Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chris Squire, bassist for Yes, passed away at age 67. Post a coin from the 1970's

The bassist for the progressive rock band Yes, Chris Squire, passed away at age 67.

Yes, probably best known for their 1971 song Roundabout, created symphonic rock genre back in the 1970's.
Their three main works did not get much air play since the pieces were 20 minutes long but was notably the best music created in the 1970's.

If you are not familiar with them, it is worth a listen with Close To The Edge (part 1), Close To The Edge (Part 2), Relayer, and Tales From Topographic Oceans

Comments

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw my first Yes concert in LA in 1974. Huge fan since around 1972. One of the truly top bassist of all time. I just saw Chris Squire perform with Yes last year in San Diego's Humphries by the bay. Still sounded Excellent! RIP
    email: [email protected]

100% Positive BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of them... of course, I was working outside the U.S. during that time (Barbados, Portugal) and did not hear American music. Cheers, RickO
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Yessongs was always one of my favorite albums! He will be missed.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw them many times, perhaps most memorably as the main act backed up by Peter Frampton and others in an all day event in Philly back at the time Frampton was at his peak. Squire was a spectacular bassist. I traded my lunch money for a week for a copy of "The Yes Album" (I've seen all good people", etc). That album is a classic as well. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, the '70's - let's see, on the coin side, we have Ike Dollars and Susan B. Agony Dollars. On the music side, Disco and the Village People. On the political side, Watergate, WIN buttons, and Mr. Peanut. What a horrible decade.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    If you think negatively, you can come up with all kinds of bad things, on the other hand, if you think positively you get The Allman Brothers Band, current version of Fleetwood Mac end of the Vietnam War, Hemi Cuda convertible. Coins are in the eye of the beholder, thus the old modernist versus classic coin argument. I choose to be positive in my memories, you can find bad ones in any timeframe. The holder of the Nr1 Ike registry set might disagree with your position as well. Just MHO.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the 70's. Been there, done that, and got a number of concert t-shirts. image

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw them many times, perhaps most memorably as the main act backed up by Peter Frampton and others in an all day event in Philly back at the time Frampton was at his peak. Squire was a spectacular bassist. I traded my lunch money for a week for a copy of "The Yes Album" (I've seen all good people", etc). That album is a classic as well. Wondercoin. >>

I was there too. My first full day in Philly, guest of the U.S. Navy at the Naval Shipyard.
    It was a weekend and no one was around base so they said go find something to do.
    Well I did, that was a really good concert/show.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually of their albums, I always liked Topographic Oceans the best. The flow from Revealing Science of God, the Remembering, the Ancient and into the Ritual when it first came out was a long and amazing trip back in college days... I still have it in exceptional condition. I will play it today as it is fitting to remember them. RIP to a great bass player. No 70's coins to post as most of mine are either much older or younger, so I will post a picture of my old 70's album.
  • Back in the 70's I sat second row dead center at a Yes concert. Best seat I ever had at a concert.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw my first Yes concert in LA in 1974. Huge fan since around 1972. One of the truly top bassist of all time. I just saw Chris Squire perform with Yes last year in San Diego's Humphries by the bay. Still sounded Excellent! RIP >>

I was at the Humphries concert as well. I ponied up for the Meet & Greet and we had front row seats.
    I got to complement Howe, White and Squire on their "creative genius". I asked Squire if Anderson and Wakeman would ever rejoin then on tour. He just laughed and said "Well, stranger things have happened." Unfortunately, it won't happen. image

Close To The Edge, Gates and Tales from Topographic Oceans were all works of art from talented people whose synergy at the time produced music that I hope will be appreciated far into the future.

Gates of Delerium

Coins and crosses never know their fruitless worth

RIP Chris.
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My older sister was a fan and my parents must have found them OK because they always let her play her YES tapes in the car on long drives when we were kids. I probably subliminally memorized a lot of the lyrics to their songs over those years.

JH
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Saw my first Yes concert in LA in 1974. Huge fan since around 1972. One of the truly top bassist of all time. I just saw Chris Squire perform with Yes last year in San Diego's Humphries by the bay. Still sounded Excellent! RIP >>

I was at the Humphries concert as well. I ponied up for the Meet & Greet and we had front row seats.
    I got to complement Howe, White and Squire on their "creative genius". I asked Squire if Anderson and Wakeman would ever rejoin then on tour. He just laughed and said "Well, stranger things have happened." Unfortunately, it won't happen. image

Close To The Edge, Gates and Tales from Topographic Oceans were all works of art from talented people whose synergy at the time produced music that I hope will be appreciated far into the future.

Gates of Delerium

RIP Chris. >>

How about Heart of the Sunrise ? Good bass work on that one image
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found in a proof set - PCGS PR69 dcam.....image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the 1979 Going for the One concert I shot...

Chris Squire

sigh. I've seen Yes about a half-dozen times. They changed my musical outlook when I was a kid...
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bronco. I totally agree. The bass on that song is really amazing. Drums are good too. Very hard to find real talent like that in much of the music lately as far as I can hear. Yes has several really great individual songs, but for a full album experience, I always go back to Topographic Oceans, as it just flows over and over into so many different worlds, colors, and sounds to imagine. The only problem back then was having or remembering to try to get up to turn the record over. It is really awesome to hear it continuous digitally now.

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw them many times, perhaps most memorably as the main act backed up by Peter Frampton and others in an all day event in Philly back at the time Frampton was at his peak. Squire was a spectacular bassist. I traded my lunch money for a week for a copy of "The Yes Album" (I've seen all good people", etc). That album is a classic as well. Wondercoin. >>

I was there too. My first full day in Philly, guest of the U.S. Navy at the Naval Shipyard.
    It was a weekend and no one was around base so they said go find something to do.
    Well I did, that was a really good concert/show. >>

lol. I forgot what year it was, but Yes did an outdoor concert here (the Poodle was on keyboards, so it was the Drama concert, I think), and had Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd (before the crash) and Gary Wright as back-up bands...

A sad day...
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im sorry to hear that. best wishes to his family
  • RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Wow...bummer...Yes was one of my favorites bands from the 70's.

Been able to share them with my oldest son who loves "Roundabout" and "I've Seen All Good People."

Was fortunate enough to see them twice.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. mr squire

still a lil devastated over our lost of paco de lucia

<<< been to my share of yes concerts
    roundabout...still one of my favorites

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Chris, you are a legend.

One of my favorite rock groups of all time. Seen Yes about a dozen times over the years, most recently last July at Atlanta Symphony Hall.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Gates of Delerium

RIP Chris. >>

-------------------------------------------------------------

Stupid observation,,,,, I ass/u/me that this is where this poster got his handle from???

I am 57 yrs old and have never heard of this Band or their members image

I guess I hung with a different group. image

Always wondered what this handle represented from this poster,,,,,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great band. Great music, often unappreciated.

1972-S $1 Silver PCGS MS68

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...

<< <i>Stupid observation,,,,, I ass/u/me that this is where this poster got his handle from??? >>

Yep. Yes published a 20 minute tune named, "Close To The Edge", and got so derided for it (even though it's a masterpiece), Anderson (singer/songwriter) said, "Screw all you guys.", (or something similar), and he and the group wrote "Tales from the Topographic Oceans", an 80+ minute tune in four movements. (Each movement was on an LP album side.)

<< <i>I am 57 yrs old and have never heard of this Band or their members image

I guess I hung with a different group. image >>

I'd be surprised if you never heard of the tunes, "Time and a Word", "All Good People", "Roundabout" or "Owner of a Lonely Heart". The group was a powerhouse with Chris Squire on Bass, Steve Howe on guitar and Rick Wakeman on keyboards. Each arguably the best of his genre back in the '70's.

Otherwise, they (and Emerson, Lake and Palmer) were the premier "progressive rock" groups of the '70's. If either group got a hit on the radio, it was by accident...
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear of his untimely death. My regards to his family. With respect to Yes, I confess I do not care for the band at all. For some reason listening to Roundabout is like fingernails on chalkboard to me.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am familiar with Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Some songs you know but not the artists image
    GrandAm :)

• << <i>From the 1979 Going for the One concert I shot...

Chris Squire

sigh. I've seen Yes about a half-dozen times. They changed my musical outlook when I was a kid... >>

Nice shootin' Tex! I recall Anderson dropping his lyric sheet at his feet so he could recall the words to Going For The One. Yes in the round.

Squire was the only bass player at the time (that I know of) who used a plectrum. He served his music valiantly. RIP
    Smooth transactions with Gerard, mkman123, joebb21

Slabbed Gold For Sale
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still have this original Yes LP album.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The WHO lost their Bass guitar player on the EXACT day as Squire's passing 13 years ago!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    This thread has truly made my day. I'm a huge Yes fan. Seen them many times, both with Alan White and Bill Bruford. My favorite concert was a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden. Partially because I just love the Garden, but there were many other factors at play that evening including my companions and the manner in which we scored our tickets. Short story it was an amazing event and they were flawless as usual. I saw them a few times here in my hometown of Atlanta, in the '90s, and at one show had front-row seats. I'll never forget Chris Squire rocking the edge of the stage all night like he was a teenager in his prime. A truly unbelieveable bassist and underrated backup singer. While in college, my band covered "Siberian Khatru" and "Roundabout" and attempted a few others. Maybe we should dust them off.

Anyway I own some vinyl and a couple t-shirts, and of course some CDs, but no US coins of the 1970s except a mint and a proof set neither of which are imaged. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are quite a lot of nice coins to collect from the 1970's and just like the musical group "Yes" the US Mint was in a very progressive period in some ways. the biggest thing affecting(and again, not impacting) both seemed to be social change colliding with political animosity. the most important thing from the US Mint during this decade was that after 20+ years of trying to perfect high production Deep Cameo Proof coinage a method was finally found.

back to music, I feel blessed to have come of age during the late 60's-early 70's and to have been able to see some of these groups experimenting at that time. Yes was one of the leading practitioners of acid rock. I actually saw them at the Akron Rubber Bowl, the very first concert I attended. me and a friend hitchhiked down from Euclid to see The Eagles(their first tour), Mahavishnu Orchestra(first tour) and Yes. to say it was incredible is an understatement. one thing about music back in the day is the artwork that was on the album covers. I expect that I'm not alone in saying that I spent many hours listening while looking at the covers of albums. that has been lost with the current "canvas" that artists work with, the CD.

BTW, on Wednesday me and a friend are heading to Jacob's Pavilion @ Nautica in Cleveland to see John Fogerty's 1969 tour. I was to young to catch him when CCR was going strong but this show should be pretty good. the seats are pretty good, fifth row just left of center in a small, intimate, outdoor venue!!

as to Chris Squire, it is sad to hear of his death. I know it's commonly said as a joke that Bass Players are a dime-a-dozen but nothing could be further from the truth. I have seen many of the greats and Chris Squire had a signature sound that drove many of the songs Yes recorded, anyone unfamiliar with them might do a Youtube search for Starship Trooper for a good sampling.

perhaps my favorite Yes song, A Venture.

Once a peaceful man laid his old head down by a river,
    Thought about his childhood life, his father and forgiver,
    Couldn't hide away, hide away.

He controlled the horses with a handclap or a whisper,
    Drink he couldn't combat but he knew he was no sinner,
    Couldn't hide away, hide away.

He told all his sons of all the antics of adventure,
    Then he told another one who drove himself to drink
    Not to hide away, hide away.

Better men have realized alone is not a venture,
    A decent man would realize alone is not a venture,
    Just to hide away, hide away.

He told all his sons of all the antics of adventure,
    Then he told another one who drove himself to drink
    Not to hide away, hide away.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has truly made my day. I'm a huge Yes fan. Seen them many times, both with Alan White and Bill Bruford. My favorite concert was a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden. Partially because I just love the Garden, but there were many other factors at play that evening including my companions and the manner in which we scored our tickets. Short story it was an amazing event and they were flawless as usual. I saw them a few times here in my hometown of Atlanta, in the '90s, and at one show had front-row seats. I'll never forget Chris Squire rocking the edge of the stage all night like he was a teenager in his prime. A truly unbelieveable bassist and underrated backup singer. While in college, my band covered "Siberian Khatru" and "Roundabout" and attempted a few others. Maybe we should dust them off.

Anyway I own some vinyl and a couple t-shirts, and of course some CDs, but no US coins of the 1970s except a mint and a proof set neither of which are imaged. image >>

I was a HUGE Yes fan in college (and since). I used to get psyched up for football games listening to the ending of "To Be Over" off of Relayer. It to me is the "Halleluiah Chorus" of progressive rock. The Gates of Delirium ended too serenely for getting psyched. We also had a band that played almost all Yes...so they sucked as a dance band.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Saw them in concert in the mid 70s. Still a fan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file