Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Resource for Civil War Tokens?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2018 10:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum
What's the best resource for researching Civil War tokens? Ideally it would be online and easy to scan via photos.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this one was useful. I can't say for sure it is the best.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bluitje104189mi/index.htm William Luitje

And for Hard Times Tokens, I have used:
    http://pw1.netcom.com/~jhm/htt/images.htm John H. MacMillan
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Those are great links.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll want to get a book from the Fuld brothers. Check out Steve Hayden or eBay

Check out the CWT Society site
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You'll want to get a book from the Fuld brothers. Check out Steve Hayden or eBay

Check out the CWT Society site >>

Melvin and George Fuld were father and son. The third edition of their tome U.S. Civil War Store Cards was just recently released by John Ostendorf. It has many color photographs and is head and shoulders above the long sold out second edition.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Civil War Store Card book is definitely worth the money. It does have a few odd aspects, like the removal of the rubber tokens from the regular listings to a chapter in the back, but overall I'd highly recommend it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my series and I don't have the book itself so I don't know how good or extensive it is but Whitman has a Red Book Series on CWT here. They also have one for Hard Times Tokens

JH
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not my series and I don't have the book itself so I don't know how good or extensive it is but Whitman has a Red Book Series on CWT here. They also have one for Hard Times Tokens

JH >>

The Whitman Red Book is not bad for the price, but if you get serious as a collector, the Fuld Patriotic Token book and the new Store Card book are a must. The trouble with the Whitman book is that you are coving a series that embraces 10,000 + varieties in one somewhat small volume. It could use some more photos, but if you are mainly interested in the history of the series, it's well worth it for that. If you join the Civil War token Society, you can buy the two main books for around $100 for the pair.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file