Home Precious Metals
Options

Sugar vs. silver

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
For a number of years I've always noticed some pretty good linkage between the chart movements of silver vs. sugar. While sugar might seem a bit far-fetched to many it's probably the closest linked non-PM commodity to silver. The sugar chart shows an impressive 20 year expanding wedge pattern that isn't quite yet complete. A move down to $9-$10 would be needed for completion. There's also a very strong wedge from 2007-2012 that reinforces the action from 1995. Sugar turning around at some point would be a plus for silver.

Sugar

Silver

Sugar chart from the 1970's showing similar peaks to silver in 1974 and 1980-81. Interesting that the higher one came in 1974

Not sure why the finviz chart looks quite a bit different from 1995-2008.
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's because silver is sweet.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them pop ups are a pain though.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any theories as to why there appears to be a relationship? Or is that like the old theory of stock market vs. skirt length? Just coincidence...chart enough variables and some will seem to track... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The relationship is that both are commodities. That is all.

What could also be interpreted is that silver isn't very precious and has no special or magical abilities above that of a simple plant.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried stirring a silver quarter into my coffee, wouldn't even dissolve, much less sweeten the brew. Tried to trade the silver quarter for a cup of coffee, tried several places, no one offering more than 25 cents credit.

Score stands at Sugar 2, silver 0

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry