Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some fascinating information on Proof coin dies 1936-42

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here:

linky
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Great info, I love stuff like this !! image
  • Options
    <<These pages are from 1937 and describe events related to proof quarter dies. These pages are more verbose than others.>>
    The reverse quarter die was considerably reworked for 1937 by lowering the field. Perhaps that is why more attention was paid to the quarter production.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More great finds by Roger! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    thanks capt
    some very interesting data there
    hopefully this is a tip of an iceberg for this too and more can be learned about the 36' satin finish
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating.
    Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for posting the link.image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating insight. Thanks Cap'n.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting information....thanks for posting the link...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. I am working on the 36 - 42 proofs and found the info very interesting. Hope more records are located.

Mike
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Super cool information. Gives me goosebumps.

I like the #5 reverse die on August 13, 1937. They struck one coin and the die broke.
  • Options
    I imagine that a certain percentage of all dies develop fatal flaws in the die-making process that manifest themselves when the dies are put under striking pressure.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    <<I imagine that a certain percentage of all dies develop fatal flaws in the die-making process that manifest themselves when the dies are put under striking pressure.>>

I think the evidence shows new designs or new die alloy need a breakin period before die life settles down. I don't know why this would be, seeing as there are no obvious differences in the final product..
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<I imagine that a certain percentage of all dies develop fatal flaws in the die-making process that manifest themselves when the dies are put under striking pressure.>>

I think the evidence shows new designs or new die alloy need a breakin period before die life settles down. I don't know why this would be, seeing as there are no obvious differences in the final product.. >>

<<< ex machinist who studied lots about general die making
    some issues arise out of the alloy process being inconsistent...many a variable exist on the atomic level there
    arrangement of all the different atoms just isn't within our full control

as much as dies go through a manufacturing process of being "hardened"...coining introduces an additional level of that hardening process called "work hardening"
    minute fractures can cause a die to fatigue earlier then their designed life..."expectancy"

there is alot of variables that can go wrong and until final "use application" is applied
    a die is just an unattested production piece until it goes into working application where even then on the atomic level "it adjusts"
    to a die being in use..."WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES"

proofartwork
    that's where one of the changes happen
    is when a die goes from being hardened to it's work hardened state
    those are 2 different states of being in a dies life

sometimes change is good..other times..."WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AS IT DOESN'T LIKE CHANGE"

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I seem to remember reading a description of the die hardening process in the early days of the Mint wherein when they dropped the red-hot die in a bucket of water to harden it and they could hear it crack, ruining the die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file