Home Precious Metals
Options

Off Topic a tad, but I miss Bears sanity, and style...

Still miss the bear, his contributions to this world, this community, and our endeavors, in our journey. This post ought not offend

anyone who was around to enjoy his, "Bear" Tales, and other creative Quests, and knowledge. Take care. jws

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still miss the Bear too "jelly donut" take care cheers B

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "Still miss the Bear too "jelly donut" take care cheers Bl" Baley.

image Take care. jws
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... I miss the Bear... particularly his Tales of Coinalot... but he was a sharp guy and always interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Wise 'ole Bear Abe.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Bear will always be missed.imageimageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>particularly his Tales of Coinalot >>

Coinalot was the genre invention of Clankeye, and brilliantly done. Bear attempted a few lesser sequels in admiration after Clankeye moved on.

Bear was a good fellow.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    I am one of the fortunate few forum members that got to meet Abe in person.

Some things his forum persona did not reveal include: Bear was a first rate numismatist. He often played the forum fool, but his dealer connections, and skill at grading were first rate. Bear didn't do much forum personal small talk. He lived a full life, which included kids and grandkids.

I remember Bear telling this forum that he was cashing in most of his silver bullion when it was around $35 on the way up. Almost everyone on the forum told him he was selling too soon. Perhaps, but wise old Bear probably knew that virtually no one gets out at the top of a bubble market, and that smart money leaves some on the table. How many that told Bear that he was selling too soon would be happy to sell at $30 these many years later? As his signature said:

Wise old Bear

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    RIP Bear.
    I feel somewhat saddened however as some have posted that his estate purchases near the end were not well done, overpaid etc. I know I am far from perfect also. RIP.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>RIP Bear.
    I feel somewhat saddened however as some have posted that his estate purchases near the end were not well done, overpaid etc. I know I am far from perfect also. RIP. >>

Let me say the critics are idiots, among the worst kind of people in the hobby. Basically the estate broke even after fees while Bear got a lot of joy and a reason to keep going in his final days from the project.

I made several comparisons. What if your aging parent always wanted to attend a SuperBowl or Master Golf tournament, or travel to Paris, or maybe own a Corvette before they passed. Would you begrudge him/her from spending THEIR money in that way? It isn't even that because Bear basically broke even after fees. Again, my opinion is that the critics are among the worst kind of people in the hobby. Busy bodies wanted to manage other people's lives and money. Begrudging a dying man some joy in his final days.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RIP Bear.
    I feel somewhat saddened however as some have posted that his estate purchases near the end were not well done, overpaid etc. I know I am far from perfect also. RIP. >>

I think his intention was for them to be held for the long term not sold right away.