Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I find the PCGS Registry very hard to navigate.

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
The main feature I'd love to use is the Internet Shop feature, but you have to have set before you can get into it. I find entering coins to the registry and difficult, and part of the time the coins I own are someone else's registry set so those pieces are blocked.

I'd like to start a Twenty Cent Piece set, but I can't figure out how to do it. I go into the new set area, and all I'm offered is gold sets. It's just very frustrating.

I've had NGC sets for years, and it's been a lot fun. This one just too hard to navigate.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill,
    Well, you need to already have inventory already added to work the easiest, that way the software recognizes what sets are available based on current inventory. After you log into "My Set Registry" look for a link almost in the same area you clicked to get into your registry that says "Add New Set".
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill if your just wanting to shop for coins you need to set up "dummy" set. That is to say, what ever series your interested in, start a set, but do NOT put any coins in it or "publish it. You will have a set then listed under "your sets" with a "False" instead of "True" listing. The advantage is that EVERY coin available will come up when you open your false set, not just the ones higher graded that a "true" set has listed.

Now as far as navigating and starting a 20C piece set, you may want to start the set and again, with no coins in it, you can use the shop feature.

Hope this helps a bit.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even get the point of staring a 20 Cent Piece Set, which means I can't start to look for the coin. All I want is an 1875-P in Mint State, NOT PROOF. That's what I need to finish the set. The trouble is I can't get to square one.

You would think that when you are on the 20 Cent Piece Set registry that there would be a button for "new sets," but there isn't.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only started a few registry sets this week. I agree, it is difficult to navigate. I couldn't even find a link to share my set with someone, so I had to copy the ID of my set, find someone else's set, and replace the ID at the end so that I could view it like everyone else.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it is very hard to navigate.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem using the Set Registry, the shop part works fine and when I enter new inventory I just check to have it automatically to my sets. Then if the coins are locked up, I get them freed up in a day or two, easy process.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I agree that the Set Registry is difficult to navigate, especially when trying to locate new sets to add. There seems to be no sense to the order of all the available sets that any of my coins can belong. One trick I do is use the "Find" command in my browser to look for the key word like "Washington" or "Barber." That helps.

But I have joined over 200 sets and it's also difficult to find a certain set that I've already joined.

I think they could improve things by adding the following functionality...

1). Put a filter at he top of the "My Sets" and "Add Sets" page to select only sets by denomination, mint sets, type sets, etc.
    2). Allow the user to organize the order the sets display. Or allow the sets to display organized by specified headers. Like create sub-headers to denote all the mint sets, all the sets by denomination, all the type sets, all the issue sets, etc.
    3). Allow a filter on the "Add Sets" page so it doesn't display the sets I'm already joined. I generally don't want to start a 2nd set of the same thing.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not need to have a set in order to use the shop feature. All you need to do is place a single coin in inventory (Registry inventory, not commercial inventory) and you can use the feature. I have no Registry sets, yet I can easily use the shop feature.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I also find adding a new set difficult. I have a large inventory and to start a set, I have to scroll page after page of possibilities of sets to start and sometime I just can't find the set.

Adding a new set is hard, so I agree with the comments.

If they would add the "add set" button to the page you are looking at under the title or "View set Composition" That would make adding a new set easy.

Say you go to quarters then Washington find the type of set you would like to start, open that category and if you are log in to the registry a button could pop up and say "start this set"

That would make adding the set I want so much easier.

I did not know you could start a set with no coin in it. I just don't see how that is possible.

Every set it shows that I can start at least has one coin in it.

I do also like the filter for adding new sets. That would at least cut down the number of new set possibilities to look at.

Bob