Home Precious Metals

If you had $250K disposable right now, what would you do with it?

RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
Not that I do but I'd like to hear some ideas.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not that I do but I'd like to hear some ideas. >>

American Pharoah to win

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Depends on investor time horizon and risks. For me, Id do something like this.

100k down on two rental properties (50k each @ 20% down)
    50k gold in age's
    50k silver in ase's
    50k in a solid mutual fund (my vote would be PONDX; multi sector approach to specific areas in the bond mkt with low duration, nice stable fund for long term growth)
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/2 WW2 USMC, aviator, paratrooper, officer, North Africa memoribilia, field gear and personal
    effects.

1/4 1967-72 Husqvarna bikes, pre 1969 Honda bikes <100cc & mini trails.

1/4 cash.
    Have a nice day
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $225,000 for 1981 cent struck on nickel planchet and the rest on silver pirate rounds, zombucks, and poured ingots shaped like derringer pistols

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50K into remaining 2014-W Unc Gold Spouses from the Mint

50K into 2015-W Proof Platinum Eagles from the Mint

50K into rolls of regular issue 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz Unc AGEs from a Mint distributor

50K into cash

50K to pay down debt and/or mortgage (adjust %'s of all of the above to eliminate all debt).

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Red >>

Funny, cause the first word that popped into my head was "bkack". Darn it, derryb, we just just have a hard time agreeing on anything. Lol
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Land - with mature pinesimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Land - with mature pinesimage >>

In a beetle free area?
    Mature means they are ready to cut- beetle free area now I don't think that is possible in the south.
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>Mature means they are ready to cut- beetle free area now I don't think that is possible in the south. >>

what ya gonna do with all those stumps?

• bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Red >>

Funny, cause the first word that popped into my head was "bkack". Darn it, derryb, we just just have a hard time agreeing on anything. Lol >>

Red or black?...everybody knows the most sound investment is playng the "bank(sters)" ;~)
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    Pay off the house and car. Whatever is left, I'd spend on silver and take a trip with the missus.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I hit that today...the upcoming trip to the Bahamas would be dangerous, ha! Blackjack and roullette for sure.

Otherwise, pay off the house.
    Maybe 20k gold
    20k cash
    Rest in a trading account.

<< <i>

<< <i>Mature means they are ready to cut- beetle free area now I don't think that is possible in the south. >>

what ya gonna do with all those stumps? >>

Got me there I was just going to get fast ROI- then replant. RED sounds much easierimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    Why would you pay off a mortgage with a historically low interest rate? Can you not find an investment that yields more than that rate or is it a desire to not have debt, even if that debt?

Debt on an appreciating asset is much different than debt on a depreciating one.

Stumps are usually bulldozed into a pIle and burned or left to decompose. People solved that problem a long time ago.

<< <i>Stumps are usually bulldozed into a pIle and burned or left to decompose. People solved that problem a long time ago. >>

Did they solve the expense that it creates?

Red has no expenses, even the drinks are free. image

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1794 dollar.land with whatever is left,with a pond full of bluegills
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Buy the first 20,000 units of my (confidential right now) invention for distribution. Take the remaining cash and ramp up my product's online presence and buy a small warehouse and then pour the proceeds into more inventory. Wash, rinse, repeat until I'm set and livin' in Baleyville.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you pay off a mortgage with a historically low interest rate? Can you not find an investment that yields more than that rate or is it a desire to not have debt, even if that debt?

Debt on an appreciating asset is much different than debt on a depreciating one.

Because I didn't need the expense of refinancing nor the recurring payments. Finding a higher-yielding investment wasn't a consideration. Getting rid of a comparatively high interest rate payment was. Why perpetuate dependency on a bank loan?

Lastly, who can guarantee me that it was an appreciating asset rather than a depreciating one? That will only be relevant when it's sold. It's (probably) a permanent residence, so there's a lasting residual benefit in not having continued interest and principal payments.

No need for micro-management once a decision is made. My time is better spent managing and harvesting my business and buying precious metals at today's reasonable prices.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up to $100K in AGEs, dollar cost averaged DOWN. My first purchase would be my highest cost. Probably buy in increments of 10 or 20 coins.

Up to $50K in ASES. Again I'd DCA DOWN. Probably buy 5 monster boxes one at a time.

$100K in something like Apple.

The rest; $25K as $50s & $100s in CASH and some in a higher roller account at my bank and maybe some for a decent lawyer.

I would re-title as having disposable funds as opposed to income. Income usually [BUT NOT ALWAYS] suggests a repeating stream as opposed to a one time event.

<< <i>Why would you pay off a mortgage with a historically low interest rate? Can you not find an investment that yields more than that rate or is it a desire to not have debt, even if that debt?

Debt on an appreciating asset is much different than debt on a depreciating one. >>

A lot of people simply don't want the burden of the payments. Most folks probably have other obligations besides that, like monthly payments on 1 or more auto loans. Of course one would pay those off first.

<< <i>Stumps are usually bulldozed into a pIle and burned or left to decompose. People solved that problem a long time ago. >>

That bulldozer would KILL ~ ROI Now I been here 21 years all the stumps are lighter make super kinlin.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    Been owning my house on 9 acres since 2000 put all that extra $$ in coins,PMs, and living. My property taxes went up this last year to $117. Life is good debt freeimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Buy more farmland near my existing farmland.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

<< <i>

Cut them close to the ground and stumps won't be an issue.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cut them close to the ground and stumps won't be an issue. >>

Mean Machines I listen to these often around here.
    Pulp wooders dream machine
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>

That bulldozer would KILL ~ ROI Now I been here 21 years all the stumps are lighter make super kinlin. >>

and really, is 21 years all that long to wait for a good supply of kindling wood? Naaaaa

This is my Baleyvilleimageimage

Kindling - thanks I took wild stab at the spellingimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    it does sound nice! image

Your 'ville is where you find it.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 1:13PM

<< <i>This is my Baleyvilleimageimage

Kindling - thanks I took wild stab at the spellingimage >>

kinlin sounds like burning relatives.image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cut them close to the ground and stumps won't be an issue. >>

Mean Machines I listen to these often around here.
    Pulp wooders dream machine >>

If I bought any ground timbered or otherwise, it would be for recreational use. I wouldn't want a commercial logger within 100 miles of it.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why would you pay off a mortgage with a historically low interest rate? Can you not find an investment that yields more than that rate or is it a desire to not have debt, even if that debt?

Debt on an appreciating asset is much different than debt on a depreciating one. >>

A lot of people simply don't want the burden of the payments. Most folks probably have other obligations besides that, like monthly payments on 1 or more auto loans. Of course one would pay those off first. >>

I pay all the other bills, house is on the woman. You can figure the bonus points out.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    $1500/acre to wind row stumps and debris after clear cutting. A little cheaper if you're just going to wind row it to replant and not burn anything, but it leaves most of the stumps and looks horrible leaving huge piles of trimmings everywhere. The property next to mine just did that........what an eyesore that I have to dive by everyday twice a day.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    Yes the eye sore is true but pine trees are the new cotton around these parts. Land bounces back quite fast. I dunno why stumps would be in the way of a replant it looks like they plant them every foot around here. Thin them every 5 years or so.

I bet the OP is sick of my pine trees!image

Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>

<< <i>

A lot of people simply don't want the burden of the payments. Most folks probably have other obligations besides that, like monthly payments on 1 or more auto loans. Of course one would pay those off first. >>

I pay all the other bills, house is on the woman. You can figure the bonus points out. >>

Obligations are obligations regardless of who is paying what. Frankly, I don't miss them one bit. It's nice to have one's spending be optional instead of obligatory.

<< <i>Yes the eye sore is true but pine trees are the new cotton around these parts. Land bounces back quite fast. I dunno why stumps would be in the way of a replant it looks like they plant them every foot around here. Thin them every 5 years or so.

I bet the OP is sick of my pine trees!image

image >>

If one was going to drive on the property to any degree the lower the stumps the better.

<< <i>

American Pharoah to win

Mark >>

Wow, great call Mark!!

Congrats!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

American Pharoah to win

Mark >>

Wow, great call Mark!!

Congrats! >>

Now I have to figure out what to do with the $437,500image

Half I think in PANW or a basket of Internet security stocks

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • sebrownsebrown Posts: 424
    I'd hold cash awaiting what the future may bring!

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would cover 10% of the cost of the property I was hoping to buy this week. If only this week weren't over already.

<< <i>That would cover 10% of the cost of the property I was hoping to buy this week. If only this week weren't over already. >>

Buying Warren's cabin are ya, hey?image
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a hobby farm
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy a ticket to space.

[Link deleted]

Careful Baley....That's a link to a newsletter subscription. Dont be like one of them. Lol.

Nice call TMIMITW.

TMIMITW

<< <i>TMIMITW

image >>

The Most Interesting Magazine?? In The World?