Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Probstein's Joe Montana PSA 10 rookie and competitive eating contest at the national

Obviously a very nice prize with a Joe Montana PSA 10 rookie, but the competitive eating contest of a bunch of chocolate for a $1000 sounds like a nightmare for a diabetic.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd give it shot but there's no way I can make this year.

link
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I would win the chocolate eating contest. No doubt in my mind. Hopefully they have it when the National is on the east coast next year...I'll play!
  • Options
    ...that 10 has some soft corners.

What does this card typically sell for?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would win the chocolate eating contest. No doubt in my mind. >>

You're going to be competing against five girls that were just dumped by their boyfriends. My money is on one of them lol!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would win the chocolate eating contest. No doubt in my mind. >>

You're going to be competing against five girls that were just dumped by their boyfriends. My money is on one of them lol! >>

lol!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...that 10 has some soft corners.

What does this card typically sell for? >>

Between $12,000 and $15,000.

Interesting gimmick. This particular card effectively sells for approximately $16,500 once you subtract the $1,000 cash prize, roughly $2,000+ or so in consolation prizes for 174 people, and 25 boxes of chocolate. Probstein ends up getting a huge advertising slot by holding this as a stage event.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will only be two out of the 200 that will come out of this as a winner and one of those will be sick for the rest of the weekend. 24 of the other 198 will get a box of chocolate and the rest will get $10 to $25 in junk cards. I don't like those odds.
    James
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how to post the popcorn emoticon but if someone could post a preemptive one for me, that would be great.
  • Options

I wonder what happens if they don't sell out all 200 boxes?

Will the consigner shill by purchasing $100 raffle tix to their own item? image

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Can this really be considered a "live break" when he already knows what the boxes all contain? I always thought that live breaks were from unopened boxes. I could be wrong.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

"There will only be two out of the 200 that will come out of this as a winner and one of those will be sick for the rest of the weekend"

Now that's funny. But seriously can't eating this much sugar literally kill some people?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

Interesting gimmick. This particular card effectively sells for approximately $16,500 once you subtract the $1,000 cash prize, roughly $2,000+ or so in consolation prizes for 174 people, and 25 boxes of chocolate. Probstein ends up getting a huge advertising slot by holding this as a stage event. >>

Yet another reason why I will continue to give PWCC my business.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Can this really be considered a "live break" when he already knows what the boxes all contain? I always thought that live breaks were from unopened boxes. I could be wrong.

The live break may be referring to the competitive eating portion of the contest.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Why do I have contest images from the movie "Stand By Me" in my head now?

"Yes, Vern. The contestants did have to pay $100 to enter the contest."

"Great story, Gordie!"
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Is this type of listing not against eBay rules?
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Typically, yes, chance listings are against ebay auction rules. That was my first thought then I read the description. He's getting around this by giving a "box" with the purchase. The receipt of said box is not chance.

It's the same as receiving a top loader in a pick your team box/case rip online and getting the items for that team as a bonus.

I do think his title does go against e-bay rules, though. Don't think it should not say "Win a chance..". EBay may have a problem with that. But this is no different than anything the case breakers are doing.

Justin
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Interesting gimmick. This particular card effectively sells for approximately $16,500 once you subtract the $1,000 cash prize, roughly $2,000+ or so in consolation prizes for 174 people, and 25 boxes of chocolate. Probstein ends up getting a huge advertising slot by holding this as a stage event. >>

Yet another reason why I will continue to give PWCC my business. >>

This. Seems like an act of desperation by Prober. He's an action consignor, right?
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

<< <i>will let you take your pick, reggie:

or:

image >>

Haven't seen these before, classic. Nice work!
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Definitely going Hader.
  • Options
    edited for ya!
  • Options
    WTF is the point of the chocolate eating contest?
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WTF is the point of the chocolate eating contest? >>

I can't figure out one. It's pretty lame, and I want to puke just thinking about it. Binge eating chocolate? No thank you..especially being that it's in the July heat and such..turrible just turrible lmao.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Those odds stink. I am not sure how winning an entrance in a chocolate eating contest is something people really would want to do in the first place?
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, what makes Probstein think he can just try to have fun and give away prizes?! He surely has sinister intentions.

I'm sure glad to have the CU board to turn to at times like these.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, what makes Probstein think he can just try to have fun and give away prizes?! He surely has sinister intentions.

I'm sure glad to have the CU board to turn to at times like these. >>

He's not giving anything away.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    How long before ebay shuts it down? Enter your guess here - the person who guesses the closest wins a box of chocolate. image

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

We don't allow listings that sell an opportunity to win an item or prize either by chance or in connection with a skill contest.

Specifically, we don't allow listings that promote giveaways, lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles, contests, or prizes. These types of promotions are highly regulated and may be unlawful in many states.

We may run such promotions on eBay sites, and we may allow our partners or third-party companies to run promotions that follow applicable laws.

The guidelines below are intended to provide guidance, and should not be viewed as an exhaustive list.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
  • Options
    My guess is that it doesn't get shut down.
  • Options
    ok, i gave everybody ample time. no one went for it so....

i anxiously await for someone to use the "negative white space" for a clever probstein joke

gimme your best!!
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time this particular card sold?
  • Options

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, when was the last time this particular card sold? >>

Probstein supposedly sold this very card on June 23, 2015 for $12,202.00. Now, it appears again for this latest publicity stunt.

• Options
    I'm shocked -- SHOCKED, I say -- to find out there's gambling going on in this establishment.
  • Options

<< <i>How long before ebay shuts it down? Enter your guess here - the person who guesses the closest wins a box of chocolate. image

q]

So anyone reporting this to eBay? As of right now 17 sold that is at least $1530 for PROBSTEIN123 & he doesn't have to ship anything.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I'm willing to bet he's pissed he did this..jumping the shark by trying to be cute..the chocolate eating contest could be the single worst idea I've heard in a long time..should have consulted with, hmmmmm...anyone. Hilarious responses.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

<< <i>ok, i gave everybody ample time. no one went for it so....

i anxiously await for someone to use the "negative white space" for a clever probstein joke

gimme your best!! >>

Centered?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Are the boxes of chocolate FASC?
  • Options
    Ahoy. th' eatin' chocolate be dirty 'n bad fer me teeth. I'd like to get me hands on that wes specimen laddie fer such an idea.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the boxes of chocolate FASC? >>

Lol
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

<< <i>How long before ebay shuts it down? Enter your guess here - the person who guesses the closest wins a box of chocolate. image

We don't allow listings that sell an opportunity to win an item or prize either by chance or in connection with a skill contest.

Specifically, we don't allow listings that promote giveaways, lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles, contests, or prizes. These types of promotions are highly regulated and may be unlawful in many states.

We may run such promotions on eBay sites, and we may allow our partners or third-party companies to run promotions that follow applicable laws.

The guidelines below are intended to provide guidance, and should not be viewed as an exhaustive list.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account. >>

Just curious, as I am neither pro nor con Probstein, how is it that the listing hasn't been pulled yet? The text clearly expresses that it is an opportunity to win an item by chance, while even using the specific word "chance", and also includes an additional skill contest with the whole chocolate box eating thing. It would be difficult to find a more blatant example of an ebay listing policy violation, yet this one persists. Different rules for different people? Or have they just not gotten around to pulling it yet? Obviously neither the first nor last instance of ebay selectively enforcing vs. ignoring their policies, but this "item" does seem to raise a few questions...

• Options

<< <i>

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account. >>

Just curious, as I am neither pro nor con Probstein, how is it that the listing hasn't been pulled yet? The text clearly expresses that it is an opportunity to win an item by chance, while even using the specific word "chance", and also includes an additional skill contest with the whole chocolate box eating thing. It would be difficult to find a more blatant example of an ebay listing policy violation, yet this one persists. Different rules for different people? Or have they just not gotten around to pulling it yet? Obviously neither the first nor last instance of ebay selectively enforcing vs. ignoring their policies, but this "item" does seem to raise a few questions... >>

The fact that every person who buys the chance to win the Montana gets a box of chocolates and 10 or 15 bucks worth of cards gets around any listing violation. I think.
  • Options
    The online box breakers have a similar issue. The get around it via a legal technicality (that might not really be a technicality, but eBay allows it): the buyer gets a guaranteed item, i.e. a "link" to a YouTube video. There, when they watch that link, they also win all the players from a box from a certain team (subject, of course, to chance). That second part, which is obviously what people are actually paying for, is incidental to the purchase according to the language of most eBay listings of that ilk.
  • Options
    Same thing is done with Topps Bunt digital cards. Seller is "selling" a paperclip (local pickup only) and as a bonus the buyer gets so-and-so digital card.

I'd be leery of anyone looking to arrange pickup plans for the paperclip though.
  • Options

<< <i>Are the boxes of chocolate FASC? >>

This!
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

<< <i>The online box breakers have a similar issue. The get around it via a legal technicality (that might not really be a technicality, but eBay allows it): the buyer gets a guaranteed item, i.e. a "link" to a YouTube video. There, when they watch that link, they also win all the players from a box from a certain team (subject, of course, to chance). That second part, which is obviously what people are actually paying for, is incidental to the purchase according to the language of most eBay listings of that ilk. >>

Interesting, got it, thanks.

As for the paper clip example, I guess it is a bit like the ticket scalpers outside stadiums who are selling you a pen and happen to give you free tickets with your purchase.
  • Options
    I am getting ready to order the chocolate....

how many pieces is a good number ? 20 ? 25 ?

LMK your thoughts....

thanks
    rick
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I am getting ready to order the chocolate....

LMK your thoughts....

thanks
    rick >>

It depends on which format of eating contest you are using:

- Fixed amount of chocolate and the winner is whomever eats that amount first; or,
    - Fixed amount of time and the winner is whomever eats the most pieces of chocolate in that time.

How much time was the actually eating time expected to take?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather see a vintage set break where people purchase slots and they draw the cards at the Natty. At least that way everyone wins something they want.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Looks like this auction was ended. Rick, was that at eBay's request or just your decision?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>I am getting ready to order the chocolate....

LMK your thoughts....

thanks
    rick >>

LOL Classic!

Arthur