Home Precious Metals

Is anyone noticing a question about "brand" on one ounce silvers?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am in the process of dumping ALL my silver GENERIC rounds.
Actulally swapping for gold and keeping only the 90% ..coin.. and GOVERNMENT made rounds. e.g. Silver Eagles, Mex Libertads, Maples, etc.

Now what has prompted me to this action is my noticing lately that if I ask a dealer for his bid on generic rounds, quite a few are asking "what brand?"

Now my experience in this market since 1971 and bullion since 1979 has shown that the questioning of "brand" is ....usually.... a death knell to a bullion product.

I've postulated such on another forum and am being pooh poohed about my observation.

Yet there it stands.

LATELY (past year or so) I have been confronted with a question about the "brand" of my generics if I want to trade or sell.

I should note that I ....ALWAYS.... use the word "generic" when asking to let them know I am NOT talking about Silver Eagles.

So..... I am asking here if this is something you also have noticed or if it's simply a local condition.

To me, a bullion product must be completely fungible regardless of brand or I have no faith in future liquidity of the product.

So, here's the poll:

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stick with ASE's, AGE's, 90% dollars, assayed gold in sealed cards and brand name silver bars from reputable sellers, JMO.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only buy silver bars or rounds that are produced by recognized companies. The bars or rounds must be identified on the bar or round as part of its design. I'm not interested in bars or rounds where I have no idea who made them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I only buy silver bars or rounds that are produced by recognized companies. The bars or rounds must be identified on the bar or round as part of its design. I'm not interested in bars or rounds where I have no idea who made them. >>

Of COURSE they must be a legit brand. But ...lately.... I've found less than eagerness on anything but the govt ones.

That's why I'm polling. To see if this is just local or if anyone else is getting grimaces when they mention "Sunshine" or "NWTM" or others BESIDES the Eagles.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I only buy silver bars or rounds that are produced by recognized companies. The bars or rounds must be identified on the bar or round as part of its design. I'm not interested in bars or rounds where I have no idea who made them. >>

Of COURSE they must be a legit brand. But ...lately.... I've found less than eagerness on anything but the govt ones.

That's why I'm polling. To see if this is just local or if anyone else is getting grimaces when they mention "Sunshine" or "NWTM" or others BESIDES the Eagles. >>

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a negotiating tactic to get your silver at a low ball price.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Doubt it as being a retired dealer, I'm pretty familiar with jargons.

I do know that when I'm bothering local guys I know in their shops, I am seeing a far higher number of silver BUYERS paying the extra premium for the Eagles
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing number of decent counterfeits out there means going through a "mixed generic" batch take more labor, and risk. If I were bulk buying that stuff, I'd want to be compensated by a cheaper price, and might even require the seller to "sort it" first

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Mixed rolls ya have to look at em all not just count em.
    I've had CU/NI rounds as well as circ commem dollars in rolls.
    Now there are the counterfeit ones to contend with.
    There's an electronic instrument out to check silver but it is $600 so you would have to be dealing in a lot to justify it.

Edit to add.
    So yea, you can expect less for a mixed roll that has to be checked than a solid roll of AMarks, Sunshine or such.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brand is and has always been important when assigning value to generic bullion.

Some brands are more counterfeited, some brands are more sought after by buyers.

I personally have always avoided the generic stuff since non-generic costs just a little more. Re-sell should be a consideration of any bullion investment.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stick mainly to ASE's, AGE's or Mexican gold.... Krugerrand's are acceptable as well as Maple Leafs....The few 'rounds' or 'bars' I have are themed and I purchased them for that reason. (i.e. a Secretariat bar). Cheers, RickO
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>brand is and has always been important when assigning value to generic bullion.

Some brands are more counterfeited, some brands are more sought after by buyers.

I personally have always avoided the generic stuff since non-generic costs just a little more. Re-sell should be a consideration of any bullion investment. >>

This man speaketh with wise tongue!
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Silver is silver

I have a problem paying $4 over on a $15 ASE.

Now $40 over on a $1,200 AGE I can pay with no problem.

Something that I can not shake the premium percentage to value of metal.
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>Silver is silver

Something that I can not shake the premium percentage to value of metal. >>

Unless you're buying just a couple, there is no reason to pay $4 over for an ASE.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had an issue with "brand" in the shops around me. Silver eagles get the best price with all the generic stuff lumped together a few bucks lower.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Silver is silver

Unless you're buying just a couple, there is no reason to pay $4 over for an ASE. >>

OK then $2 or $3 seems highimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    In truth, for any substantial commitment, choosing silver over gold is pretty much silly.

I have pared my silver down to a reasonable ratio.

I had WAY too much.

Will never get more.

Gold? Nuther story.

Coors, I never saw any reason to buy guld in smaller than 20 oz tranches.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Silver is silver

Unless you're buying just a couple, there is no reason to pay $4 over for an ASE. >>

OK then $2 or $3 seems highimage >>

True, but the Mint imposes a $2 surcharge right out of the gate and for the most part this seems to persist in the marketplace.image It's just as easy to pay too much for rounds and bars.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Silver is silver

OK then $2 or $3 seems highimage >>

True, but the Mint imposes a $2 surcharge right out of the gate and for the most part this seems to persist in the marketplace.image It's just as easy to pay too much for rounds and bars. >>

If your seller bought them lower he often looks for lower premium just to make a profitable sale. Unfortunately most ASEs on the market were not bought at a lower price.

At $40 silver I was selling them close to spot and still seeing over a 200% return. Aftermarket premiums tend to be higher as the spot price goes lower

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.