Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$1 million in gold from Spanish boats that shipwrecked 300 years ago

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, snap. Is that a royal strike in the middle of that picture?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Very high grade, apparently.
    The diving video is a little scary, watching the guy wipe the coins with his finger...

<< <i>A Florida family who has hunted treasure for years found more than $1 million worth of gold artifacts this summer from the wreckage of a 1715 Spanish fleet that sank in the Atlantic, according to a salvage company’s estimate.

The find included 51 gold coins of various denominations and 40 feet (12 meters) of ornate gold chain, said Brent Brisben, whose company, 1715 Fleet – Queens Jewels LLC, owns the rights to the wreckage.

The Schmitt family - parents Rick and Lisa and their two children and daughter-in-law - who hunt for treasure off their salvage vessel Aarrr Booty, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Brisben said Rick and Lisa's 27-year-old son, Eric, found and recovered the pieces in June.

Brisben said he timed the announcement to coincide with Friday’s 300th anniversary of the sinking of 11 galleons brought down by a hurricane off the coast of Florida as the convoy was sailing from Havana to Spain.

Eric Schmitt found the artifacts in 15 feet (4-1/2 meters) of water off Fort Pierce, approximately 130 miles (210 km) north of Miami.

The Spanish convoy’s manifests indicated the ships carried cargo valued today at about $400 million, of which $175 million has been recovered, Brisben said.

His company bought the rights to the site in 2010 from heirs of the legendary treasure hunter Mel Fisher and the firm allows others, including the Schmitts, to search under subcontract agreements.

The centerpiece of the Schmitt’s latest find is a perfect specimen of a coin called a royal made for Spain's King Phillip V and dated 1715. Only a few royals were known to exist, according to a news release from Brisben’s company.

The gold chains are made of small, handcrafted, two-sided links of six-petaled olive blossoms. They were called money chains and are believed to have been used as a tax-free coinage, the news release said.

Under federal and state law, Florida will take possession of up to 20 percent of the find for display in a state museum. Brisben’s company and the Schmitt family will split the reminder, Brisben said. >>

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/27/us-usa-florida-treasure-idUSKCN0Q128720150727
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a thrill such a find must be..... what kid never dreamed of finding buried treasure? Some of us still seek the proverbial 'pot of gold'...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a thrill such a find must be..... what kid never dreamed of finding buried treasure? Some of us still seek the proverbial 'pot of gold'...Cheers, RickO >>

+1 Ricko.

Cool!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool find, but you start with $1,000,000 and then the government steals 20% of that from you under the treasure laws or whatever
    and then they likely have to pay a boat load of taxes on the rest...and then considering the money they had to pay for the rights
    to salvage(subcontract agreements), all of the expenses associated with the discovery and recovery...I wonder how much they REALLY end up with.
    Almost seems sad in a way.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw that on the news last night. Wonder who cleaned the coins, and how they did it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 15 feet of water, even! Although, I tend to avoid anything deeper than a bathtub.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super image

Thanks for sharing!
    15 feet of water no less!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, snap. Is that a royal strike in the middle of that picture? >>

Good eye LordM image
    That's the $500k jewel
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.naplesnews.com/news/state/more-than-1m-in-gold-discovered-off-fort-pierce-from-1715-treasure-fleet_57930250

Kind of funny listening to him yell "Alright! Oh yeah!" underwater. >>

I believe that that film is a re-enactment, with coins placed back on the bottom to be found, as at one point he pokes into a fresh hole in the sand to pull out a coin while ignoring other coins in plain sight. They also appear to have been already cleaned.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a sight to be seen
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    When I was a teen I wanted so much to go to Florida and search for spanish treasure. Never did get it done. Best I have done is to flip a graded gold coin to get essentially free gold. Harder to do these days with falling gold prices.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depth of 15 feet? Wow, hard to believe it took this long to find, unless brought up higher by one or more of the big storms of the past century

As a recreational scuba diver, anything over about 90 feet gets tricky (have been below 150, briefly, with normal tanks and equipment, and it was trippy)

Neat find, must be really exciting once the wreck is located to go back for more..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so this thread is over a year old, and I stumbled across it again while looking in vain for something else with the absolutely useless new search feature, but I thought that picture in the OP alone rendered it worthy of a resurrection.

Wow. Dreamy stuff.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see it again, ... thanks LordM..... finding treasure - especially gold ..- is a dream most have had at one time or another....I still do... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    OK, so this thread is over a year old, and I stumbled across it again while looking in vain for something else with the absolutely useless new search feature, but I thought that picture in the OP alone rendered it worthy of a resurrection.

Wow. Dreamy stuff.

Threads of historical interest are always welcome for return as they are timeless. Assume I am one of many who missed this the first time around.

It would be interesting to learn though the status of these coins now a year later. Have any been offered for sale to the public? Did the State of Florida ever put on public display their 20%?

I still have a treasure coin that I personally purchased from Mel Fisher years ago when he was in my state on a promotional tour so it was of added interest to read of his connection to the more recently found treasure subject of this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file