Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Found an 1869 piece from Afghanistan (Sher Ali Khan Barakzai, Silver Rupee, AH1286, KM#518)

I had to buy this little piece of history from a seller all the way in Hungary (online)...but I'm happy to have found one for my 1869 set.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice looking coin. Islamic coins with script designs and no pictorial elements didn't used to appeal much to me, but they're growing on me a bit. How big is that?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean you bought it from a seller in Hungary or you bought it while in Hungary?
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you mean you bought it from a seller in Hungary or you bought it while in Hungary? >>

Or perhaps while hungry? (Sorry, I had to image )
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the early morning (U.S.) humor image

I bought it online from a seller in Hugary.

The coin is about the size of a U.S. 20 cent piece.

And lordmarciovam as weird as it sounds these script coins are also growing on me.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them too:

Robert Louis Stevenson's 1883 novel Treasure Island had this to say:
    "... strange Oriental pieces stamped with what looked like wisps of string or bits of spider's web".

Ottoman Empire Sultani - Suleiman The Magnificent, AH 926 (AD 1520)
    Gold, 20mm, 3.50gm

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>stamped with what looked like wisps of string or bits of spider's web >>

That's a pretty apt description. No wonder Robert Louis Stevenson was such an immortal wordsmith.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Given that I'm now buying a lot of these raw and some even from overseas, and it was in grading for a while, I just assumed it's either a fake or some other problem, but to my pleasant surprise it graded! PCGS XF45. Pop 1, no other specimens graded.

The research probably takes longer for a Pop 1 coin at PCGS (when no others have been graded). They probably have to create a new PCGS# for it, etc., in their system, but at the end I'm psyched I got it into a PCGS holder image

Just wanted to circle back with you guys on this coin...