantles have the blue background. In the 33 card set there are 11 with the green background, 11 with blue and 11 with red. The red is said to be the shortest printed.

James
    JFK.... i thought maybe you'd appreciate looking at this...had to have it because i just loved the centering

photo s-l1600_zpsvqjgghqe.jpg
    now that its in HD and blown up maybe the centering isn't all that good...ugh...still nice to my eye....especially since i didnt know about Red Heart a few months ago
    Great looking Mantle. It is off just a little top to bottom but side to side looks prefect.

James
    Just a small update this time. I added the Minoso, upgraded the Pierce from a 7 to an 8 and bought another Lollar that I thought might be a little better centered.

James

Time for another update. I added 3 more cards and upgraded the Lollar to one that is a little better centered. The PSA 8 Lemon is one of 41 PSA 8s and there are none higher. I got lucky and found one that is nicely centered. I have a couple more cards on the way. I should have them by the middle of next week.

James

thanks for sharing.

you're really knocking these out.....how far along are you? got to be close..its already a quality set
    Originally posted by: seebelow

thanks for sharing.

you're really knocking these out.....how far along are you? got to be close..its already a quality set

Right now I have 17 of the 33 cards that are PSA graded. I also have one each SGC and BVG graded cards. I have a PSA 8 replacement coming of the BVG graded card. I have made pretty good progress so far but it is going to be slow going trying to find the rest of the cards. There are 3 or 4 cards that I'll end up buying in the next week or so. There are several of the cards that I haven't seen for sale in PSA 8 that I would be satisfied with for my set.

James
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those are really beautiful cards. I never really paid much attention to the set but when I see your cards together with such great centering it really grows on you. Good luck with the rest of the set!

"Molon Labe"

• Love this thread and love this set. I just took out my red heart Spahn to admire it.
    James ... what a sweet looking group of cards you have so far. Real nice looking. Best of luck on completing the set. This is the only one I have:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • One of my favorite Mick cards
    James--Keep it going. You are really putting together a sharp set and doing it quickly. Can't wait for the next updates.

Doug--That Mantle is really sharp. You must have got that one from a really great sellerimage
    Steve
    Originally posted by: slum22
    Doug--That Mantle is really sharp. You must have got that one from a really great sellerimage

Yeah, but I paid WAY TOO MUCH for the card! image

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Thanks for all the nice comments. Doug, great looking Mantle. You couldn't ask for better centering. The Red Heart is my favorite Mantle card.

James
    Two more cards arrived today. The Erskine replaces a BVG 7 that I had as a filler. This gives me 19 PSA graded cards and one SGC card. My next deal may include a PSA replacement for the SGC card.

James

I received one SGC graded card a week or so ago and two more PSA cards today. I have one more card on the way that I should get Tuesday or Wednesday. The SGC Sauer in on the way to PSA as of today.

James

bringing on the heat...as usual....see what i did there...and great, as usual..thx for the updates
  • Love it!!
  • I like following this thread. Really cool set and that Hanks Sauer looks great!

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will