Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hypothetical problem transaction with dealer

RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, you know whenever someone says it's hypothetical that this is BS, so I will cut to the chase. What would you do in this situation?

You are alerted to a numismatic item on a dealer's email offering, and it is something you would like from your collection. You contact the dealer, the item is indeed available, and, he will even knock a few bucks off the price. You accept the deal and await the arrival of your purchase.

The item comes via priority mail in two days, on approval, and the invoice price is exactly as quoted. You examine the item, and it actually looks even better than you expected. There was a small spot on the photo that you cannot see with your naked eye. In fact, it is so invisible that you wonder if it was on the lens of the camera. Everything is looking great until...

This is where it gets ugly, you look more closely at the invoice and it lists the item at the offering price, and in the next line,

"YOUR FAVORITE FOOTBALL TEAM (hypothetically, the Steelers) "2015 loss to YOUR LEAST FAVORITE FOOTBALL TEAM (hypothetically, the Patriots) in Super Bowl deciding game." discount"

The item is great.
The service is great.
The price is great.
And then there is the acceptance of completely unreasonable terms for the discount.

What would you do in this situation?

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should just contact the dealer and ask.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dealers I know well are Steelers fans. I ordered from them and mailed my check in a Patriots-themed envelope (flying Elvis). Got a fun letter back with the merchandise.

Good stuff!
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should come to the realization that following the steelers is just a really bad idea and give up. then, you should pull for the dallas cowboys.

also, we need a photo. what are you, a newbie?
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Though you might find that impossible.
    I would send the check in a bubble mailer filled with air.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    You should take the sympathy discount and, when you send the dealer your check (assuming you still do that old-fashioned thing), remind the dealer: "There's always next year!"

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4. booby trap. (Hypothetically; two deflated balls)
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like they succeeded in a chain yank

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Accept the terms and send him a custom Steeler themed check . Tell him these are my terms , Steelers are your favorite team , or you can burn the check and I (you) keep the coin !
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact the Steelers and suggest they schedule someone other than the Patsies!image
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK:

I teach at the University of Florida. I purchased a coin from dealer who graduated from the University of Georgia. He gave me a "loser football team" discount. I accepted the discount and marveled that the discount was written in pen rather than crayon. (image) Indeed, this very dealer frequents these boards. Maybe he can find someone to translate his grunts into a semi-coherent response. (Double imageimage)
    Mark

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Send the check in this.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay retail and send the check post dated to the 2016 super bowl date.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send him a Steelers themed check encased in Lucite. Tell him in your note: Rocky Bleier solid deal !

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Send the check in this.
    image >>

image Love it!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Do a better job of picking a football team to support.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a trick question? The answer is obvious...return the coin.
    Lance.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say pay more as your team lost, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a way to sign Aaron Rodgers and move on.

<< <i>Find a way to sign Aaron Rodgers and move on. >>

Or Russell Wilson.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is deflating...

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously send him the check with plenty of deflategate info.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't care if it was a "Your a schmuck for living on the West Coast Discount". I'll take any discount. And I do live on the West Coast.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a light-hearted gag to me.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Hah! Never happens to us Lions fans.
  • dibdib Posts: 311
    Love it!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 3. pay the discounted price, but don't shut up, instead return a bantering note to your dealer friend thanking him for the discount with some kind of back-handed compliment in turn.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change Teams,

Suppot The Colts and Andrew Luck,,,,

This IS The Year!!!!!

or Peyton Manning and The Broncos,,,,,, either works for me!!!!!!

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    This is bromance; love is in the air. image
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should post the said coin on on a hypothetical PCGS forum for all to see
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is bromance; love is in the air. image >>

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    RYK, send him cash in the form of mint bags of 2015 pennies. The expression on his face will more than offset the cost of shipping.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RYK, send him cash in the form of mint bags of 2015 pennies. The expression on his face will more than offset the cost of shipping. >>

I am assuming he wishes to maintain future business relations with this dealer though.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RYK:

I teach at the University of Florida. I purchased a coin from dealer who graduated from the University of Georgia. He gave me a "loser football team" discount. I accepted the discount and marveled that the discount was written in pen rather than crayon. (image) Indeed, this very dealer frequents these boards. Maybe he can find someone to translate his grunts into a semi-coherent response. (Double imageimage) >>

How do you get a Florida graduate off of your front porch? Pay him for the pizza.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>RYK:

I teach at the University of Florida. I purchased a coin from dealer who graduated from the University of Georgia. He gave me a "loser football team" discount. I accepted the discount and marveled that the discount was written in pen rather than crayon. (image) Indeed, this very dealer frequents these boards. Maybe he can find someone to translate his grunts into a semi-coherent response. (Double imageimage) >>

How do you get a Florida graduate off of your front porch? Pay him for the pizza. >>

Good one!

This is the item:

The seller is my friend, David Wnuck:

And I have decided to send a check, for the discounted amount, with the following written in the memo line:

"By cashing this check, I am confirming that I believe Brady, Belichick, and the entire Patriot organization to be dishonest and that none of their Super Bowl victories are legit."

(I will have to write in very small letters. image )

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Well, I have no idea who this anonymous dealer is (but he does sound intelligent and very handsome) of course.

But it sounds to me like he really knows his football.

I'm not sure it the Patriots will be playing the Steelers in the AFC championship game this year (the Patriots might be playing some other team) but I think I would gladly accept the discount and consider switching to becoming a fan of whatever the New England based football team is (I can't think of their name right now).
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I have no idea who this anonymous dealer is (but he does sound intelligent and very handsome) of course.

I'm not sure it the Patriots will be playing the Steelers in the AFC championship game this year (the Patriots might be playing some other team) but I think I would gladly accept the discount and consider switching to becoming a fan of whatever the New England based football team is (I can't think of their name right now). >>

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would include a gift certificate for psychiatric counseling...of course if he's a fan of the Patriots, he'll have no idea what that big word means. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I have no idea who this anonymous dealer is (but he does sound intelligent and very handsome) of course.

I'm not sure it the Patriots will be playing the Steelers in the AFC championship game this year (the Patriots might be playing some other team) but I think I would gladly accept the discount and consider switching to becoming a fan of whatever the New England based football team is (I can't think of their name right now). >>

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is bromance; love is in the air. image >>

LOL … I Like this person. Welcome.
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    There were a couple Pats AFC Championship game victories over the Steelers. Which one are you referring to? The one where Kordell Stewart proclaimed the best team didn't win, or the one where the Steelers when 15-1 during the regular season and then got smoked 41-27?

<< <i>There were a couple Pats AFC Championship game victories over the Steelers. Which one are you referring to? The one where Kordell Stewart proclaimed the best team didn't win, or the one where the Steelers when 15-1 during the regular season and then got smoked 41-27? >>

The game won't be played until Sept 10th.image

• << <i>Well, I have no idea who this anonymous dealer is (but he does sound intelligent and very handsome) of course.

Numismatist, Alhambra Coin Center

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file