Home U.S. Coin Forum

do you like territorial gold? i do.

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
here is a recent newp, photographed by todd at bluCC. thanks todd.

comments welcome.

if you have a territorial piece, post it.

here is the coin box in which newman stored the coin. i don't know how long he owned it before it got slabbed. i love this little coin box...i think it's really neat. i have placed a daniel carr 2013 gruber piece in it for storage. perhaps it will tone over time as well.

i used to live in place called old fort, north carolina. if you know where old fort is, post any coin you wish. old fort is close to rutherford.

this coin is really cool to me because i know where the bechtler mint was, and i am familiar with rutherford county, in additional to loving gold coins.

Comments

• BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Super historic piece of territorial gold, love it image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    A place called Old Fort, huh? I was just there a couple of weeks ago (only a half hour or so, I'm in Asheville).....There is an annual Gold Festival there and this year they had a full set ($1, $2.50 and $5) of Bechtlers on display that were loaned from the Raleigh Museum

www.brunkauctions.com

• jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on an awesome addition. I'm 20 minutes from the Reed Gold Mine.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Bechtler pieces and that is a beautiful one.
    The Charlotte piece is great too, jmb.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love Bechtler pieces and that is a beautiful one.
    The Charlotte piece is great too, jmb. >>

i agree! w0w jmb!!!
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I'm drooling
    Thanks for sharing!
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice the slab has (1834 1837). Did they use the 1834-dated die over multiple years?

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful looking coin with great provenance! image
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Awesome look!

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I notice the slab has (1834 1837). Did they use the 1834-dated die over multiple years? >>

Yes. The date given on the coin is the date of the law that changed the weight standard for U.S. gold coins. This was intended to show that the coin conformed to the new standard.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both gold pieces are really nice... I really like old gold.... well, all gold, but old gold has a special fascination for me. Cheers, RickO
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like territorial......
    I've often gone for California fractionals, they're cute and , quite frankly, affordable.......
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one CA fractional.
    Nowhere near as cool as the bigger ones.
    Too late to the party for me I think.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!
    Old Fort?
    Never heard of it. imageimage
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I really liked that coin when I had it in hand - it's hard to find that variety with real luster AND color. You usually have to choose one or the other...
    David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is a recent newp, photographed by todd at bluCC. thanks todd.

comments welcome.

if you have a territorial piece, post it.

here is the coin box in which newman stored the coin. i don't know how long he owned it before it got slabbed. i love this little coin box...i think it's really neat. i have placed a daniel carr 2013 gruber piece in it for storage. perhaps it will tone over time as well.

i used to live in place called old fort, north carolina. if you know where old fort is, post any coin you wish. old fort is close to rutherford.

this coin is really cool to me because i know where the bechtler mint was, and i am familiar with rutherford county, in additional to loving gold coins. >>

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious...did this lot come with an old envelope with old-time grading on it?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A place called Old Fort, huh? I was just there a couple of weeks ago (only a half hour or so, I'm in Asheville).....There is an annual Gold Festival there and this year they had a full set ($1, $2.50 and $5) of Bechtlers on display that were loaned from the Raleigh Museum >>

Darn I feel a strange kinship with Old Fort NC. I lived in Goldsboro NC many years ago. I got family tree somewhere in Franklin Co NC
    that headed off to Oregon over the Oregon Trail. I went to NC State for a while.

And now some people call me Old Fart, once in a while. It's only a letter off in spelling - close enough to warm my britches.

<< <i>Just curious...did this lot come with an old envelope with old-time grading on it? >>

no, unlike the other items in the auctions, this coin came only with the small single coin box. i assume newman kept the coin in that box prior to having it slabbed for the auction. on the back of it it reads "c bechtler $5." he did not assign a grade.

<< <i>Congratulations! I really liked that coin when I had it in hand - it's hard to find that variety with real luster AND color. You usually have to choose one or the other... >>

thanks david. it was a pleasure meeting you. i appreciate you giving me your thoughts and opinions on bechtler coinage, and this coin in particular.
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're welcome - Bechtlers are great, under-rated coins when they're original. Bring some more by!
    David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, awesome !!! :-)
    Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file