Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Pretty Great eBay Bust Half Cherrypick: 1817 O.103 "Punctuated Date"

I'd like to share this scarce Bust half I snagged in a BIN listing a few days ago. It is 1817 Overton 103 and is affectionately referred to as the "Punctuated Date" variety for the so-called "decimal" (which is actually die damage) between 1 and 7 in the date, making it seem to read "181.7". Although I couldn't see the dot between 1 and 7 in the seller's pics, the missing serifs on the bases of the I's in UNITED and AMERICA -- a key diagnostic for the die marriage -- and lack of die wear/clashes gave me confidence that it was O.103 rather than the common O.103a, on which no dot is present.

This is a very exciting find for me since this has always been one of my favorite Redbook Bust half varieties. And although not a significant upgrade from my current example, a PCGS VF35 which I paid through the nose for back in 2012, I like this new coin more since it matches other coins in my set better and has slightly more detail.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    you never fail to impress
    congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Congratulations.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im shocked at the premium vs the rarity rating.

guess it is more rare or more popular.

gratz on a crusty example.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Congrats on a tough variety image
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin; nice photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

<< <i>How rare is it, and what should your pcgs vf35 be worth? >>

my quick search showed it at r2 and the ngc vf30 sold for around 525 or something.

hefty premium.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Good job Brian. This variety may still be undervalued.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. That coin has a PL look even though it is well worn.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eye. It pays to do your homework.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay's dead.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice grab!
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good on your pick!

Ws
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How rare is it, and what should your pcgs vf35 be worth? >>

I paid $550 for my PCGS VF35 in 2012. After 3 years, I don't expect to see much of a return on my investment. You can expect to see it in the BST shortly with a price tag of $600. I'm still fond of the coin, but I don't have room for duplicates.

As far as rarity goes, O.103 is not rare at R3. The value lies in the intrigue of the variety (the punctuated date). This is the case with many Bust half Redbook varieties. Many of the overdates in the series are no scarcer than R2, however their values can be compared to R5< non-Redbook varieties. You should also consider that it is a Registry "Major Variety" and is needed to complete many sets.
    dupe
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you, Brian. What fun to find these in the wild. I love it when hard work pays off.

Nice photos, again.
    Lance.
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I just contacted the seller on eBay and alerted him of your cherry pick. He will be in touch with you shortly.

<< <i>I just contacted the seller on eBay and alerted him of your cherry pick. He will be in touch with you shortly.

image >>

In light of recent events, that was my biggest fear of posting this thread.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin!!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you happen to have images from the seller which does not show the decimal? The OP image definitely shows the decimal.

From what I understand, the "decimal" was a mark left behind to determine the die hardness by using a small punch.

Interesting variety and admirable procurement!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

<< <i>

<< <i>I just contacted the seller on eBay and alerted him of your cherry pick. He will be in touch with you shortly.

image >>

>>

That is awesome! image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I understand, the "decimal" was a mark left behind to determine the die hardness by using a small punch. >>

It is believed to be accidental damage...a dropped object on a softened die.

Dots-on-dies is an interesting study of CBH's. There are some cases where we just don't know why they exist. Mostly they are overdate remnants. Sometimes rust. Occasionally gaffes. But some are very peculiar. Like 1809 O.112 with a dot punched between ES in STATES, the 1832 O.113/O.114 with a dot at the neck/jawline, and the 1822 O.107 button cap (dot on cap fold).
    Lance.

• Nice pickup Brian!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numisma = Trouble Maker image

Nice pickup Brian!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eye and nice pick-up. Knowledge pays off.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great CBH.
    Glad you showed us.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

<< <i>Do you happen to have images from the seller which does not show the decimal? The OP image definitely shows the decimal.
    ... >>

Here's the seller's pic. There's definitely something between the 1 and 7, but it is not obviously the die dot. If someone saw the pic and didn't know the variety, they could have easily mistaken it for a speck of dirt.

UPDATE: Just back from grading; PCGS said VF35.
    Did you opt for TrueViews?

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭
    I think 35 is fair.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    Ebay's dead.

bobimage

Doesn't anyone get a "YOU SUCK" award anymore ?

HE>I

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed this first time around. Knowledge is power. Nice work Brian.
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Originally posted by: AUandAG

Ebay's dead.

bobimage

Doesn't anyone get a "YOU SUCK" award anymore ?

since a huge amount of amazing coins come from ebay that would otherwise sit in cases of obscurity and oblivion, shouldn't we say that ebay sucks?

c'mon, you know there are people wanting to say it.... ;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file