Home Metal Detecting

Last few hunts: Large cent and 4 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Been able to get out a few times over the past week. Found a few keepers over those hunts

2 Mercs
Sterling ring
1968 50% silver Canada Quarter. They made two compositions that year, a 50% silver issue, and I believe a mostly nickel? one. Quick way to tell is silver version doesn't stick to a magnet. It was in same hole as a 1990s Washington quarter. So someone probably didn't know what they had.
Couple of older flat buttons
Large cent!!

HH all

She's a bit ugly... right after a warm HP bath. Can at least get a date

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

I dug one of those late-date Canadian silver dimes, once (a less common find down here in the Deep South, but we do find Canadian coins). It threw me at first, because I forgot that Canada had continued their silver coins a few years later than the US abandoned the practice. The color was a plain giveaway that it was silver, though, as it came out nice and white instead of all dull brown like a clad or nickel composition coin would have.

Obviously I haven't dug the large cents like you have- only three to date, in fact- but the one Braided Hair large cent I've found happens to be an 1850 like your latest. The date on it is really weakly struck. This is how it looked when it came out of the ground.

The site where I dug it had pretty obviously been a Civil War campsite. I found a lovely "Eagle A" Artillery button with full gilt just a few feet away from it. Another digger had dug a beautifully pristine US officer's belt plate on the same site a couple of years before. I think some Confederate stuff had been found, but most of the artifacts were from Federal troops (Yankee invaders! *gasp*). But the Artillery button and belt plate were both of types issued pre-war, so maybe they were lost fairly early in the war. Federal troops had captured most of our SE GA barrier islands by 1862, and they burned the nearby town of Darien in the summer of 1863.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds... those Mercs are great... at first I thought the one on the right was a 1919... could have been the new DDO...but after looking closely I see it is 1918.... Cheers, RickO
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    I like teens Mercury dimes, have yet to find one though.