Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Too bad He didn't ask us (silver related)

How Much Is $160 Of Silver Worth To The Average American? (Hint: Less Than $10)
From ZeroHedge http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-25/how-much-160-silver-worth-average-american-hint-less-10

Seemingly confirming the national new normal, dumbing-down-ness, the following clip shows Americans have absolutely no idea about the value of precious metals. When asked if they would like to purchase a 10oz silver bar (worth $160) for just ten bucks, every single one refused... one even refused to handover a half-drunk Starbucks coffee for the silver bar.

Exposing the staggering ignorance of the average American even more, the clip was filmed right in front of a coin shop.

We wonder what the same interviews would be like in China or India or Russia? Or Here

Collector/Numismatic Hobbyist

Comments

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I watched that video. I am not sure if it's because they were "dumb" or just thought it was fake and therefore just believed it was worthless.

Try that same experiment with a PCGS slabbed silver dollar and I'd bet the results would be different
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, I know what a 10oz silver bar is worth however if someone offered it to me for 10 bucks on the street I would pass.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd verify necessary markings (purity, manufacturer, etc.) and if they were there I would ask, "How many more do you have?" I'll bet that would look funny on the video.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd pass.
    Wait.....it's silver. Yes, I'd pass.

Now GOLD on the other hand.
    Stackin here, boss.

Silver sucks. AND I say that as one who hasn' t been reamed by the price ....yet.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been around before.... and as I said then, I would give the $10, but I believe it would be refused, with the explanation that 'This is just an experiment, thanks for taking part.'.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone offered me a silver bar i'd start asking a lot of questions and then if the answers made sense then maybe a deal

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I would just pass on this deal, not because of ignorance of silver's value but because that is not the circumstances under which I buy silver.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't put much stock into these types of videos... to me they are kind of meaningless.

First of all... anytime you are approached in public by someone offering to sell you something... what do you do?? Hey buddy... want to buy a rolex? 99% of the time it is a scam and you will be taken. Why would it be any different if a person was approached with a silver bar? I wouldn't blame anyone for refusing to even check further.

Also, perhaps in the individual's mind there may be a 'sting' operation taking place... who in their right mind wants to get involved with potential stolen goods, etc. Ain't worth it.

Finally... we only see what the person filming this wants you to see. We have NO idea if there were one... or 20... individuals that DID want to investigate further, or to purchase the item.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Fred Weinberg in Encinitas?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file