Home U.S. Coin Forum

Monday Coin Shop Visit! Smurfy Toning! 6 Mint State Roosies for $18

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I visited a different coin shop on Monday morning. I had not been to this shop for a couple of years.
I looked through a couple of boxes worth of Mercury Dimes. I did find a 1937-S DDO FS-101 but it was
AU-58 with a bad hit on the neck and they insisted it was MS63. Whatever, I can't win them all. I let them
keep it. It would have been an okay Cherrypick if it was actually MS63 and the price was lower. image

After striking out with the Mercs, I searched a couple dozen Mint Sets from the 1960s and 1970s. Nothing.
I then looked at about a dozen 1950s Proof Sets. Nothing.
Then I asked if they had anything that was toned. He said not really but went to look around. He came back with
a tan colored album page full of Roosevelt Dimes. He said there were a couple in there that had some toning if
I wanted to take a look. I looked and I bought all 6 of the ones with toning at $3 each.

I photographed them really quick in the afternoon but wasn't very happy with the images since I was kinda rushed.
Tonight, I went back to it and I am glad I did. I think the photos came out pretty nice although trying to get color,
luster, preventing overexposure in spots and preventing underexposure in spots....UGH, something doesn't work
out sometimes. For the most part, the coins are BRIGHT WHITE IN MOST AREAS....except for where there is BLUE!
They may not exactly be Smurftacular but I do think they are pretty cool.

Let me know what you think. Thanks! image

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice grab on these.

They all have nice lustre and subtle color.

I think they are all MS-66 with maybe one or two 67.

I don't really see any of them as FB, maybe one if it's a good day.
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are sweet. You can certainly be proud to own those at $3 per!!

I can't choose if I like the 52 or 59 more, that 52 really pops with the light gold/orange tone and what appears to be a snow white Roos.

Jeff
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    some sweet looking examples there for the price
    luster really is popping on them

definitely a band of smurfy brothers out of the same album....as their toning is a match
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 66's probably. The 52 and 60 may 67.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like them all. it's great when you walk out of a coin store with an unexpected purchase. nice picks!
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are on a roll with these low cost toners. That is the goal of my raw Jefferson set and I imagine you are having as much fun with these as I am with mine.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely a band of smurfy brothers out of the same album....as their toning is a match >>

I was thinking the same thing.

Those are quite beautiful dimes.

Later, Paul.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, thanks everyone. I found 4 more cool coins today at different shops. image
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, very nice haul. That '52 by itself is worth more than you paid for the lot.

• deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    nice group of coins !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file