Home Precious Metals

resolved

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
gotta love eBay
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair to your buyer:

Your title does say "Lot All 1850's."

In that context, your quantity of more than one available could be taken as more than one lot available.

You might edit to clarify. I would start with changing "This auction is for these exact California Fractional Gold Octagon Tokens shown" to " this auction is for one of these exact California Fractional Gold Octagon Tokens shown."

A seller needs to make it very clear when selling only one, especially when including the word "lot."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I get it derryb, I have to make it idiot proof image but all it takes is some simple deductive reasoning and common sense, but I get it...idiot proof.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I get it derryb, I have to make it idiot proof image but all it takes is some simple deductive reasoning and common sense, but I get it...idiot proof. >>

You've been around eBay long enough to know to not assume that all individuals possess these simple life qualities. I sometimes wonder how some people remember to breathe.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    FWIW, your minor changes did not make it idiot proof. I still see room for confusion.

you might also include a single close up of a couple of them showing both sides.

I get it derryb, I have to make it idiot proof but all it takes is some simple deductive reasoning and common sense, but I get it...idiot proof. >>

You've been around eBay long enough to know to not assume that all individuals possess these simple life qualities. I sometimes wonder how some people remember to breathe.

I had an auction of a single item and it was shown with a dime next to it just to give the viewer an idea of how large it was, and the guy asked me where the dime was when he received the item. He said he factored that into his bid. Because I didn't state in the description that it was just to compare size, I had to send him a dime via Paypal because he threatened to leave me negative feedback.

FWIW, your minor changes did not make it idiot proof. I still see room for confusion

Well, if it happens again I will just refund as I have with this guy thinking he's getting apx. $4000 worth of stuff for $36. I can see now how someone could've possibly misinterpreted in my original description when I put my scammer eyes to it (because that's what this was all about, someone just trying to scam something), but if they can't interpret it the way it is now, they'll be refunded. And I can't see how eBay would allow a negative to be left with the way it is now, but one should never assume anything with an overseas eBay Rep. lol.
    When I list $4000 worth of stuff I make sure that there is completely no room for confusion on the buyer's part. But that's just me. image

If I expect someone to read clearly it is important that I write clearly.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with derryb..... clarity is of the utmost importance - especially if the product(s) are high dollar. Even ads for products in papers or online, when showing another item for comparison, state "such and such not included". Cheers, RickO
  • PeacePeoplePeacePeople Posts: 106 ✭✭
    You're expecting the buyers to actually read the body of the listing. How many times have you read about people not actually reading the ad, buying the item and then being disappointed, or even had that happen to you.

Also, why not put up a decent pic of them showing what they actually are. It appears you're assuming they know what they are, but the pics used don't show what they are and buyers won't really know what to expect because they can't really see what one of them actually looks like.

I'm not saying the ad is curvy or that is your intention, but it does or will seem that way based on how it's presented overall.
    Nevermind...
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also don't forget that , for some buyers eBay is hiding the description completely. In that situation there is some button they have to click to view the description.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the listing, but being as clear and concise as possible is key. It will save you (some) headaches down the road.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

<< <i>Also don't forget that , for some buyers eBay is hiding the description completely. In that situation there is some button they have to click to view the description. >>

I never knew this.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also don't forget that , for some buyers eBay is hiding the description completely. In that situation there is some button they have to click to view the description. >>

I never knew this. >>

Depending on your tablet or smartphone, when you pull up ebay items there is a separate tab to click to see the full description.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    All great advice, thanks.

For the record since I know it's a touchy thing now, I removed the link to eBay not long after posting it here because I remembered how sensitive some folks are now to that.
    If derryb chooses to leave the link up in his post, I guess that his choice, but please direct all your eBay link complaints to him, not me.

And also for the record, DW has said that he did not make any new rule changes regarding posting eBay stuff here as long as it's mentoned in the title, as it's always been. Just thought that some folks might care to know that if they want to post their eBay links here (and take the heat for doing so which isn't worth it).
    My only recollection about ebay links is that they not be used to violate Don's rules and in addition a forum member's request that ebay be mentioned in the title of any BST post that is for ebay items. Correct me if I am wrong.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the ebay app on my smartphone and you have to click on a link to read the description. For that reason alone, the title should be crystal clear.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.