Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many collectors here have children that collect?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
Many threads on these boards talk about passing coins on to the next generation and the future of the hobby.

Of all the collectors here that have children and grandchildren, how many collect vs. don't collect?

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My newly minted teen collects. Not as active as he was, but still a little. Other things have bumped some of his time.
    That said, there are some sets that are HIS (that we work on together....silver roosies, birthyear set, etc) and some that are really me doing for my enjoyment that he is in on from the periphery (learning but out of his budget).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My youngest son collects football cards,,,

mostly Andrew Luck,,,,,,

he does real well submitting them for grading,,,,,

makes a father proud,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My eldest son is 35 this year and had collected old coins and currency a few years ago, then sold off his collection. Now he has been bitten by the bug again. It is nice to have him back as a fellow collector and we talk coins often.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is starting and has an interest. She is 10 and I have been hauling her and and my son to coin shows for years. image

I have even bought a couple of types of coins that my daughter has shown interest in to help grow her interest.
    I am taking my kids to a 125 table show on Friday. image They are awesome for me at shows.
    I may or may not take them to Summer FUN...not sure yet.

I even took my daughter to Winter FUN 2014, including the lot viewing so she could hold the Brasher Doubloon, 1913 Nickel,
    1792 H10 and a bunch of other really really cool toys! Took her picture holding some of these great coins so that it may
    be remembered always.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next door neighbors son has received a collectible coin from me every year for his Bday and Christmas since he was 4. He's now 16 and the bug hasn't bitten him. But, I'm not done.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son, 19, collects mostly from circulation. He once found a BU 64 Kennedy lying in a parking lot. The thing is gem or better. Go figure.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Judging by the way my 2-year-old handles and cares for his toys, I can tell you he's a future collector of something. And since he seems to love everything I love, likely numismatics. Here's some of my evidence:

- Every morning he chooses some trains and/or cars and trucks to accompany him throughout the day. They always match in color (all green, or all yellow, or all red) and he never lets them out of his sight. Usually the best car is in his hand at all times, even when he climbs or falls down, he never lets go. Just lands on his fist.

- Every toy on his train table has a specific place where it belongs. This may change from time to time, but he is very particular about where everything goes. If I move a train car, or send it down a track in the wrong direction, he will correct the issue immediately.

- Books get similar treatment. All his books appear to be scattered randomly on the shelf yet he knows where each one is located at all times.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    my son has picked thru my collection to the point that his is better than mine ....he got some sweet deals along the way...as he reminds me from time to time image
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My youngest has collected since she was about 2, she is now 11 and still loves money in all it's forms. The rest of the kids collected for a year or so and stopped and sold the stuff off.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    last thing my kids care about....is coins
    i did school them on how to proceed with sales should i expire though
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of my children or grand children are interested in coins....one nephew is interested in coins... Cheers, RickO
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    10 year old daughter had interest last winter, but it may have faded.

I brought some well worn, raw coins to a party where teens were also there.
    I gave out V nickels, Indian head cents for them to keep.
    They did seem interested, never saw them before.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Mine only collects what she can spend.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My kids have no interest.

They may show some polite interest at times when I want to show somebody something.
    I'm on a hobby island. ZERO collecting friends.

I've had them tag along to shops and auctions. They were treated very well.
    One auctioneer goes around and passes out $20 to any kid under 16 to use to bid with.

I've given them albums and bags of Wheat Cents but nothing stuck.

It's really ok with me. Can't force that kind of thing.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe 8 years ago:

last week:

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Barndog:

Those aren't half dimes. Don't tell me she has branched out.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe 8 years ago:

last week:

image >>

image Cherish those photos. I know I cherish the photos of my daughter with coins.
    They will be wonderful images to look at many years from now. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • NapNap Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is not interested... but she is only 2 months old image
  • NapNap Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete double post
  • mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    My oldest son still collects at age 39. At one time, he worked at U.S. Coin and Jewelry in Houston, Texas. He collects MS 64 3cs, silver dollars and some gold.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 3 of my children have collected. The oldest just sold off most of his collection as he is going off to college next year. It was very sad to see some of those coins go since we hunted for them together image

My middle son is mostly interested in silver and he is not selling. He tells me he would sell if it got above $50 image

My youngest daughter just collected because her older brothers and dad were collecting. She probably will be the only one who keeps her collection as she gets a little older.

My hope is they have good memories from all the time we have spent together roll searching, going to coin shows and the local club together. If they come back to the hobby in more earnest when they are older then it is only a bonus in my opinion.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my children do not collect coins but that does not concern me at all.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only son who turns 3 in august will come and grab some circulated piece of silver off my desk and ask "daddy, can I put this in my collec-shun?"

I gave him a cleaned morgan dollar and he likes to pack that thing everywhere. He has even played with it in the dirt and buried it. A few weeks ago his grandpa visited us while on vacation and he was showing him his morgan dollar, and even called it by the correct name. (He used to call it "big money".)
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
    My only son who turns 3 in august will come and grab some circulated piece of silver off my desk and ask "daddy, can I put this in my collec-shun?"

I gave him a cleaned morgan dollar and he likes to pack that thing everywhere. He has even played with it in the dirt and buried it. A few weeks ago his grandpa visited us while on vacation and he was showing him his morgan dollar, and even called it by the correct name. (He used to call it "big money".)

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barndog:

Those aren't half dimes. Don't tell me she has branched out. >>

She already has a pretty decent set of half dimes...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file