Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Oversized Holder

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat! Didn't know PCGS graded those. Cool to have one of each variety w/ consecutive serial numbers too.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's interesting about Techeff's medals, other than the fact that they're pretty cool and are more than 4 ounces of silver each, is that these pieces represent the end of an error and its subsequent correction in numerical serial number order. The medals edge-numbered through 1043 have the spelling error of the island of Niihau. The error can be seen as “NII HAU” (space inserted between NII and HAU). Medals numbered 1044 and up are corrected as one word "NIIHAU".

This silver Hawaii Statehood Medal is attributed as: Medcalf and Russell 2MS-2a (Hawaiian Money: Standard Catalog Second Edition, 1991, page 100).

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Thanks Weiss! Nice catch on the error/correction.

I emailed PCGS in late May and asked if they graded these. Before I got a response I mailed the medals in anyway. I got an email response around the middle of June saying that they did not grade/encapsulate these. A week later they were graded and shipped back to me. Looks like I got lucky with the "new" oversized holder.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are beautiful medals... I will watch for them... Cheers, RickO
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not think they graded medals either...just goes to show ya.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pair of medals Techeff!

The pair now defines the percentage of error vs. non-error for Hawaii medal collectors.

NII HAU error: 1043/3000 = ~34.77%

NIIHAU correct: 1956/3000 = ~65.2%

Not sure if PCGS will grade progression sets of the Hawaii Statehood medals...Bronze 3rd strike-Official Hawaii Statehood Progression Set
  • Thanks DrDarryl. And for the related article on your website: http://thehawaiiananumismatist.com/

<< <i>Great pair of medals Techeff!

The pair now defines the percentage of error vs. non-error for Hawaii medal collectors.

NIIHAU correct: 1956/3000 = ~65.2% >>

That assumes you can know with certainty that they medals were numbered in the order they were struck. I'm sure there are other possibilities. If they were individually numbered in a separate step, which I would guess to be the case, it's very possible (and likely) that pieces could have been numbered in a different order than the striking order.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I like the big stuff....

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>

<< <i>Great pair of medals Techeff!

NIIHAU correct: 1956/3000 = ~65.2% >>

That assumes you can know with certainty that they medals were numbered in the order they were struck. I'm sure there are other possibilities. If they were individually numbered in a separate step, which I would guess to be the case, it's very possible (and likely) that pieces could have been numbered in a different order than the striking order. >>

Back in 2011, I predicted the transition number would be between 1023 and 1266. See my presentation from 2011.

Apparently, my prediction right.

My survey of roughly 30 silver medals fell into two groupings:
    a) <=1023 reflected error spelling of NII HAU
    b) >=1024 reflected correct spelling of NIIHAU.

DrDarryl's 2011 Prediction for the Hawaii Statehood Silver Medal

<< <i>

Back in 2011, I predicted the transition number would be between 1023 and 1266. See my presentation from 2011.

Apparently, my prediction right.

My survey of roughly 30 silver medals fell into two groupings:
    a) <=1023 reflected error spelling of NII HAU
    b) >=1024 reflected correct spelling of NIIHAU.

DrDarryl's 2011 Prediction for the Hawaii Statehood Silver Medal >>

Neat information, thanks for the link... don't know what number my Hawaii medals are as all of them are in capital plastic holders and have never took them out image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file