Video: 10 oz Silver bar for $10, passed up

Silver bar
VIDEO: Americans Refuse to Purchase 10 oz Silver Bar Worth $160 for 10 Bucks
Stunning ignorance about value of precious metals revealed
"I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"

Comments

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Why could he not been doing this in my area...I would have gladly paid it and be on my way before he can even say "Thanks" image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Americans Refuse to Purchase 10 oz Silver Bar Worth $160 for 10 Bucks

>>

Maybe it shows the large majority of Americans have some moral fiber and won't buy something that stinks of being stolen. The people who passed on this should be applauded not called ignorant.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this guy has ever had anyone take him up on these. The gold coins ones during the 1900 run were hard to believe, but we are a small lot of the population so it's not all that surprising.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think it was stolen, too, to be perfectly honest.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    I think it has something more to do with a guy standing on the street with a silver bar and a microphone and a camera man standing beside him filming peoples reaction...One would think ..".hmmm what is this guy up to??? If i buy this would he then say i just bought something that is fake and or stolen and make a fool of myself in front of thousands of people that would be watching this? Ah i don't think so..." (so i think rather than be embarrassed they just would not by this silver bar)
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd think it was stolen, too, to be perfectly honest. >>

Why would it matter if it's not uniquely identifiable? If you ran a coin shop, you'd be out of biz in no time if you took the approach that everything that walks in the door might be stolen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have given him the $10, though I doubt if he would have really parted with the silver... I think at the time of the 'exchange' it would be revealed as a poll on people's reaction and receive a 'thank you for participating'... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have given him the $10, though I doubt if he would have really parted with the silver... I think at the time of the 'exchange' it would be revealed as a poll on people's reaction and receive a 'thank you for participating'... Cheers, RickO >>

Most likely this and he's just showing the ones who weren't interested.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We live in skeptical, cynical times. Most people think, "Who cares? Go away from me" or more likely, if they were one of the tiny fraction of people interested in precious metals, "what's the catch?"

these results are not surprising in the least.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would it matter if it's not uniquely identifiable? If you ran a coin shop, you'd be out of biz in no time if you took the approach that everything that walks in the door might be stolen. >>

As they should be.... Most of the B&M Coin shops in my area are nothing more than fences, the give this people who come in with certified 1 oz gold Eagles $400 and tell them to get some more.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with pretty much everyone else. I'm a metals hound, have been a stacker to one degree or another for 40 years. I'd say my ability to spot a real or fake bar was excellent.

That said, I can't see any circumstances under which I'd say "Golly, what a great deal. Here's your money!"

Instead, If I was in a good mood, I'd tell him to get bent. If I was in a bad mood, I'll tell him to get bent then call the cops to tell them a con man was accosting people on the street.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Americans Refuse to Purchase 10 oz Silver Bar Worth $160 for 10 Bucks

>>

Maybe it shows the large majority of Americans have some moral fiber and won't buy something that stinks of being stolen. The people who passed on this should be applauded not called ignorant. >>

stolen and then he has it all on video? nonsense
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just, "why bother?'

guy on the street with the camera wants to make a fool of me and then put it on TV and internet.

no thanks

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that area is super expensive and a great place to surf. I wish I was there that day...