Home Precious Metals
Options

Sorry to be ignorant: Is it time for me to buy some AGEs?

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    If I had some $$ I dive deeeep!image $40 over what standard use to be around here. Sell $20 over buy $40 over. Never a bad day to buy AGE's.image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a good day.... is it the 'best' day?? Now if we knew that, we would all be buying...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They say, The best time to plant a tree is 15 years ago; the second best time is today.

I do not know why they don't say that The second best time is 14 years ago. It's just an expression.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it time for you? That's not an ignorant question, but it's also not a question that anyone else can answer in a vacuum. It does depend on your financial position, your personal circumstances and your age.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm routinely buying F-XF pre-1933 gold at melt. Slabbed, even.

I appreciate the predictable cookie-cutter approach to gold that AGEs offers. But man are they dull.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm routinely buying F-XF pre-1933 gold at melt. Slabbed, even.

I appreciate the predictable cookie-cutter approach to gold that AGEs offers. But man are they dull. >>

Even ms62 Saints would be dull after buying and looking at 100 of them.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I sold a doctor 3 ms62 Saints common dates he pulled a 2 x 4 foot tray 4 inches deep out of his safe. packed full of slabbed Saints - vertically. Gold was $390-400 then. He sold at $860 he told me. I need to give him a call see if he is filling that tray againimage Proof spouses are my melt playimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My CC was smoking from all the sub melt ebay bucks deals.

I'm spoiled.

For those that don't get the ebay bucks offers these types of deals are good. Just be aware that last week was partly brutal IMO. It couldn't hold a rally on Tuesday-Wednesday with a declining dollar. The partly part is where it didn't crater sub 1170. But this week? I'd be against anything but an over $50 under spot bucks deal. I'm just not sure what this week might hold.

And also be aware that last quarter, at the end, there were @ spot offers that didn't involve bucks.

I sure wish I had bought a credit suisse then. Woulda shoulda coulda.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    2669 sold, 0 available now. $3,224,152 worth.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input, guys.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSR today is 73.60

If that doesn't tell you what to purchase then you should be watching television.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GSR today is 73.60

If that doesn't tell you what to purchase then you should be watching television. >>

For those that don't know how to use it, please explain. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Gold to Silver Ratio

The Gold-to-Silver Ratio: What is It and Why Does It Matter?

For experienced investors, the gold-to-silver ratio is one of many indicators used to determine the right (and wrong) time to buy or sell their precious metals.

Other factors – including economic uncertainty, inflation frenzy and debt – have encouraged millions to invest in gold and silver, and in the past few years, small-scale investors have begun to climb aboard.

Yet despite these market developments, to many, the gold-to-silver ratio remains a vague, elusive mystery.

So what IS the Gold-to-Silver Ratio and why does it even matter?

Good question. First, a simple definition: Basically, the gold-to-silver ratio is the amount of silver it takes to purchase one ounce of gold.

While there are countless websites providing the current ratio, it’s relatively painless to calculate on your own.

Simply take the price of gold, divide it by the price of silver and Voilà! You have the gold-to-silver ratio.

Investors who trade gold bullion, silver bullion and other precious metals scrutinize the gold-to-silver ratio as a signal for the right time to buy or sell a particular metal.

When the ratio is high, the general consensus is that silver is favored. This is because, relative to the ratio, silver is somewhat cheap.

Conversely, a low ratio tends to favor gold and may be a signal it’s a good time to buy the yellow metal. Many large-scale, experienced investors may trade their silver for gold as the ratio drops.

Unfortunately, because the gold-to-silver ratio fluctuates so wildly, it can be difficult for novice or small-scale investors to read the signals and make a profit.

Typically, the gold-to-silver ratio serves as an impetus for diversifying holdings (experienced investors agree that diversity is good). If one investment flops, alternate investments in your portfolio pick up the slack – or losses.

http://www.providentmetals.com/knowledge-center/gold-to-silver-ratio-explained.html
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Which is all well and good--unless you're a stacker rather than a trader.

In my current circumstance, I'm just interested in adding to my Au holdings for the long term. So gold is on sale relative to what it was 2 or 3 years ago, by 25% to 30%.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Well that was an excellent intro to GSR that Weiss posted.

Wait, there's more!!

Run a 10 or 20 year graph on GSR. There are times it's above 70 and times it's below 50. Recently IIRC it hit up tp 80!!!! And then down below 40.

You only have a limited time above 70. Check your graph. Buy as much standard generic silver above 70 as you can comfortably purchase. Once it start declining into the 60's- taper your purchases.

Eventually it PROBABLY will slide below 50.

If you decide to exit silver at that point...70 downto GSR 50....it will take you(less transaction cost) 50 ounces of silver to buy one ounce of gold. You have 20 ounces left over. You buy 2/5 oz with that.
    Of course it is not this easy-just in theory.

Gold is the object, silver is the vehicle. 2-5 year cycles.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    So that means that gold is expected to decline in value less, or decline in value more, than silver over the next few years?

• Options
    Just a couple of bon mots

This really is time to be pulling the trigger on ALL THERE PCGS63 2 &1/2 libs ( pre 1900), $5 Indians, $10 libs and indians.

Historic cyclical lows.

I just picked up a PCGS 63+ 1896 2 1/2 lib for $500. Three years ago...over a grand. Beautiful coin. An excellent time to add two & half libs.

One ounce gold sure is selling right now but not to me.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>So that means that gold is expected to decline in value less, or decline in value more, than silver over the next few years? >>

Bailey,

I don't know. But remember a couple of years ago silver was around $30 and gold was oh...?$1400. That's the time to sell 46 oz of silver to purchase an ounce of gold. Good time to unload silver.

Price is not my primary concern. The size of the stack is my concern. I am not in the loop to know about price but GSR is understood by my brain.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    How much of the GSR advantage do you forgo in transaction costs when you sell & then buy?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JM,

Hard to tell. Right NOW I'm having good luck with 64 Kennedy's. I never leave a coin shop without buying them. Maybe in the last six months 12-13x face. At the gun shows 11-12x face. I can sell them for more in fact I did the Orange County gun show two weekends ago and sold rolls for 14.5x

Technically I have eliminated transaction costs by making a small profit. YMMV. It works for me on a small scale because we have 20 million people down here in the basin.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Direct face to face selling does eliminate dealer spreads, postage & insurance costs, ebay & paypal fees. As long as the venue is secure, it's all good. They have gun shows in CA? Not much crime at a gun show, lol.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It's not time. Not if you're seeking advice here.
  • Options
    Gun shows in Cal?-------every weekend brother but Orange County is five+ buildings and the only one worth selling at. Saturday between 10am-4pm---you can't see across the aisle.

If I get withdrawals I can go to Los Wages, one every weekend. We also have antique firearm shows.

Who knew?

Truck loads(pup trailers) of ammo disappear.

CCW classes, NRA recruiters, hot babes. At Del Mar Fairgrounds, the USMC women scare the guys...they're better shooters.

Google 'Crossroads of the West'.

And sellers can count on being approached at least once per weekend with a DOJ sting operation. We have fun with them.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>No. It's not time. Not if you're seeking advice here. >>

Goat herderimage that's the great thing if one is a stacker/ trader...with GSR one doesn't need to be as concerned with
    the 'right time' . Anytime darn near above 70 is a decent time to turn gold into silver or accumulate silver.

Please keep us posted as to the 'right time' and let me know why you made that decision. I have an idea, start a thread today and each day on that thread tell why it is not the 'right time' .

Chuck out.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    I'm feeling $1050 gold in the short term. Downtrend is not yet over.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No. It's not time. Not if you're seeking advice here. >>

Goat herderimage that's the great thing if one is a stacker/ trader...with GSR one doesn't need to be as concerned with
    the 'right time' . Anytime darn near above 70 is a decent time to turn gold into silver or accumulate silver.

Please keep us posted as to the 'right time' and let me know why you made that decision. I have an idea, start a thread today and each day on that thread tell why it is not the 'right time' .

Chuck out. >>

I will sell the OP the 4 1996 AGE tenth ounce gold coins I purchased in the shop from an woman who paid $100 each for them. PM me for prices.
    Goat herders and rocket scientists welcome. image
  • Options
    2x

Are you trolling for customersimage
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>2x

Are you trolling for customersimage >>

No, I'm playing with farm animals online.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2x

No, I'm playing with farm animals online. >>

Slow day at the coin shop I see. Sell those itty bitty gold things if you get a customer.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2x

No, I'm playing with farm animals online. >>

Are ewe having fun with it?image
  • Options

<< <i>How much of the GSR advantage do you forgo in transaction costs when you sell & then buy? >>

A bigger issue IMO is that buying and/or selling gold can quickly escalate to involving large amounts of cash which has a tendency to leave tracks. A roll of AGEs is knockin on the door of $24K whereas a roll of ASEs is under $400.
  • Options
    The right time is when it walks in at a price that isn't debated but is lower than what it costs in the open market. And the "pickers" ? That's why they're called " pickers and grinners" The STUFF is readily available, but an AGE is good to have in small or large denominations. Whether $5, $10 or $50. The good finds are in the half ounce, or $25 denominations, but no need to tell which years are the best bargains. Why not let the pickers do that ?

No spam or advice intended. It "could be" time to buy some AGEs. That is , if EWES ready to go round the herd from what you heard.
  • Options
    sellers can count on being approached at least once per weekend with a DOJ sting operation. We have fun with them. image

Say what? You mean, the same DOJ who made their mark selling weapons to the cartels and then forgetting to actually track them? THAT DOJ?

Are they afraid of some competition, or what?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JM,
    The setups come in all flavors but there is one rule,

Good people don't ask strangers to commit a felony. These DOJ clowns can be spotted a mile away. We have fun with them. Every show they try with a different M.O.

One time a little snake tries to sell me a Webly Jr. and tries to essplain Lucy in his best Cuban accent that his Grand pappy used it in the Spanish-American War in 1898. So he comes by at 4pm Saturday..everybody is tired of course and I make him spend 30 minutes trying to get me to bite.

You have to know my neighbors at the show in our little pod. A retired Seal, a retired Army Captain, a 35 year old Marine with three tours in the sand box, a son of a Holocaust survivor and me and I'm displaying my Lapua 338 on my table. The Seal is three ft. From me with his back turned of course he's listening to everything and is trying to keep a straight face. (Webly is English breach load ww2). He later told me he would have tackled me if I would have bit on the illegal sale offer.
    Lol
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a couple of bon mots

This really is time to be pulling the trigger on ALL THERE PCGS63 2 &1/2 libs ( pre 1900), $5 Indians, $10 libs and indians.

Historic cyclical lows.

I just picked up a PCGS 63+ 1896 2 1/2 lib for $500. Three years ago...over a grand. Beautiful coin. An excellent time to add two & half libs.

One ounce gold sure is selling right now but not to me. >>

So why not 2.5 Indians? I like the look of those better than Liberties.
    Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins
  • Options

<< <i>So why not 2.5 Indians? I like the look of those better than Liberties. >>

A heavily counterfeited series. Buy them certified or know how to tell the difference.

• Options
    2 1/2 p63 Indians are all over. Pre 1900 libs are much scarcer in generic 63.

At Long Beach dealers were hoarding generic p63 generic gold and buying everything at these levels.

2&1/2 libs, $5 Indians, $10 libs and Indians are on sale right now. 65 $20 libs may also be undervalued.

Didn't a $2 1/2 lib just sell for $420 on BST. Holy Toledo.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    I am unable to effectively gauge the market at shows due to life in the B&M every day for 6 years.
    Even so, I typically have to eat crow and my words. Yet, I make few apologies for them or others' interpretation of them. If they hurt anyone, I apologize. By the way, gents and ladies, THAT is never my intent. Without further adieu ( Moo to you too image ) … back to this discussion.

"do you think it's time to buy some AGEs ? "

Given this link ?

PCGS Price Guide on AGEs
  • Options

<< <i>JM,

Good people don't ask strangers to commit a felony. These DOJ clowns can be spotted a mile away. We have fun with them. Every show they try with a different M.O.

One time a little snake tries to sell me a Webly Jr. and tries to essplain Lucy in his best Cuban accent that his Grand pappy used it in the Spanish-American War in 1898. So he comes by at 4pm Saturday..everybody is tired of course and I make him spend 30 minutes trying to get me to bite.

You have to know my neighbors at the show in our little pod. A retired Seal, a retired Army Captain, a 35 year old Marine with three tours in the sand box, a son of a Holocaust survivor and me and I'm displaying my Lapua 338 on my table. The Seal is three ft. From me with his back turned of course he's listening to everything and is trying to keep a straight face. (Webly is English breach load ww2). He later told me he would have tackled me if I would have bit on the illegal sale offer.
    Lol >>

Why is it against the law to buy or sell a Weebly breech loader? It's a C&R piece, isn't it?
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I think it's time for the mint to start striking AGEs aka All Gold Eagles that are pure gold just like the Buffalo coins.
  • Options
    … back to this discussion.

"do you think it's time to buy some AGEs ? "

I dunno... is you flush with cash and you wants to get you some AGEs?

I personally am not buying AGEs at this time, no

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>JM,

Lol >>

Why is it against the law to buy or sell a Weebly breech loader? It's a C&R piece, isn't it? >>

Weiss, very legal to own but was offered as a historic exemption pre 1900 handgun and was smuggled into the show. It just has to go through a waiting period. The guy didn't have a trigger tie and wanted cash. That's a no-no out here.
    Have a nice day