Home Precious Metals

S.F. Mint bar... what is this?

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone. A dealer friend just acquired this and neither one of us knows squat about collectible bars, so we're looking for information and advice... anything will be more than we currently have. Rarity and value guesses would be especially appreciated. No weight is stamped on the bar, which we both find interesting. According to a digital scale it is 6.707 troy ounces. Hope these photos are enough to go on. Sorry, but I forgot to shoot one of the ends. The bar is across town and it's 103 today, so I'm staying put.

Thanks in advance!

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I know nothing about this. Except what Google tells me... it's a Type III and the smaller bars (5oz) typically sell in the $800-$1200 range. (That was quoted from 2004). I see type I selling on ebay for $2k+
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is an unusual silver bar... I like the mint emblem... This probably has significant collector value, otherwise I would be interested. Cheers, RickO
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are cute and very collectible, but the values are very speculative. Prudence is advised.

I used to own a 49+ oz. gold bar from the Philadelphia Mint with my birth year on it.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.