Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nazi-era hoard of 217 gold coins found by detectorist in Germany

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    1 meter deep? good gosh!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all dream of finding a stash like this....I have no idea what the laws in Germany may be regarding such finds, but if I were to find such a hoard, here in the U.S., you can bet it would not be public knowledge. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We all dream of finding a stash like this....I have no idea what the laws in Germany may be regarding such finds, but if I were to find such a hoard, here in the U.S., you can bet it would not be public knowledge. Cheers, RickO >>

i know nothing is the best policy image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more in favor of the UK laws. These coins have a story to tell.. if I scoop them up and throw them on Ebay, the story gets lost.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    wonder what the "small finders fee" is.

I'm with RickO on this one... what hoard?
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wonder what the "small finders fee" is.

I'm with RickO on this one... what hoard? >>

I was wondering the same thing, is he going to get about 10 bucks? 100? 1,000??
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a cache hunter for years.... doing research, old cellar holes, rock walls, property markers etc.. No way would I divulge finds.... claims would come out of nowhere.... as far as I am concerned, I found it, it is mine. Now, if I were searching a 'permission' property, then things may be different.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been a cache hunter for years.... doing research, old cellar holes, rock walls, property markers etc.. No way would I divulge finds.... claims would come out of nowhere.... as far as I am concerned, I found it, it is mine. Now, if I were searching a 'permission' property, then things may be different.... Cheers, RickO >>

Walls and whatnot are a great place to look for things like that. I've found some B&W photos from the 1940s of the farm house I grew up in that predate my dad buying the place in 1952. Lots of old houses have nooks and crannies and loose floorboards that eat coins.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I return rings with names. Like others have said about hoards. What hoard. And I do tell people where I find my arrowheads either
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be my own worst enemy if I found a hoard like that. It would be nearly impossible for me to keep my mouth shut, with my childlike overexuberance being what it is. (Sure, I'd try, but you know I'd be bursting to post it all over these forums and Treasurenet, at the very least.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.