Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

DANSCO Albums for foreign series

I'm primarily looking for Dansco Albums for Peruvian, German, Cuban or Chinese 20th century sets but I haven't had any luck on eBay or any numismatic supply websites. Does anyone have a clue where I could find any one of these? Are there dealers who specialize in albums that I could reach out to?

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Dansco make these? I don't think they did. Look here.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes these typesets use to be made in the 60's and 70's....and DANSCO use to make a lot more albums than they do now. By the 80's they cut back a lot and only stuck to mostly US and popular western European typesets and series. One of my local B&M dealers has a few cool typeset albums (Portuguese, Spain and other albums that are no longer made) but he keep them for himself.

The only one I'm really surprised they don't still make is a German typeset...since their coins are still very popular today.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Just curious - and I really don't mean this in any critical way - but what is the appeal of Dansco albums? Why not simply switch to a brand that has the countries/types you desire readily available? I mean, are Dansco albums known to tone coins well over time? or are they appealing because they don't tone the coins poorly?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious - and I really don't mean this in any critical way - but what is the appeal of Dansco albums? Why not simply switch to a brand that has the countries/types you desire readily available? I mean, are Dansco albums known to tone coins well over time? or are they appealing because they don't tone the coins poorly? >>

It's not always that. In many cases, Dansco are the only ones who made albums for some of these countries.

I have never heard of the ones the OP mentioned. Those are gonna be tough (if not impossible) to find, expensive if they are found.

Once upon a time, I had the three Irish ones, but that's all I've seen of foreign Dansco options. I know they made a Fiji (!) type set around the same time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    I used to get and find old, odd Dansco folders at Brooklyn Gallery. Maybe they still have some laying around or can find them. Be sure to look in all the folder, album, world and closeout sections. I have yet to be able to ever get a link in the proper format on here:

http://www.brooklyngallery.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?display=home

null
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen type set album made by Dansco for Peru. I believe they did Germany, Cuba and I suspect China has been done or is in the works. Offhand, you may look at some of the Blue bookshelf type albums Whitman made- you might find something there-it might be worth looking into

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mlov43mlov43 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭
    Why not make your own albums with Dansco blank millimeter pages and blank binders?

That's what I did for my South Korean coins. Check out the albums that I made at the bottom of this webpage:

Korean Coin Albums
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a bad idea

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Lochness- Like lordmarcovan mentioned DANSCO albums were made for a lot of lot of different countries (for short periods of time). I like my current 7070 and other miscellaneous albums through DANSCO and they are high quality, are easity to use and store and they are pretty inert from what I have seen/experienced.

Syl- Thanks for the reference, I'll take a look and see what they have!

Koinkat- Yes, that is going to be my next step. It looks like these albums are pretty tough to track down or downright rare...so I'll either use a whitman or do what mlov43 recommended.

mlov43- Not a bad idea, I'll definitely keep that in my back pocket if I can't find a true typeset for these various countries! Nice set by the way!
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Some of these are notoriously difficult to find. I think I have seen the Cuba album a few times, but the others I don't think I have seen, and I do keep an eye out for these albums.

I spent about 2 years looking for the brown Fiji album, which to my knowledge is the only complete album ever made for the pre-decimal Fiji series. That particular album has sold (used and empty) for as much as $70-$80 on eBay. I finally found one recently as a buy-it-now about 2 minutes after it was put up on eBay for $25. I doubt it would have lasted much longer.

Good luck with your search and I'll keep an eye out for them image

Dennis
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether he's still in business or not, but I was able to get a lot of British, Aussie, and Mexican folders/albums from one guy in particular when I was branching out a decade or so ago. I didn't see Peru or China or Cuba listed, but he may have run across a few in his time & just not listed them due to low interest?

At the time, he offered Whitman (folders & Bookshelf), Dansco, Library of Coins, and a few others, both folders & albums. New & Used. Reasonably priced.

Randy Miller
    c/o Chief Coin & Supply
    P.O. Box 254
    Oshkosh, WI 54903-0254
    920-231-6161 Phone
    920-231-6122 Fax

Good luck!

- - Daveimage
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is one you are after: Linkage

He had posted a few non-US Dancos a few days ago--including a Japan one for an EXTREMELY reasonable BIN. Unfortunately someone hit the BIN as I was pulling up the listing. Someone got a good deal.

Anyway, this is a German one, and it might be worth contacting him to see if he has more.

Thanks for all the help everyone! WHEN I do track some of these down, I'll be sure to share them with the community!

Dennis88- Thanks, and feel free to PM me if you find/have something I might be interested in, I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable bounty image

DBSTrader2- I'll definitely reach out to Randy to see if he can help me in my search and I'll let you know what he says.

Stork- Looks like I might have something to use my eBay bucks on!
    edited March 19, 2017 6:09PM

Finally found one of these on eBay. Convinced the seller to switch it from an auction to a BIN and paid less than what a 7070 costs.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 7:58AM

Very nice! The possibility of made to order pages, (with a cover naming the country and the period) is quite expensive, considering the fact that each page will normally have various different size slots, without any lettering because it's too expensive, but most of all, if I were to do a thing like this (still debating it), I'd send every single coin of the wanted sizes (17mm-38 mm) in very used raw condition, to be certain that the slots will turn out to be correct.

Other than that, DBSTrader's Randy Miller is SURE NOT TO DISAPPOINT! He carries an incredible stock of BRAND NEW world type Whitman albums, that are off the market for over 50 years, with their outer plastic and all. He also has folders and used albums, but considering how great his prices are for the brand new ones, it's pretty obvious what to order.

Just no website, email or catalogue. Contact him in the good old fashioned way. As for Dansco, there's also a RARE Swiss type set, that I once got from Lordmarcovan I think, and even though I was stupid enough to sell it, it led me to build a truly first class slabbed type set in 65-68 PCGS grades.

I mean, are Dansco albums known to tone coins well over time? or are they appealing because they don't tone the coins poorly

No, the toning comes with Wayte Raymond pages only, that contain sulfuric acid. I know a lot of guys who are using their pages (boards), notably the crown size ones for world crowns in the hope that they'll see their coins develop some really nice target toning, but no one told them that it takes 2-3 decades at least for the minimal amount of sulfur in its pages to react and produce a real natural toning.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear someone else has had success with Randy Miller as well!