Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Continental Dollar Struck in Europe - NN Article...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Franklin was also known as the first "Lord of the Rings," too.

THE TAX ... SHALL NOT ... PASSSSSSS!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt Franklin put N. Yorke in the New York ring.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or spelled Pennsylvania "PENNSILV" - odd how those mistakes only show up on the metal versions.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

"One ringy-dingy! Two ringy-dingies!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

It's actually sort of astonishing that anyone bought into the "dollar struck by congress" fairytale, when you think about it.

• Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    It's actually sort of astonishing that anyone bought into the "dollar struck by congress" fairytale, when you think about it.

An object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. It was considered such a long-held truth that nobody thought to treat it with a critical eye, but I am very happy that this research was performed, and so comprehensively.

• Options

An object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. It was considered such a long-held truth that nobody thought to treat it with a critical eye, but I am very happy that this research was performed, and so comprehensively.

There is actually a lot more information coming on the subject. I'm in awe of the fact that nobody questioned the complete lack of evidence for the theory back in the 1950s, particularly when you realize that Damon Douglas had uncovered the Du Simitiere comments on the medals back in 1948.

Of course, nobody has ever publicly pointed out the absurdity of identifying the gold 1792 Washington President/Large Eagle pattern as Washington's pocket piece. This, despite the fact that Washington was known to have found his image on coins to be offensive. The fact that the coin never appeared on the list of Washington's property after his death was also conveniently ignored.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stories abound in numismatics. Why, did you know that Abraham Lincoln's twin brother used a 1913 Liberty nickel to buy a dish of ice cream for his fat mistress, Stella???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Stories abound in numismatics. Why, did you know that Abraham Lincoln's twin brother used a 1913 Liberty nickel to buy a dish of ice cream for his fat mistress, Stella???

Breen and Newman must have worked together on that one.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    I'm reasonably certain that Bishop Watson's commentary on the C$1s originated with the "European Magazine" item from 1786 that compares the Continental Dollar to siege pieces and suggests that Congress struck it (before identifying the 1785 Constellatio Nova copper as a Congressional issue, as well).

Or he could have actually seen one, and assumed that Congress struck it because that's what the coin says, more or less.

Of course it's interesting that in 1788 a writer in Connecticut had no idea that the coins actually existed.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file