Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver " will be heading up back toward the $40-$50 region within the next three to five years&

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
CU wont let me post the link here because it inadvertently has a forbidden word in the link. But go to market watch.com (make it all one word, can you now figure out what the forbidden word is? LOL)
and search for the article titled, "Forget about whether $100 silver is possible — how about $1,000?"
Now that's the SPIRIT!

S-P-I-R-I-T, SPIRIT, LET'S HEAR IT
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, the comments are more interesting than the article itself. And the tone and topics of the comments is exactly the type of conversation that has been going on here on the forum for years..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Avi has been prolly one of the most that has been right on PM price movement...
    You guys got 50 years to cash in good luck...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Avi has been prolly one of the most that has been right on PM price movement...

I agree on the Avi comment.
    50 years? Avi says $50 in the next 5 years at most, not 50. image
  • Options

<< <i>Avi has been prolly one of the most that has been right on PM price movement...

I agree on the Avi comment.
    50 years? Avi says $50 in the next 5 years at most, not 50. image >>

50 is not cashin in, 1000 is...lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three to five years? Possible but I wouldn't want to see the side effects.
  • Options

<< <i>Three to five years? Possible but I wouldn't want to see the side effects. >>

Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm scared....lol... What happened last time???? Absolutely nothing...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭
    -Stocks will start to sink in late September/early October 2015 and decrease at least 40% over several months following.
    -Silver and gold will continue it's downward trickle for about 6-8 more months and then turn upward and hit mid-$40/oz by yearend 2018 or early/mid 2019.
    -US debt will hit $20,000,000,000,000 by this time 2 years from now.
    -Interest rates will have been raised 4 times by yearend 2017.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>-Stocks will start to sink in late September/early October 2015 and decrease at least 40% over several months following.
    -Silver and gold will continue it's downward trickle for about 6-8 more months and then turn upward and hit mid-$40/oz by yearend 2018 or early/mid 2019.
    -US debt will hit $20,000,000,000,000 by this time 2 years from now.
    -Interest rates will have been raised 4 times by yearend 2017. >>

And whose tossed out crystal ball are you using for your predictions?image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭
    I'll use another forum member's sig line for this......"You've been warned"
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll use another forum member's sig line for this......"You've been warned" >>

"You've been ignored" image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Three to five years? Possible but I wouldn't want to see the side effects. >>

Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm scared....lol... What happened last time???? Absolutely nothing... >>

Oh that's right. How could I forget 2008-2009 was absolutely nothing we bought our way out of for $15 trillion?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm scared....lol... What happened last time???? Absolutely nothing... >>

Oh that's right. How could I forget 2008-2009 was absolutely nothing we bought our way out of for $15 trillion?

image >>

Pardon me but this right here is a perfect example of ignorance, why talk about stuff one knows absolutely nothing about??? Heck if I know....
    Emotions most likely, easier to repeat some seemingly knowledgable info but just more false info embedded by failure to take take to examine info personally...
    Or maybe who the heck knows but it's why America is America....

In the words of one of the greatest academia of our time..
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life, son...

And in case and I'm sure no one or few get what I have identified in this quoted bloat of nonsense, maybe I'll point it out later and maybe I won't...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image[/q

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I searched multiple sources a few months back and the bracketed range for the cost of the 2008-2009 crisis ranged from $12 to $22 TRILL. Even the govt's own GAO agreed with the lower end of that range. Recall that otc credit default swaps were deleveraged down some $20-$30 TRILL. And MBS derivatives went from $5-7 TRILL down to almost nothing. Someone had to pay the winners off on those bets. A large % of the money payola'd out doesn't show up on any FED or USTreasury accounting sheet. I recall seeing the end of 2008 BIS/OCC otc derivative's holdings. And the big banks declared a net $7-$10 TRILL "gain" in value. That would seem to suggest someone profited very big and pay offs were made. For lack of anything better I'll stick with the GAO at -$12 TRILL....though I think it's really on the order of $15-$20 TRILL.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Pardon me but this right here is a perfect example of ignorance, why talk about stuff one knows absolutely nothing about??? Heck if I know....
    Emotions most likely, easier to repeat some seemingly knowledgable info but just more false info embedded by failure to take take to examine info personally...

And in case and I'm sure no one or few get what I have identified in this quoted bloat of nonsense, maybe I'll point it out later and maybe I won't... >>

Don't worry rawteam1 -you make a fine example yourself.

Keep on fooling yourself, it's easy.

P.S. I have an MBA magna cum laude from a major university.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

And in case and I'm sure no one or few get what I have identified in this quoted bloat of nonsense, maybe I'll point it out later and maybe I won't... >>

Don't worry rawteam1 -you make a fine example yourself.

Keep on fooling yourself, it's easy.

P.S. I have an MBA magna cum laude from a major university. >>

What a joke...should send it back...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    PM sent Rawteam1. We can discuss this offline.
  • Options
    Y? And why do people get pissed when they are wrong ??? Who knows... Preference should be to get understanding, no matter how painful...
    Oh yea that pride stuff... And how pray tell does memorizing a bunch of stuff at a U give one some instant credibility in anything??? Search Henry Ford what he thought of that...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Forget about whether $100 silver is possible — how about $1,000?"

I'll believe it when I see it. If it's gonna happen, let's shoot for the top end, ok?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    And in case and I'm sure no one or few get what I have identified in this quoted bloat of nonsense, maybe I'll point it out later and maybe I won't...

And of course being cryptive and unclear in what is said leaves room for interpretation on the writers part so when someone thinks they've figured out what has been said, the author can then put a new spin on things if the circumstances warrant such action, right. The ultimate way to leave the door open to later change ones mind tactic. Nicely done rt1. image

Me, I prefer to "talk right down to Earth, in a language here, can easliy understand"
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    POM, it's not gonna happen that fast, probably 20 years or more before we see $40 again. Its funny how all the dealers thought I was crazy when I said $18 was coming and then soon $15. Look up my post, sorry to say market manipulation vs lacking fundamentals equals lack of rising PM's. The crap these idiots post in their silver gonna hit $1000 and ounce blogs and articles is funny at best.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $15 compounded at 6% a year for 100 years is almost $6000. Whoohoo!!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you guys live in a dream world, wont happen.

Not saying it wont run back up year or two down the line, but those numbers are obsurd.
  • Options

<< <i>POM, it's not gonna happen that fast, probably 20 years or more before we see $40 again. Its funny how all the dealers thought I was crazy when I said $18 was coming and then soon $15. Look up my post, sorry to say market manipulation vs lacking fundamentals equals lack of rising PM's. The crap these idiots post in their silver gonna hit $1000 and ounce blogs and articles is funny at best. >>

Who can say if it's 20 yrs...or 5 years, 10 years, or never. Once silver fell below strong support at $26 the game was over. Any "low" predictions from that point were sort of useless as it was pretty clear where things were headed. Cohodk called gold at $1200 and silver down around $14-$16 long before it became "popular" to "outlow" the next guy....up around the $1600/$26-$30 level as I recall.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this guy is right but at the end of the day he knows for 100 % certain as much as a 5 year old does.
  • Options
    In population ecology, there is a concept known as "doubling time", the time for the population to double, for bacteria it might be 20 minutes, for mammalian cells in continuous culture it might be 24 hours, for mice it might be a month, for humans it might be 35 years, etc.

For investments, a good rule of thumb is that a nice investment should double in 7 years. if it doubles faster, hey, great, yay that investment! if it's slower, it's probably safer than an investment that doubles in 7 years or less, which can also get cut in half in a year or two depending on the market cycles or if the risks that were taken to try to achieve yield crapped out and you end up losing money.

Do you think silver can double or triple in 3-5 years?

I don't.

I do believe I will see $50, $60 $70 silver someday, but think it may take 10, 20 years to get there again.

there are too many people getting older day by day and holding physical silver, who will sell next time it sees $40+, including many many heirs whose parents and grandparents bought the stuff in the first place.

They're going to want to buy hot tubs and fire features image

• Options
    Silver went up 2X within 6 months, twice in the 1970's. That was during the 3rd and 5th legs higher of the 1962-1980 move. It did it twice this last bull market, with 2 additional times being pretty close. Gold never did it. With half a dozen examples of silver essentially doubling in 5-7 months, I'd say doubling in 3-5 years is hardly a challenge. Silver moving up from $14 to $28 could happen in a lot less than 3 years. If it happened to drop to $12-$13 from here....then a move to $26 to former support/resistance would be quite logical. I don't think that would take 3-5 years. I'd be surprised if it took more than 18-24 months. First order of business is ending the slide.

And to show no bias. Since the 2011 peak silver has fallen >45% in 5 months and a second time in 8 months. And the crash into and out of the October 2008 bottom was vicious in both directions. It works both ways. Following silver's crash in 1980 it went up in 90% in 12 months (May 1986-May 1987). I wouldn't ever rule out a doubling in a short period of time after an extensive down turn.
  • Options
    I thought this article had some interesting provisions in it. While the fiat bugs will take exception to the "C" word in this article, there are some interesting facts. The mint was not supplying the coins to the market as required by US law. And because they ran into flack on this issue by suspending production multiple times, they just changed that law to allow the Secretary of the Treasury to suspend production whenever he likes. Nothing like an old Citigroup guy/hedge fund manager running the show. I had forgotten that Silver Eagles are numismatic items per US law....not bullion. But the SOT could probably get that changed too.

US mint "playing" with silver prices?

The author above mentions what the $9 BILL in silver derivatives are all about. Now that Citibank increased the total amount of silver derivatives by >$50 BILL in 2015....what's that all about? Any help from Citibank alumnus Mr. Lew there? Or how about former Citi CEO Robert Rubin? He was the original king of PM's manipulation in the 1960s (London Gold Pool) and then the strong dollar policy/gold carry trade of the 1990's. The apples don't fall far from the Citi/GS/JPM trees.

Also from the author:

Everyday since the Mint began selling Silver Eagles again on Monday the amounts have been rising dramatically. So much so that on Thursday the July totals hit 5,529,000 coins sold even though they were closed for half the month.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=PreciousMetals&type=bullion

On the surface it’s been very positive news for silver bugs but what struck me as CRIMINAL MANIPULATION was that the US Mint STOPPED adding sales on Thursday at that specific amount 5,529,000 and added ZERO sales on Friday. Why did they stop adding to the sales data? Because anything more than that amount would have made HEADLINES!!! You see, the largest sales month in 2015 so far was January where the Mint sold 5,530,000 Silver Eagles. Did they stop adding to the sales data on purpose to change perception? You decide…because the US Mint posted ZERO Silver Eagle sales for Friday – the last day of July! Could you just imagine the headlines if the amount of Silver Eagles sold in July (when the US Mint shut down production for half the month) was the highest month of the year? Conclusion: The Silver Manipulation Con continues at the highest levels of the US Government.

I don't know if the "C" word applies here....that's for the fiat bugs to pounce all over. But to fall exactly 1,000 coins short of January's record totals is a bit coincidental....lol (2 minutes of production). And with half the month shutdown....it certainly was an all time production record. That's just a statistical fact....if you believe the US Mints production totals in the first place....lol. The author has written some pretty crazy stuff over the years (ie Road to Roota). I just try to pick out the few facts that are worthy of mentioning. Fiat bugs haven't been fed since last week so I offer this up to them.

January 5,530,000
    February 3,022,000
    March 3,519,000
    April 2,851,500
    May 2,023,500
    June 4,840,000
    July 5,529,000... image
  • Options
    If so much silver is being accumulated at these levels, then who is going to buy it a higher prices?

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The Mint has been hedging its silver purchases for probably 10 years by now. The time frame far exceeds the huge swings in silver. The entire idea is to avoid exposure to the price swings of silver as the Mint is not engaging in speculative purchases of silver in order to support its bullion sales, as well as normal production. This all began when the Mint ran out of its huge silver stockpile a number of years ago and was lucky to have purchased quantities of silver when it was a rising market. The Finance folks realized this was a windfall, yet knew it could easily go in the other direction, the the decision to hedge their silver purchases to avoid both gains and losses due to holding quants of silver. It makes good sense and has been in place a long time. There is NO conspiracy, just good management to avoid the ups and downs of the silver market when the Mint uses large quantities of silver.

I was there when it was put in place and know the guy who suggested and designed it as well as the folks who approved it as making good sense in terms of avoiding big swings in silver prices. This all happened when silver was below $15 an ounce as I recall, with swings in both directions going on regularly.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If so much silver is being accumulated at these levels, then who is going to buy it a higher prices? >>

Someone who thinks it will go even higher? Or someone who is just starting out and can only get it at prices in effect at the time.
  • Options

<< <i>If so much silver is being accumulated at these levels, then who is going to buy it a higher prices? >>

I dunno! I just feel like a gambler at a casino, and if i just make one more trip to the ATM, I'm going to get lucky and "get out even" if I buy some more silver at lower prices!

• Options

<< <i>And in case and I'm sure no one or few get what I have identified in this quoted bloat of nonsense, maybe I'll point it out later and maybe I won't...

And of course being cryptive and unclear in what is said leaves room for interpretation on the writers part so when someone thinks they've figured out what has been said, the author can then put a new spin on things if the circumstances warrant such action, right. The ultimate way to leave the door open to later change ones mind tactic. Nicely done rt1. image

Me, I prefer to "talk right down to Earth, in a language here, can easliy understand" >>

Lol, actually it's so simple and factually correct and corroborated, that it's embarrassing...
    Now I know how roadrunner feels when he is trying to explain something to me...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

Someone who thinks it will go even higher? Or someone who is just starting out and can only get it at prices in effect at the time. >>

I understand that premise, but do you understand mine?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Someone who thinks it will go even higher? Or someone who is just starting out and can only get it at prices in effect at the time. >>

I understand that premise, but do you understand mine? >>

Who bought last time when silver got near 50? Possibly some who are buying now or lower will sell on the way up. There are always buyers and sellers. You can't have one without the other. Stackers and flippers too. Probably won't be the same ones who got burned with it before.
  • Options

When you see questions like this you know they don't make any sense. Every ounce of above ground silver is spoken for. There's an owner for every ounce, at every price level. Who is going to buy it at higher prices? I guess that might be the people who were waiting for $5/oz and never saw it. Who was going to buy silver at $4-$5 ounce in 1999-2001? Someone ended up with it. Who was going to buy the stock market at higher prices these last few years?

A finest known rare coin I had been tracking from 1975-1980 just ran away from me....I missed my window. It went up 16X in that period. Who was going to buy it at that peak? It ended up being one of the sharpest coin dealers/attorneys in the business. And they get whacked good as it dropped 68% over the next 6 years. Who was gonna buy it then? Me. Who was gonna buy it at higher prices? Gene Gardner for one. What might seem over-priced and having no future today, could be just the opposite. Who was gonna buy gold when it reached your target of $1175-$1200 back in 2009? Clearly, lots of people bought it....for the next 2 years. If silver moved back above $18 or even $20/oz from here I'd think a lot more people would consider buying it, especially those who missed out. Maybe some of that leveraged money in the stock market might find its way into commodities and PMs just like 2000-2001. If no one is ever willing to buy at higher prices, then the item goes to zero eventually. Some large entities are surely acquiring large amounts of physical silver at current prices. What's a better relative value, stocks at 2015 levels or silver at 2006 levels? It doesn't hurt any that the silver miners are losing money and cutting back...most have all-in costs in the $15-$22 range. 2015 should show a drop in annual world silver production as mines are cut back, put on maintenance, shuttered, etc.

GFMS was projecting higher silver prices in 2015-2016 back in May - clearly someone would have to buying at higher prices.
  • Options
    Market dynamics, not understood.

• Options

<< <i>Market dynamics, not understood. >>

Market dynamics didn't apply from 1980-2001?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Market dynamics, not understood. >>

Market dynamics didn't apply from 1980-2001? >>

And that is exactly what you are missing from my comment.image

• Options
    Market dynamics are not applicable when you have central banks (and bullion banks) that can overpower supply and demand for months or even years at a time.....unless you want to consider their highly leveraged paper games to be "actual" supply and demand. I would submit that true market dynamics started to erode in 1987/1988 with the president's ESF. And it left the building with Elvis with the advent of unregulated otc derivatives (and the dismantling of 1933-1934 banking laws) in 1999-2001. So the recent addition of Citibank's $50 BILL/3 yrs of world production in otc silver derivatives (and JPM's +$4 TRILL in general commodity derivs) are examples of "free market" supply and demand? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the $4 TRILL figure since it's 4X the highest value since the inception of commodity otc derivatives.....and a 17X increase from last quarter. What do you figure? $2 TRILL for energy, $1 TRILL on softs/grains, $999 BILL in base metals, and $1 BILL on chocolate chip cookies? Does a 17X quarterly increase in commodity derivatives to a 4X all time high where a single bank (JPM) owns 93% of the entire market sound like "market dynamics" (ie supply vs. demand) to you?

And that is exactly what you are missing from my comment.

I got it. Markets didn't apply from 1980-2001. Long vacation for the regulators. In any case that basically agrees with the above of "management of markets" from forces outside normal supply and demand via typical end users.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beef is up and drama sells paper.
  • Options
    Everything is manipulated or a conspiracy. image

Ugh.

• Options
    Think Apple. Who doesn't own it?

• Options

<< <i>Think Apple. Who doesn't own it? >>

an Apple product or the stock?...lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Who bought last time when silver got near 50?

Probably more than you think, but no one would ever admit to it at this point, would they?
    One dealer friend in particular of mine said he was the busiest he ever was when silver was $40 and rising.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who bought last time when silver got near 50?

Probably more than you think, but no one would ever admit to it at this point, would they?
    One dealer friend in particular of mine said he was the busiest he ever was when silver was $40 and rising. >>

I have $50 pandas essentially. I bought. I still have $5 delivered ASEs though too so....
  • Options

<< <i>Who bought last time when silver got near 50?

One dealer friend in particular of mine said he was the busiest he ever was when silver was $40 and rising. >>

A dealer can be busy as heck and not selling much in the retail space. A dealer friend of mine was very busy buying in the 2011 silver mania. And he was selling nearly everything to the smelter. If you check US Mint ASE sales when silver has been high in price, their sales volume tends to be way down....and just the opposite at low price extremes (ie Jan/July/Aug 2015).

US silver producer Hecla reports $26.8 MILL quarterly loss at average sales of $16.32/oz silver

Hecla would have needed at least $18.25/oz silver to break even this quarter if they sold all their 2nd qtr production. If you only include actual sales, they needed $20/oz. And they reported cash costs/net byproduct of $5.61oz....image
  • Options

<< <i>Think Apple. Who doesn't own it? >>

If you're talking the fruit, I own some all the time.....and eat them everyday.

If you're talking about Apple the company, I've never owned it. Never owned an Apple product of any sort. Zilch. Nada. I guess that makes me as rare as the guy who bought silver at $50/oz and still owns it all....lol. But, at least you found me. Now go find the (lone?) guy who owns silver at $50/oz. image

I suspect if I polled the people on my street I'd find at least 30% who "don't own Apple"....maybe even more. In Baleyville it might be closer to 00.44%. In Botswana may be 90%. I suspect over half the world doesn't own Apple.

At the end of 2013 only 14% of US families owned Apple stock. 30% owned cats.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Market dynamics are not applicable when you have central banks (and bullion banks) that can overpower supply and demand for months or even years at a time. >>

Post of the week. This is what many refuse to accept or simply do not understand. Any other market besides PM's and criminal charges would be in the news. If the Hunt brothers had been a government agency or acting on behalf of one, they would have died trillionaires.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar