Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Variety weekend- new dime varieties - fang mouth!--

tincuptincup Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been busy finding a few new (to me anyways) varieties and wondering what you dime guys (and the rest you also!) think of them. also, can use some help on the last one; it has an odd finish that I have no idea on what caused it.

This first one is a 1965 with a 'fanged mouth'; Ben Franklin is not the only ones with the clashed buck teeth. Looks like there are also some 'Franklin' Roosevelts out there also. Note the second fang also protruding upwards from the chin, and the strong die clashes at the eye and in front of the neck.

The pictures do not show this next one very well, but when in hand is quite drastic in its effect. The reverse of this 1966 has been so heavily polished that it is 'rimless'. A regular reverse is also shown for comparison. Note the extreme distance to the edge of the coin on 'AMERICA', it has a dished effect in person and almost appears to be similar to a token. Looks like they ground away nearly all parts of the rim. Note the other ground down features of the coin - leaves, torch flame, etc.

Not too spectacular but does have a rather prominent 'wart' on the cheek on this 1965:

Here is the one that I can use some help on. There seems to be an 'imprint' on this 1966 coin, both on obverse and reverse, giving what appears to be a regular pattern of very slightly raised lines, almost like cloth. There also appears to be some toning effect with it. Perhaps post mint damage, but... the imprint is also apparent in the fields between the letters, so it seems a good possibility that it came from the mint like this. But if so, I have no idea what could have caused it- the lines are too regular and evenly spaced for it to be die polishing. Not sure if it's related, but note the dot between AMERICA and DIME is nearly gone.

----- kj

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file