Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm finally going to pull the trigger

EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
and sell off my classic silver commemoratives. I haven't bought or upgraded one since I completed the set and my collecting focus has changed a bit recently so perhaps it is time to move on from them. I know the market isn't necessarily strong for them at the moment but I doubt it will get much better anytime soon and hopefully I won't take too big of a bath on the sale. Over the last few days I have looked them over and there are quite a few that I will definitely miss. This will be my first major culling of my collection so it is a big step. I've read every post here concerning collectors parting with their coins and I know that feelings can be mixed but I really hope I don't regret it.

To avoid the possibility of spam, I'm not going to discuss when or how the sale will happen but please share your experiences, both good and bad, of selling your collection. Post a commemorative if you have one - but nothing TOO nice so I don't second guess myself image

JH

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird.
    I've just begun thinking of STARTING the silver commems.
    Dang purdy stuff.

I sure don't see any at shops.

But don't let this change your mind. Just because they've been inert for a while doesn't mean everyone is as dumb as me.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the change in focus...but maybe you can keep one or two of your favorites. I'd recommend it if you can.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For that sage advice, you might consider giving me a special "thank you" price on a Spanish Trail. image
  • I will be eagerly awaiting your sale.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Over the last few days I have looked them over and there are quite a few that I will definitely miss >>

Why not keep a "Box of 20" of the ones you'd miss and sell the other 124 from the set?

That way there's no major sellers remorse and your still a type commem collector.

Just my 2 cents as I never sell everything when I'm done with something I loved and ready to move on to another project.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be eagerly awaiting your sale.

image >>

one of my favorites.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

one of my favorites. >>

I think I sold that one as that looks like my photo? image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

one of my favorites. >>

I think I sold that one as that looks like my photo? image >>

do you wish ya kept that one?
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the keep a few of the keys idea.

As always I recommend shopping them around at good sized auctions that will publish great pictures. Negotiate terms to reduce Sellers premiums (an entire collection of anything should be priced at 7 1/2 to 10% max IMO) and whatever you do don't sell all at once. There's only so much money in the room.

Just remember, we are but caretakers....
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Always enjoyed looking at your commems. Good luck whichever way you go.

imageimage

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I did negotiate good terms but on the condition that I sell the entire collection. I'll post something in the BST when it happens in case anybody (ahem, topstuf!) is interested. For the record erickso1, I'm still holding on to my Norse medals - I'm not ready to sell those yet image

JH
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you the best in the sale. Still like me some Commem's.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sad. I hope that you do well profit-wise and maybe, hopefully you can build an even better collection in another series. Otherwise, good luck on your departure.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few, San Diego, California and Antietam. Price wise they've been flat for years now. Hopefully you can bring new fire to the series.
    Antietam is my favorite.

imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your sales.... tough decision....Cheers, RickO
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. For the record erickso1, I'm still holding on to my Norse medals - I'm not ready to sell those yet image

JH >>

What???? image I wasn't..... I mean, I'd never.....image
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep a few of your most treasured pieces and take your time selling the rest...certainly this market will eventually rebound as long as new collectors are coming into the fold.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you don't get sellers remorse.

I like toning as much as the next guy but I love the luster on this one, even though white commems are not in vogue.

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file