Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Hog Wild John Hannah Thread - scarce pre-rookie landed!

Hi guys, as most of you know, I'm a passionate player collector. Lately a few of my projects have come to completion, or nearly so. As I wait around for the last cards I need to finish a couple of sets, I was looking for a new project.... And I found it: a serious John Hannah player collection. As a Patriots fan who prefers to collect graded vintage, this is a perfect choice.

John "Hog" Hannah is one of only two career-long Patriots to be inducted into the HOF in Canton. The other is Andre Tippett. After an All-American career playing college ball for Bear Bryant, Hannah was drafted by the Patriots, with whom he spent the next 13 years, missing only a total of 5 games due to injury. In 1978, due in no small part to Hannah's dominating play, the Patriots rushed for an NFL record 3,165 yards. In 1981, Sports Illustrated famously named Hannah "The Best Offensive Lineman of All Time." A ten-time All Pro, Hannah was inducted to the HOF in his first year of eligibility. In the Pats' first 45 years, from their inception until the beginnings of the Brady dynasty, it can be argued that the franchise's 3 best players were Hannah, Tippett and Gino Cappelletti. It feels appropriate that I'm working to complete master collections of all three.

I hope others will feel free to post in this thread any cool Hannah items that you happen to own. I know CU member hoopguru has the #1 Hannah basic set.

As with all my projects, I set goals, and they're similar to my other player collections.

1. I always want to have at least one autograph of the players I collect, obviously. Luckily, my dad and I met Hannah at Pats' training camp in 1993 and, although I didn't yet appreciate his greatness, I do still have this autograph from that day:

Also, he's doing a signing at Doug Keating's Mansfield, MA, card show on Sept 20th. I'm hoping to attend, but if I can't I still plan to select a vintage card and mail it in to the signing.

2. When possible, I want at least one nice relic card of a player when I focus on him. I have owned this fantastic card for several years, so happy to check that box. Edited to add: this triple patch card is serial numbered 2 of 6.

3. My final and main goal is the PSA Hannah master set. My plan is two-fold: to expand the master set as much as possible, to include every playing-era Hannah card I'm aware of, and also to eventually achieve 100% completion. More on this registry in my next post, upcoming....

Comments

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool Hannah card! .... Was always a big Pats fan of that era
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • PSA John Hannah registry.

When I decided to tackle this, the master composite was 30 cards/stickers. I researched in the Beckett big book, on a couple of online trading card databases, and by searching COMC and eBay (past and present) and came up with a working checklist of 43 items (and possibly a 44th). I'm sure I'll discover several more, too, before I'm done, so obviously I plan to shake things up and expand the master composite substantially (more on that later). My first 5 graded pickups arrived today, and here are scans, along with some quick notes.

Very excited to add this one. It's Hannah's 2nd year card and, if I'm not mistaken, it is the oldest PSA 10 in my collection.

Some of my favorite football cards of all time were part of this "brothers" subset in 1982 Topps. That year is a big one for Hannah collectors, as he has 3 cards in the base set and 3 Topps stickers that year too.

When you want to build a comprehensive player collection, discovering a card like this is a great "hobby high." It's not even a Patriots card, but there he is in the foreground, looking for somebody to hit (like always), with "Hannah" and #73 clearly visible. I added 3 new slots to the master composite with these purchases and I'm glad that PSA had no objection to this card being one of those new slots.

This is another addition I'm very excited about, and another of the new slots I've added to the master set. Many of us know how difficult hand-cut box bottoms can be. This is one of only 3 total graded copies of this card, and a gem to boot!

This is the first and only (so far) PSA graded copy of this sticker and another new slot in the master composite. For those who aren't familiar with it, that blue smudge appears on virtually all copies of this sticker. Apparently PSA doesn't deduct for that. All I know is that these foil stickers are incredibly vulnerable to scratches and I'm glad this one doesn't show any.

So I've expanded the master set from 30 to 33 items, but there's more work to do. There are at least ten more items I'd like to add, maybe more. Most of those currently have zero graded copies, or only one, so I'm currently in the process of hoarding raw copies in preparation for eventual submissions. No point in showing them all, but this one is pretty obscure and I think it's cool.

This is 1986 Police Bears/Patriots, an obscure enough issue that Beckett and PSA aren't even sure which police dept in which state issued the set. I've previously shown the Tippett from the set in that thread, for those of you who follow it. PSA grades the set, but so far have only graded the Walter Payton (2 copies) and the Fridge (2 copies).

If you've made it this far, you might be curious to check out My Hannah Master Set, in progress. Obviously, I will update this thread with new additions. I have a couple coming in the mail in the next couple of days.

Thanks for following me on my new project! Again, I hope others will post some awesome Hannah items in this thread.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see the new set up and growing Dan. The 75 is sweet!
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great project! Can't wait to follow your progress.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Dan!! This will be another fun one to follow.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome start and looking forward to the progress image
  • Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

I still want to add the 2 Cappelletti cards I don't have yet, if they ever appear for sale, and I'm still chipping away at my ever-dwindling Tippett wish list, but the remaining items are becoming tougher and tougher to find. In the meantime, adding these graded Hannah cards will be a nice football project to work on. I have several more cards coming in the mail, maybe as soon as today, so there will be another update shortly. Thanks for taking the time to check out this thread, and to comment.
  • As promised, 2 more gem Hannah cards for the new collection:

imageimage

Well before I started this project, I loved Hannah's 82T In Action card. Besides his ferocity, his calling card was his mobility, a terrific "pulling" guard also known for getting downfield and delivering crunching blocks at the second level of the defense. This card epitomizes that - Hannah with a full head of steam, looking for someone to blast. I love it.
  • Whoa I missed this thread! Great looking cards, that 86 foil is real tough. I've been looking for a raw Largent for a long time that would grade gem. I thought I had one a few months ago but a small nick in the surface kept me from sending it in. Cool to see the OL getting some collecting love good luck. Keep the updates coming.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Does the back of the '83 Fleer Team Action have his name on the back? If not, PSA probably won't add it to the registry. I ran into the same thing with several Mike Bossy cards while I was building his player set. One of my goals was to get as many of the cards recognized, and added just under 100, but PSA denied several cards like your Fleer Action, citing that the player's name has to be on the back.

edit: I see it's in the registry. PSA easin' up.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread Dan. Definitely a worthy player to build a collection around. Will look forward to the updates.
    Steve
    Don't forget the Mosi Tatupu collection is next. It makes sense since Hannah blocked for him image

• Mullins, I believe including this card is consistent with their previous treatment of the Fleer team action cards. For years the Tony Dorsett master has included a fleer team action NY Giants card that shows Dorsett running the ball. PSA won't add another player's Topps card, for instance, where Bossy makes a "cameo" on somebody else's card. But if the player is shown prominently on a team card, like the Fleer ones, they'll usually add it.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mullins, I believe including this card is consistent with their previous treatment of the Fleer team action cards. For years the Tony Dorsett master has included a fleer team action NY Giants card that shows Dorsett running the ball. PSA won't add another player's Topps card, for instance, where Bossy makes a "cameo" on somebody else's card. But if the player is shown prominently on a team card, like the Fleer ones, they'll usually add it. >>

I'm not acquainted with the Fleer Team Action cards, but see that PSA allows them. A few of the Bossy cards I tried adding are team checklists and the 1980 Topps/OPC #262. After getting the heads up from PSA that they are good for the set, they were denied when I tried officially adding them. I was told that the player's name must be present on the front and/or back. I always assumed that meant in print, but I guess it also counts if it is in the image (based on the Fleer Team Cards).
  • Hannah, I've got a feeling that your whole family is going down.

Great stuff, Dan. Keep up the good work.

What's next?!

<< <i>Hannah, I've got a feeling that your whole family is going down.

>>

Haha!!
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Dan, great thread and best of luck on the sets. Good luck on the '74 Hannah, super tough card to find in PSA 9.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

• << <i>Great stuff, Dan. Keep up the good work.

What's next?! >>

I have no idea! Not thinking like that yet. Got a long way to go on this one and want to wrap up my cappelletti master and 59 Fleer Ted Williams set with the SP #68. Only after I knock out a couple of those will I even think of what's next.
  • As I mentioned in the initial post, Hannah has an upcoming signing on 9/20. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but the organizers are really good with mail order. My goal was to get his RC signed and back in a slab at a PSA 6, at least. Bought this card to crack out and mail to the signing:

Pretty happy with a PSA 7 at $20 and feeling good about getting it signed and graded at a grade I'm happy with. To be honest, the listing had a crappy photo, and I wasn't aware of the smudging of his name until I got it in hand. Still, I'm pleased with this card.
    Dan, I love seeing the different cards you have picked up. Great job with all the gems! As for the 74, the smudge is not distracting and I think you got an overall strong 7. It will look great with the auto. I will look forward to seeing the update with the sig.
    Steve
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Super tough card in PSA 9...

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Wow, that card is AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing it! I hope others will share some Hannah items.

And thanks, Steve, for the kind words. I am passionate about my player collections and it feels good to know some people appreciate what I put into my projects. I too am looking forward to having this card signed. And I've got another PSA 10 Hannah coming Tuesday.

<< <i> To be honest, the listing had a crappy photo, and I wasn't aware of the smudging of his name until I got it in hand. Still, I'm pleased with this card. >>

It doesn't look that bad and once signed, you probably won't even notice.
  • Added another Hannah dime:

With this I now have PSA 10 copies of both Hannah stickers in the 86 Topps set. I have requested to have this one added to the master set composite, the 4th new slot I've created (with at least 9 more to go). Hopefully I receive an email by the end of the week that the slot has been created.

Edited to add: for some reason, the left border in this scan looks to have evidence of tilt. I'm an anti-tilt freak and promise it's not tilted at all in hand.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA John Hannah registry.
    I added 3 new slots to the master composite with these purchases and I'm glad that PSA had no objection to this card being one of those new slots.
    >>

Dan, can you explain this for me? Added 3 news slots? Did you mean you expanded the Master Set by three more additional cards that weren't already in it?

Not sure how mamy you are on now (3?) but it looks like we are both starting at least a second PC collection (Mattingly/Buehrle & Capaletti/Hannah/Tippett)?.

• << <i>

<< <i>PSA John Hannah registry.
    I added 3 new slots to the master composite with these purchases and I'm glad that PSA had no objection to this card being one of those new slots.
    >>

Dan, can you explain this for me? Added 3 news slots? Did you mean you expanded the Master Set by three more additional cards that weren't already in it? >>

Yes, and the sticker directly above your post is a 4th item added to expand the master composite. Planning to add at least 9 more, too.

<< <i>

Edited to add: for some reason, the left border in this scan looks to have evidence of tilt. I'm an anti-tilt freak and promise it's not tilted at all in hand. >>

Nice sticker!

I think the numbering on the left corner draws the eye down and creates the illusion of a slight tilt.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    As always, Dan, congrats on some nice additions to your growing Hannah collection.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Very nice work. Looking forward to your additions.

<< <i>Added another Hannah dime: >>

Nice one! Is that a Steve Moore cameo (to Hannah's right)? I don't think he ever made it onto a football card of his own, tragic story.

• << <i>

Nice one! Is that a Steve Moore cameo (to Hannah's right)? I don't think he ever made it onto a football card of his own, tragic story. >>

I have no idea.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nice one! Is that a Steve Moore cameo (to Hannah's right)? I don't think he ever made it onto a football card of his own, tragic story. >>

I have no idea. >>

Pretty sure that's #67: Link

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have no idea. >>

Pretty sure that's #67: Link >>

That is sad for sure. He was probably known in the neighborhood for playing in the NFL and was killed by some punks hoping to cash in.

• << <i>As I mentioned in the initial post, Hannah has an upcoming signing on 9/20. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but the organizers are really good with mail order. My goal was to get his RC signed and back in a slab at a PSA 6, at least. Bought this card to crack out and mail to the signing >>

Got it back from the signing today. Fairly happy with it.
    The sig looks fantastic.

I wonder how the smudge will affect the grade? Really the sig shouldn't be there as well so maybe the smudge will be diregarded?
  • I hope so, Matt, but I guess we'll see.

A couple of pickups arrived today:

Digging the '80 Super. There are no PSA 10's of that "card." I'm having a ton of fun working on this player collection!
    Wow love the super!! The 81 Topps is great as well. As a child, I remember opening racks of 81's and thinking there must have been an error in the manufacturing being that all the team logos were missing. So, I made sure to make my own on all the Cowboys helmets using blue ball point image lol

• << <i>Wow love the super!! The 81 Topps is great as well. As a child, I remember opening racks of 81's and thinking there must have been an error in the manufacturing being that all the team logos were missing. So, I made sure to make my own on all the Cowboys helmets using blue ball point image lol >>

Lol, I hope you still have those!

I too love the Super. The photo makes him look like a bad@$$ and it's such a sharp, high res photo too. Looks awesome in hand.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Dan

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your "player" threads - we have a few people here dedicated to that and it's always nice to read on the new pickups and stuff.

I hope to have one down the road - it'll be Duke Snider.

Until then, I'll just have to enjoy guys like you and Matt e.g. image
    Mike
  • Not to bump my own thread, but I really wanted to acknowledge your nice comments, Mike. I'm so glad that you and others appreciate my player threads. I collected aimlessly for years, but ever since I became a dedicated player collector about 2 years ago, and joined CU shortly after, my collecting joy has increased exponentially. There's just something about player collecting that really resonates with me and I'm very passionate about.

You've been talking about a Snider collection for a while now and he's a very deserving subject. I can't wait til you start posting some pickups!!
  • Two years before his '74 Topps rookie card, Hannah was included in a deck of playing cards put out by the U of Alabama. To me, this is the #1 Hannah card to get. In the master composite, it's given 5.0 weighting, equal to his Topps RC and the '77 Topps Mexican. However, a quick perusal of the pop report plus 6 months of scouring eBay and other websites all make it pretty clear that his '72 Bama playing card is much tougher to locate than the other 2. There are a grand total of 3 PSA graded copies of the card.... for now. Soon there will be a 4th; I got this in the mail today:

Besides the Hannah, the other key card is of his legendary coach, Bear Bryant. Both of these will be in the mail on Monday, to eventually land at PSA.

I'm really excited about this purchase. A PSA 9 of the Hannah sold for over $100 and the lone PSA 10 sold for $200. Mine came from an amateurish listing, ending on a Wednesday afternoon, that neither showed nor mentioned the Hannah. I set a $60 snipe and won it for...... $9.50 . STEAL!!

<< <i>I set a $60 snipe and won it for...... $9.50 . STEAL!! >>

Better watch out, someone here may tell the seller you got a good deal :rolleyes;

ETA: Did you take advantage of an little old lady?
    John Hannah seems to be channeling his inner Bobby Boucher lmao!
  • She's not the devil!
  • graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Always nice to add an elusive item to the collection. Good luck on the grade!
    Cool item Dan. And at a great price to boot. Win win. Good luck on the grades!
    Steve
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done Dan! That's a great find.

Congrats.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Not to toot my own horn....but you are welcome image

<edit - had to edit my somewhat drunken post from last night....>

As a lifelong Pats fan, I love this thread and cannot wait to see what whale you come up with next to hunt down.

Congrats!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, that's a great addition!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach