Home Precious Metals
Options

The Price of Gold

derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    you could substitute in general any commodity...
    and whose got 200++ years for kingdoms to crumble and specific fiat to go to zero, so that is just drama and a moot point...
    my thesis, when the headlines are proving central banks are buying, i should be selling, when they are selling, i should be buying...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting read.... I will continue to hold... might add some, but not in a hurry. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>you could substitute in general any commodity... >>

It specifically addresses gold and is intended for those who wish to know more about gold pricing. Obviously of no benefit to those who already know everything. Others come here to learn.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<It specifically addresses gold and is intended for those who wish to know more about gold pricing. Obviously of no benefit to those who already know everything. Others come here to learn. >>

+1 image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    It's the same old rhetoric repackaged, what can you learn by reading the same points over and over again except to memorize it yourself...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the same old rhetoric repackaged, what can you learn by reading the same points over and over again except to memorize it yourself… >>

Math never changes. We interpret, analyze, study, and move money where it works best. Gold just sits there.
    Why do we use statistics, probable counting, algorithms, charts and graphs to decide where to move money ? When , we all know… Gold just sits there. The price has no bearing on that.
  • Options

<< <i>It's the same old rhetoric repackaged, what can you learn by reading the same points over and over again except to memorize it yourself… >>

speaking of same old rhetoric. . .

<< <i>Math never changes. We interpret, analyze, study, and move money where it works best. Gold just sits there.
    Why do we use statistics, probable counting, algorithms, charts and graphs to decide where to move money ? When , we all know… Gold just sits there. The price has no bearing on that. >>

all assets just sit there. . . until their price moves.

• Options
    I agree DerryB image And yet, I have to address my friends on board. Because it's what we do best. Checks and balances. Guys chase money, others follow it. I work for it and never get paid enough.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things that just sit there most any day of the week:

Your house, car, rare coins, dog, musical instruments, weapons (pistol, shotgun, knife, etc.), 95% of your clothes, your toothbrush, the newspaper, home computer, the shade trees in your yard, the grass, etc.

The price of gold changes every minute of the day....except for a 45 min trading lull. More than the annual world production of gold (3,000+ tonnes) changes hands in the gold markets everyday. That seems like a lot more than just "sitting there." Now Beanie Babies....they just sit there. And their prices don't change by the minute.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>you could substitute in general any commodity...
    and whose got 200++ years for kingdoms to crumble and specific fiat to go to zero, so that is just drama and a moot point...
    my thesis, when the headlines are proving central banks are buying, i should be selling, when they are selling, i should be buying... >>

Are you saying that when Central Banks were selling gold in the 1995-2001 gold carry trade period you were a buyer?

And you were also seller from 2009-2011 (with Cohodk) as central banks were net buyers from 2009-2015?
  • Options

<< <i>Things that just sit there most any day of the week:

Your house, car, rare coins, dog, musical instruments, weapons (pistol, shotgun, knife, etc.), 95% of your clothes, your toothbrush, the newspaper, home computer, the shade trees in your yard, the grass, etc.

The price of gold changes every minute of the day....except for a 45 min trading lull. More than the annual world production of gold (3,000+ tonnes) changes hands in the gold markets everyday. That seems like a lot more than just "sitting there." Now Beanie Babies....they just sit there. And their prices don't change by the minute. >>

Go buy some gold from my website. image At my price please. Otherwise it is just going to keep sitting there waiting.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the same old rhetoric repackaged, what can you learn by reading the same points over and over again except to memorize it yourself... >>

It becomes the Central Dogma, trouble is, it's preaching to the choir-- we around here already own enough gold (maybe too much) and are just waiting for the rest of the world to get as smart as us about gold, right?

Oh, wait, the central banks have been buying it, because they're smart.. but wait, we're told they're not smart they're DUMB. But they're buying... dear god, what would happen to price of gold if they decided to slow down their buying, because they have "enough" gold. What if they stopped buying altogether. Holy cow, what if the world's central banks actually started to be net sellers of gold? uh oh!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's the same old rhetoric repackaged, what can you learn by reading the same points over and over again except to memorize it yourself... >>

It becomes the Central Dogma, trouble is, it's preaching to the choir-- we around here already own enough gold (maybe too much) and are just waiting for the rest of the world to get as smart as us about gold, right?

Oh, wait, the central banks have been buying it, because they're smart.. but wait, we're told they're not smart they're DUMB. But they're buying... dear god, what would happen to price of gold if they decided to slow down their buying, because they have "enough" gold. What if they stopped buying altogether. Holy cow, what if the world's central banks actually started to be net sellers of gold? uh oh! >>

But what if they don't? Uh oh!

The people controlling the central banks are very smart and calculated. If anyone thinks they are dumb, they have some learning to do.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seller from 2009-2011 (with Cohodk

I don't believe cohodk said he was a seller. I do believe he said he was not a buyer. There is a big difference. But logic and reason is lost on some of you...so blinded by hypicrosy, fear, and misunderstanding.

Many of you lambast J6P, yet you are J6P. You accept misinformation as if you wrote it yourself. So closeminded, rehashing the same lies over and over. Here it comes Baley, just like Hitler did. image.

All information is false, except what you believe. I suppose that's a good way to go thru life. Good luck. image

Gold is great if you buy it at the right price and sucks if you dont, just like any asset. Pat yourself on the back if you bought at a good price, but don't blame others if you didnt.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price of gold changes every minute of the day....except for a 45 min trading lull.

I know what you're saying, but I would posit that gold isn't changing - the currencies are changing. Constantly, in response to the latest bs coming out of the news agencies.

what would happen to price of gold if they decided to slow down their buying, because they have "enough" gold. What if they stopped buying altogether. Holy cow, what if the world's central banks actually started to be net sellers of gold? uh oh!

Maybe it would mean that the banks have thrown in the towel on manipulating every single market and have decided to work for a living and to become honest brokers of finance.

Never happen.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>.....But they're buying... dear god, what would happen to price of gold if they decided to slow down their buying, because they have "enough" gold. What if they stopped buying altogether. Holy cow, what if the world's central banks actually started to be net sellers of gold?.... uh oh! >>

The central banks were selling gold all the way from 2001-2008. All it did was provide fuel to the fire. Huh? It doesn't work that way in Baleyville. Then they were buyers from 2009-2011. More fuel to the fire. And if they hadn't been net buyers from 2011-2015 the gold price would have dropped further and faster. Banks/nations might tend to sell/lease their gold when times are good. When times are bad they tend to keep their gold, fwiw. And if the gold is there for insurance and emergency reserves....it stays put until an emergency occurs.

Gold just may rise after an announced rate hike. The first hike may already be priced in.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JP Morgue's rules #1
    Why should we buy it today when we can buy it tomorrow cheaper?

Sentiment. My personal liquidity. Availability of pre 33 unc.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should we buy it today when we can buy it tomorrow cheaper?

because we don't know the future, we only have our expectations and probability estimates.

stay balanced my friends

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    So far this week you can't buy gold cheaper than last week...not even JPM. And it's just "sitting there" like always. The Comex vault was nearly emptied of "deliverable" gold this past month until JPM showed up to save the day be reclassifying some of their deposited gold. Funny, that just by "renaming/reclassifying" gold while it "just sits there" in the vault makes all the difference in the world. image

$1100 is back. If $1106 gives way, should get a move to $1134. Today is the 4th attempt to get back above $1106 in the past 3 weeks. Silver back >$15.00 again. The bearish sentiment around here since the July 17th smash down has been brutal. That's usually a pretty good sign things can't go any lower until sentiment resets to a higher level. The entire move down in <1 minute from $1130 to $1087 was completely artificial divorced from supply/demand. It will be retraced as those shorts cover. One has to wonder if the elimination of the CME/NY Comex's open out-cry sessions for gold on July 2nd was in any way related to the smash that followed 2 weeks later? It certainly didn't make it any harder.
  • Options

<< <i>So far this week you can't buy gold cheaper than last week...not even JPM. And it's just "sitting there" like always. The Comex vault was nearly emptied of "deliverable" gold this past month until JPM showed up to save the day be reclassifying some of their deposited gold. Funny, that just by "renaming/reclassifying" gold while it "just sits there" in the vault makes all the difference in the world. image

$1100 is back. If $1106 gives way, should get a move to $1134. Today is the 4th attempt to get back above $1106 in the past 3 weeks. Silver back >$15.00 again. The bearish sentiment around here since the July 17th smash down has been brutal. That's usually a pretty good sign things can't go any lower until sentiment resets to a higher level. The entire move down in <1 minute from $1130 to $1087 was completely artificial divorced from supply/demand. It will be retraced as those shorts cover. One has to wonder if the elimination of the CME/NY Comex's open out-cry sessions for gold on July 2nd was in any way related to the smash that followed 2 weeks later? It certainly didn't make it any harder. >>

RR, why do you need 40 minutes to edit your post? Obviously not spelling lol. Or a lot of spelling lol.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    the Comex vault was nearly emptied of "deliverable" gold this past month until JPM showed up to save the day be reclassifying some of their deposited gold. Funny, that

Where/how do you come up with this stuff?

• Options
    the Comex vault was nearly emptied of "deliverable" gold this past month until JPM showed up to save the day be reclassifying some of their deposited gold. Funny, that

Where/how do you come up with this stuff?

• Options

<< <i>the Comex vault was nearly emptied of "deliverable" gold this past month until JPM showed up to save the day be reclassifying some of their deposited gold. Funny, that

Where/how do you come up with this stuff? >>

That 1, zero hedge...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Duplicate
  • Options
    duplicate
  • Options
    Duplicate
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So far this week you can't buy gold cheaper than last week...not even JPM. And it's just "sitting there" like always. The Comex vault was nearly emptied of "deliverable" gold this past month until JPM showed up to save the day be reclassifying some of their deposited gold. Funny, that just by "renaming/reclassifying" gold while it "just sits there" in the vault makes all the difference in the world. image

$1100 is back. If $1106 gives way, should get a move to $1134. Today is the 4th attempt to get back above $1106 in the past 3 weeks. Silver back >$15.00 again. The bearish sentiment around here since the July 17th smash down has been brutal. That's usually a pretty good sign things can't go any lower until sentiment resets to a higher level. The entire move down in <1 minute from $1130 to $1087 was completely artificial divorced from supply/demand. It will be retraced as those shorts cover. One has to wonder if the elimination of the CME/NY Comex's open out-cry sessions for gold on July 2nd was in any way related to the smash that followed 2 weeks later? It certainly didn't make it any harder. >>

RR, why do you need 40 minutes to edit your post? Obviously not spelling lol. Or a lot of spelling lol. >>

<< <i>....RR, why do you need 40 minutes to edit your post? Obviously not spelling lol. Or a lot of spelling lol. >>

Simple. I think a lot faster than I can type. And with dozens of different numbers floating in my head all the time I sometimes put the wrong one down...and don't discover it for a while. In this case 40 minutes. I often have to fact check my memory of prices, lows, highs, trends, etc. going back in the PM markets of the past 50 years. I can't remember every date, fact, production total, etc. even if I knew it once before. My posts are far more detailed and precise than most others' around here. When fiat bugs are posting bs and verbage without any statistical or numerical information, which is nearly ALL the time, there's never a need to go back and "fix" verbal diarrhea. And sometimes it is spelling. I've always analyzed things by laying down a framework in my posts that is about 75-90% complete....then going back to edit, supplement, proof read, etc as needed. While I realize fiat bugs have no need to do that, it's what commonly occurs in writing articles, books, proofs, etc. I never get the post I want the first time through....and rarely even the 2nd or 3rd time. You don't see many 1 sentence replies from me either...lol.

In that post above I came back and added the last sentence about the cessation of the CME's open-out cry, something many here probably didn't realize. Rather than a fresh post, I just added it 40 min later. And when I first put that post down I had a "20 min drop" in gold. And when checked later found it was <1 min....so I changed it. And to make matters worse. The PCGS forum has been glitching on my computer since December. So even if I post something and try to edit it 1-2 minutes later it doesn't let me....it will churn for a couple minutes then time me out with an error message. I've had those "churns" keep me out of the forum for up to an hour at times. And in fact, when editing this post above 2X or 3X, it was churning the entire time and kicked me out half a dozen times. So coming back 40 min later is getting to be the norm for correcting posts.

Fwiw, my Firefox/PCGS were dancing again as I tried to load the above post. Got that "ERROR 524" after about 2 minutes. So tried again to reload it. This can go on for an hour.

Cohodk needs to get out more and observe market dynamics at work. Even reading on the PM markets would help. image
  • Options
    Darn, took 15 minutes to get that post to upload. Got 4 separate "524" errors before the post finally loaded....leaving several other duplicates to erase. Firefox doesn't like the CU Forum or there's an inherent problem in the forum. We've all seen the duplicate posts getting deleted. Sometimes I think the issue is related to the size of the post. And least that's the trigger in the PM's where you get a failed capture code 75% of the time on large posts.
  • Options

<< <i>Darn, took 15 minutes to get that post to upload. Got 4 separate "524" errors before the post finally loaded....leaving several other duplicates to erase. Firefox doesn't like the CU Forum or there's an inherent problem in the forum. We've all seen the duplicate posts getting deleted. Sometimes I think the issue is related to the size of the post. And least that's the trigger in the PM's where you get a failed capture code 75% of the time on large posts. >>

Oops, there's a typo/word misuse in that post above that I dare not edit for fear of triggering Streeter's post edit displacement algorithm limiter (PEDAL). Normally, I'd fix it. But better to do it this way. I don't even like the why I worded that post. Would normally alter it. Not this time. I'm doing it for Streeter's Fiateers. image
  • Options
    Posted from the bunker,

Thank you RR you know how my algorithms object to edits after 5 minutes. The Claxton wails.
    I'm thinking that the posters opinion changes like the wind. We know that can't be true in your case. image

Takes you at least a day of short covering to predict a soon to appear breakoutimage
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Cohodk needs to get out more and observe market dynamics at work. Even reading on the PM markets would help.

Or maybe I just just rehash the same old nonsense about JPM crashing the COMEX, or the COMEX vaults are empty, or JPMs vault is empty. Everyone should just type in "JPM comex vault saves collapse stolen corners", in any and all combinations and omissions into a google search and they will find the same BS stories since at least 2009. And all of the stories are from some "blog" or newsletter offering you a ticket to the promised land.

Blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is PMs will attract money when they offer relative values to investors. Its already been proven over the last 5 years, in which the world was in turmoil, chaos, unrest and the like, that PMs are no panacea.

And really Roadrunner, with all the "research and analysis" that you do and the frugal lifestyle you live, there should be no reason why you shouldnt be able to find a few good stocks and retire with 10's of millions. And I mean that with all due respect.

• Options

<< <i>Posted from the bunker,

Thank you RR you know how my algorithms object to edits after 5 minutes. The Claxton wails.
    I'm thinking that the posters opinion changes like the wind. We know that can't be true in your case. image

Takes you at least a day of short covering to predict a soon to appear breakoutimage >>

Thank you Team Streeter/OPA for identifying the summer bottom in gold on July 23rd with your PM's "the sky is falling" verbage. Sentiment is a wonderful thing. image

Team Pot is trying to call someone else a Kettle.........lol. Only in the PMs forum. image

--------

Most of what this guy says conflicts with the Fiat Bug story. Interesting view of things....certainly some of it is true. They called this Yuan devaluation back in May, and then highlighted it again the day before China devalued. His "big bang" seems similar to Armstrong's "big bang." He expects the dollar to soar much higher...along with things of value...like gold and silver. Also some comments on physical silver shortages at their firm starting at the 6:00 minute point.

Former Wall Street analyst, ranting Andy Hoffman on the price of gold, silver, and the currency end game