cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/23/us-jobless-idUSKCN0PX1EO20150723

Discuss. And keep in mind the workforce is 70% larger today. image
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly, this is bad news, right fellas?

Or a lie.

bayme moth?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jobless claims are nearly 100% from lay-offs. Lay-offs are low right now. Not much else to say.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Shrug.
  • Options
    No talk about participation rates? Thats good cuz most on here dont know what that rate means anyway. LOL

• Options

<< <i>Jobless claims are nearly 100% from lay-offs. Lay-offs are low right now. Not much else to say. >>

Maybe thats because of this...

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm

The number of job openings was little changed at 5.4 million on the last business day of May, the
    highest since the series began in December 2000

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the article you linked:

"This should reassure policymakers that their objective of maximum employment is coming closer into view," said John Ryding, chief economist at RDQ Economics in New York.Initial claims for state unemployment benefits fell 26,000 to a seasonally adjusted 255,000 for the week ended July 18, the lowest level since November 1973, the Labor Department said."

This somewhat skewed as nearly half of the unemployed have given up looking for jobs. I'm not sure of historical data to that regard.

mark

Edited as I forget to do a copy and paste
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>From the article you linked:

"This should reassure policymakers that their objective of maximum employment is coming closer into view," said John Ryding, chief economist at RDQ Economics in New York.Initial claims for state unemployment benefits fell 26,000 to a seasonally adjusted 255,000 for the week ended July 18, the lowest level since November 1973, the Labor Department said."

This somewhat skewed as nearly half of the unemployed have given up looking for jobs. I'm not sure of historical data to that regard.

mark

Edited as I forget to do a copy and paste >>

...lowest level since November of 1973...

That's a scary thought too. Right as we headed into a deep recession.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,

If you are not actively looking... 94 million

OR

Have been moved to the disability rolls 11 million

Then you aren't unemployed are you?
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Well,

If you are not actively looking... 94 million

OR

Have been moved to the disability rolls 11 million

Then you aren't unemployed are you? >>

The lowest unemployment rate is for people 55 and up. 20 to 24 year-olds are unemployed at 10.0%. That is not great. Real wages have been stagnant for years. Add all this up. Less then awesome. With economic growth crawling at 2.0% you aren't going going to grow your way out of this anytime soon. The numbers you stated as well as the ones I just outlined are part of the reason the Fed has been reluctant to raise rates.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Golly, all of those 20+ hour a week(thanks to OC), part time jobs sure are fantastic news. Heck, if a person has two of those, and toss in some welfare, maybe they can scrounge and get by.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Twain was credited with saying "figures don't lie but liars figure".

That most likely applies here.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark Twain was credited with saying "figures don't lie but liars figure".

That most likely applies here. >>

I'd say old Mark Twain was a pretty wise man. image
  • Options
    That's all you can say, it's a lie? Lol

• Options
    I know a guy who can't find work, therefore the aggregate statistics cited for the whole United States must be false, right fellas?

Edit: Of course, the guy is a bit of a chump, so that might have something to do with it. image

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's from the BLS it must be true. image (Bureau of Laughable Statistics).

It's probably been since 1980-1983 since their statistics were linked to the real world. Once they made the leap to "imputed" rents in the early 1980's CPI, it was game over.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/23/us-jobless-idUSKCN0PX1EO20150723

Discuss. And keep in mind the workforce is 70% larger today. image >>

More carbohydrates, less physical activity or a combination of both ? image
  • Options
    Roadrunner, the way you always harp back to the 70s with tales of coinalot, some might argue that that was the last time you were linked to the real world. Haha image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the figure may be accurate... it is misleading. However, the mass uninformed think it is a good sign. Because they do not realize that overall employment is at a historic low right now, and this figure has nothing to do with the total unemployed. Sad... but they vote... and that is really sad. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Ricko, there are more people working full time today than ever in the history of the US.

• Options

<< <i>Ricko, there are more people working full time today than ever in the history of the US. >>

And it's a good thing since people are living longer, retirement age has gone up, population has increased every year since 1918 and there are 100 million more people then there was in 1975.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ricko, there are more people working full time today than ever in the history of the US. >>

And it's a good thing since people are living longer, retirement age has gone up, population has increased every year since 1918 and there are 100 million more people then there was in 1975.

mark >>

Right! and Yay America!

um, wait, should I be saying Boo America?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

mark >>

Right! and Yay America!

um, wait, should I be saying Boo America? >>

It is what it is. It's a very cool place to live warts and all

Mark
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

The percentages are worse. The bigger number over here hides the real stat math number over there. Changing the formula does not negate the old one, just the flavor you want to drink to quench your thirst.
  • Options

<< <i>Golly, all of those 20+ hour a week(thanks to OC), part time jobs sure are fantastic news. Heck, if a person has two of those, and toss in some welfare, maybe they can scrounge and get by. >>

SultanofSwat we are very lucky to have you join in May since we lost StanTheMan around April. What a stroke of luck that another HOFer replaces Stan. I'm a Willie Mays fan myself

Mark

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Roadrunner, the way you always harp back to the 70s with tales of coinalot, some might argue that that was the last time you were linked to the real world. Haha image >>

The BLS is still making adjustments where the joke is on all of us. It's just that they started in 1983, picked up steam in the Clinton years, continued in the Bush 2 years, and are pushing for the home stretch in the Obama years.

Rather than coinalot.....this is screwalot.....and still going on today, if you only got out from behind that green curtain and took a look. image

Ricko, there are more people working full time today than ever in the history of the US.

Actually, there are also more people working part time today than at any time in history. And since the definition of "full time" employment has been tweaked lower, and benefits reduced, I'm not surprised those numbers are higher.
    How many hours qualifies for full time employment today?

As passed and signed into law, the ACA changed the definition of a full-time employee from someone who works the traditional 40-hour workweek to anyone who works 30 hours a week.Mar 6, 2015

Ha, ha, ha. Cohodk ought to run for president. He talks just like a politician. image .........20 hour "official work week" here we come.

Between your domestic TV production research and now full time employment logic....you sure have a strange way of providing "proof." You seen to be your own worst enemy with examples that never seem to fail to blow holes through your statements. Trump has nothing on you.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    What the heck is this thread about? It ought to be a class 3 felony to start a thread with a linkimage

Employed?, unemployed?, ALTS!!! image or MR. 24 HIMSELF.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>What the heck is this thread about? It ought to be a class 3 felony to start a thread with a linkimage

Employed?, unemployed?, ALTS!!! image or MR. 24 HIMSELF. >>

Dave knew what he was doingimage

Let me add this. GDP is running at 1.8% for 2015. That is anemic. Unemployement is running at 5.3 percent. Core inflation is at a modest 2.0%. These numbers are projected by the Fed to basically stay like this for the next several years. What Bets do you place on this?

Mark
  • Options
    Roadrunner, I am citing a 35 hour work week as fulltime. There are 1 million more working at least 35 hour weeks than in 2007 which was the previous peak.

If I am elected president I will name you czar of misinformation. I think you will excel.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What the heck is this thread about? It ought to be a class 3 felony to start a thread with a linkimage

Let me add this. GDP is running at 1.8% for 2015. That is anemic. Unemployement is running at 5.3 percent. Core inflation is at a modest 2.0%. These numbers are projected by the Fed to basically stay like this for the next several years. What Bets do you place on this?

Mark >>

Just as expected given demographics. Is the economy not better than on 2009, or 2001, 1994?

Funny would be the complaining about too much growth and the resultant inflation. Lol. Patience people, it will come. Actually it's already started. image

• Options
    The BLS is still making adjustments where the joke is on all of us

Now that baleyville northern outpost has been established, BLM is more of a concern than BLS

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mark >>

Just as expected given demographics. Is the economy not better than on 2009, or 2001, 1994?

Funny would be the complaining about too much growth and the resultant inflation. Lol. Patience people, it will come. Actually it's already started. image >>

Yes, the economy is better then it those stated years but I would say it's stalling and likely to remain that way. Actually it's already stalled. With China's also economy stalling there is legitimate concern.

This is the best they could get the economy WITH props. Without props how is that going to play out?

Mark
  • Options

That's the biggest bunch of bologna spin I have ever heard. There would literally be soup lines for as far as the eye could see if not for the huge increase of welfare benefits that hide those lines behind closed doors these days.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Roadrunner, I am citing a 35 hour work week as fulltime. There are 1 million more working at least 35 hour weeks than in 2007 which was the previous peak.

If I am elected president I will name you czar of misinformation. I think you will excel. >>

You'll do a better job.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mark >>

Funny would be the complaining about too much growth and the resultant inflation. Lol. Patience people, it will come. Actually it's already started. image >>

Yes, the economy is better then it those stated years but I would say it's stalling and likely to remain that way. Actually it's already stalled. With China's also economy stalling there is legitimate concern.

This is the best they could get the economy WITH props. Without props how is that going to play out?

Mark >>

Same as it always does.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Roadrunner, I am citing a 35 hour work week as fulltime. There are 1 million more working at least 35 hour weeks than in 2007 which was the previous peak.

If I am elected president I will name you czar of misinformation. I think you will excel. >>

You'll do a better job. >>

I'm already president. image

• Options

<< <i>

That's the biggest bunch of bologna spin I have ever heard. There would literally be soup lines for as far as the eye could see if not for the huge increase of welfare benefits that hide those lines behind closed doors these days. >>

And you have proven your ignorance. Congrats. The stats are readily available.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mark >>

Mark >>

Same as it always does. >>

That is true

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's the biggest bunch of bologna spin I have ever heard. There would literally be soup lines for as far as the eye could see if not for the huge increase of welfare benefits that hide those lines behind closed doors these days. >>

And you have proven your ignorance. Congrats. The stats are readily available. >>

I love how some homer on the internet calls others ignorant because they have enough sense to see the spin being put out is pure bull. You can't make this stuff up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

And you have proven your ignorance. Congrats. The stats are readily available. >>

I love how some homer on the internet calls others ignorant because they have enough sense to see the spin being put out is pure bull. You can't make this stuff up. >>

I'm still waiting to see how things go without props. Not sure I'll live that long but you never know....

• Options

<< <i>That's all you can say, it's a lie? Lol >>

Of course it's a lie.
    PCGS
  • Options

mark >>

Really, lol. I've seen some of these older farts. Some may be living but Holy Toledo, it's not pretty.

The 47% are taking the country down. They're the ants in the ant hill that don't want to or can't figure out how to function.

We were all born ignorant but it takes a lot of effort to remain stupid your entire life.

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I love how some homer on the internet calls others ignorant because they have enough sense to see the spin being put out is pure bull. You can't make this stuff up. >>

I've often called Dave a homer but being one doesn't automatically make him wrong. He's been right before. I've actually seen it with my own eyesimage

mark
  • Options

<< <i>And it's a good thing since people are living longer, retirement age has gone up, population has increased every year since 1918 and there are 100 million more people then there was in 1975.

mark >>

Really, lol. I've seen some of these older farts. Some may be living but Holy Toledo, it's not pretty.

The 47% are taking the country down. They're the ants in the ant hill that don't want to or can't figure out how to function.

We were all born ignorant but it takes a lot of effort to remain stupid your entire life. >>

I hear you

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I've often called Dave a homer but being one doesn't automatically make him wrong. He's been right before. I've actually seen it with my own eyesimage

mark >>

Since when do we get the truth from the people running the show anymore? Come on, brother.
  • Options
    MJ,

I've recently noticed we have some illegal aliens who jumped the fence from the sports argument forum over to here and brought their alts with them.

You, My Man, are henceforth in charge of discipline.

Edit: this is a precious metal forum. Sometimes people forget.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>MJ,

I've recently noticed we have some illegal aliens who jumped the fence from the sports argument forum over to here and brought their alts with them.

Edit: this is a precious metal forum. Sometimes people forget. >>

Sir, when I signed up for this forum some time back, I didn't think you had to stay in one section or the other. Especially, when all of the stuff on the Collectors Universe forum interests a member.

This conspiracy theory by some of the older members that all newer members are alts is stupid and uncalled for in my opinion. Weren't you guys new here yourselves at one time? How would you have felt if the old guard had treated you the way you all do newer members when you first came aboard?

I will be the first to admit I don't understand the PM market, but I am interested in reading, learning, and participating in this forum along with the rest of the members who post here. I hope some can be open minded enough to accept you don't have to be placed in a certain box to participate on this forum. I know some of you sure don't make newer members feel all that welcome. I wish that wasn't the case.
  • Options
    "How would you have felt if the old guard had treated you the way you all do newer members when you first came aboard?"

They did.image

Confucious say man born with two ears and one mouth should listen twice as much as talk.

It's a precious metal forum.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>"How would you have felt if the old guard had treated you the way you all do newer members when you first came aboard?"

They did.image

Confucious say man born with two ears and one mouth should listen twice as much as talk.

It's a precious metal forum. >>

So, if someone is a jerk to you, you repeat the behavior towards others? This reminds me of high school where upper classmen thought their stuff didn't stink and they had the right to pick on freshman. Two wrongs doesn't make a right. That's a very flawed mentality in my opinion.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ,

Edit: this is a precious metal forum. Sometimes people forget. >>

Come on join the party
    Dress to kill
    Won't you come and join the party
    Dress to kill.

The drinks flow
    People forget
    That big wheel spins, the hair thins
    People forget
    Forget they're hiding
    The news slows
    People forget
    The shares crash, hopes are dashed
    People forget
    Forget they're hiding.

Behind an eminence front
    Eminence front - it's a put on
    Come on join the party...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    People are free to say what they like. However if those words are based on misinformation, prejudice, fear, ignorance, contempt, ect, be prepared to be called out. If you can't handle that then listen to Streeter, and open your ears and close your mouth.