Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you search 1950-1970's era Proof Sets??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
That's a silly question to ask because I know many of us here who do indeed search them. So I guess it was just an attention getter for the real question which is --- What is your favorite year to search??

Mine is 1968. It may sound like a strange choice but it has three very nice die varieties and the Half-Dollar and Nickel often come with really nice contrast and frost.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I search for 1964 sets to cherry pick AH Kennedy's.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question!

For me, 1960 - opportunities for cameos and CPG die varieties on every denomination.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question.

The most accurate answer I can give is that my favorite year is typically the year on the most recent cherry I pick. I like them all.

Each set of coins for each year have fascinating aspects to them. The variety is endless. The SMS years could keep a researcher, writer and collector busy for decades.
  • Options
    I also like the 1968 S proof sets with the 3 different dimes and 5 different quarters.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will concur-1968. But the 1960 is a very close second. Lots of potential goodies there, too.
  • Options

<< <i>I search for 1964 sets to cherry pick AH Kennedy's.....Cheers, RickO >>

1964 sets are really cool! I love 90% silver!!!! But I am confused I have to admit. What does AH mean? My favorite set to search is probably 2002. It was the year that my cat was born and while I don't really look for die varieties I just like to search for the CHOICE coins in these sets. I mean who doesn't love beautiful Sacagawea dollars, am I right???? +1...Cheers, RonO
  • Options

<< <i>I search for 1964 sets to cherry pick AH Kennedy's.....Cheers, RickO >>

+1 again! Just wanted to repeat my appreciation because this post is great! Cheers...RonO
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I search them all but 1960-1964 proof sets primarily ...not looking for cams, dcams or AHs...looking for TONERS for the most part!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1968 Proof Set also has a neat DDO Cent. A nice blow up of the Doubling is shown in the Heritage pics of the coin being auctioned off at the ANA (decent doubling on "In God We Trust"). I know the guy who "cherried it".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I search 65 - 67 primarily. Lots of cool stuff there, cameos are pretty rare and undervalued in my opinion. Plus there are lots of varieties to be had.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i could never narrow it down to one year

i always search 1965 first though...yes sometimes these are listed as being proof sets image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I rarely have searched for them ever since PCGS raised the modern fee from $12. 90% of them are stock photos anyway.

But I have this favorite link on my browser that I click on once in a while just to see.

The other day I saw this with 11 seconds left and made an impulse buy.
    It didn't take long for me to question why did I buy that?
    After I get it in hand I sure I be selling it back on the bay for $2. image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1964 sets are really cool! I love 90% silver!!!! But I am confused I have to admit. What does AH mean? >>

Ronny,
    AH means Accented Hair... a variety of the '64 Kennedy set...

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually don't see enough of the older proof sets at one time to make it worth
    the effort of cherry picking. I tend to go for mint sets and check proof sets as
    possible. The '65 and other SMS's are among my favorites to pick if there's any
    quantity.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Never have.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every chance I get, and almost exclusively.

My favorite year, that's a tough one. I enjoy the SMS years 1965-67 and also 1958 for some reason. Almost all of the years have been good to me at one point or another. If I can pick a range I'll probably say 1955-1959 are my favorites, mostly because I've had really good experiences with Jefferson's in that range that barely show cameo through the cellophane and then are just beautiful when they come out.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every chance I get- so many awesome varieties can be found.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file